• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #39: Resonance

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’ve reached the first stop, it’s not very far after the first introductions. most of the time I was stuck in the wiring the door panel puzzle that I then noticed it was optional Neutral

The timed sequence after that - Anna escaping the apartment was pretty intense, great how I was actually having a hard time cutting the rope due to the stress Smile

Now that there is some light about what it Resonance I have to say I don’t buy how Ed actually thought there was any possibility that the device was used for anything besides being a ultimate weapon!

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2004-09-28

PM

Ok, I just recorded myself playing the game for just over an hour and commenting on everything I could think of.  I get right up through the completion of the four intro scenes. The video is on Twitch right now, but I hope to edit it for YouTube soon.

Warning: the audio on my mic is waaaay too loud.  I didn’t realize how awful it was while I was streaming.  The mic is terrible quality and I apologize.  It’s almost unwatchable.  Again, really sorry.  I’ll try to run out and buy a mic before I play further.

Warning 2: I tried to be as non-spoilery as possible while playing and not discuss future plot points, but there may be small mentions of themes and details that come up later.  Nothing that should ruin your enjoyment of the game, but I just wanted to put that out there for the people who are extra sensitive about that sort of thing.

Here it is: https://www.twitch.tv/vincetwelve/v/65025543

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

wilco - 06 May 2016 10:15 AM

Did anyone not send the draft email from the secretary? Smile.

Nah, you get extra points for it.  Naughty

wilco - 06 May 2016 09:05 PM

most of the time I was stuck in the wiring the door panel puzzle that I then noticed it was optional Neutral

A true adventurer will do both the wiring and the front door puzzles!!  Innocent

wilco - 06 May 2016 09:05 PM

Now that there is some light about what it Resonance I have to say I don’t buy how Ed actually thought there was any possibility that the device was used for anything besides being a ultimate weapon!

Unlimited energy - unlimited possibilities!!

VinceTwelve - 07 May 2016 01:44 AM

I just recorded myself playing the game for just over an hour….

It was extremely interesting, with tons of commentary but yeah, the audio makes it almost unbearable. I’m looking forward for the next one with the new mic. Smile

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Yes, pretty funny that the character just started using it to charm the secretary after (had no idea such a word existed, of course).

I didn’t either, I found this part (and the subway part) to be quite funny.

This game has some real charm to it.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Karlok - 06 May 2016 08:01 AM

Time limits are handled very well in Resonance. IMO. Smile

Really like how they’re handled too. Gives a real sense or urgency but at the same time still allowing you to explore and try different things, knowing that the time rewind will come (great sequences btw) if you mess up.

I’ve reached the checkpoint now too. Remember being pretty stuck at the clock part on my first attempt at the game.

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Did anyone not send the draft email from the secretary? Smile.

Me - I didn’t notice there was a send button!  Laughing

Joined 2004-09-28

PM

Sefir - 07 May 2016 03:37 AM

A true adventurer will do both the wiring and the front door puzzles!!  Innocent

This!

I’m going to be too busy with family stuff to play for the next couple days, but will dive back in on Tuesday night.  I hope to pick up a new mic so I can record a video that doesn’t suck.

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

The different emails were a nice touch. Did anyone not send the draft email from the secretary? Smile.

Of course I couldn’t resist… These extra touches really add something to the game. Helps to establish the feeling that there is a large world out there, in which the game’s protagonists play a part. It’s nice if small-part NPC’s have some kind of back-story you can discover. So much more fun than the customary vending-machine NPCs.

We really got stuck on getting the wrench. We knew Saul had used it to break the window to get out, but just confronting him with his story LTM and the maintenance cupboard STM or the window STM didn’t give any results. Only after a break of a day I started adding anything remotely related to tools to the STM and then the valve STM triggered a successful use of Saul’ story LTM. In this case we (and Ed and Bennett who kept mentioning to each other they needed a wrench) had all the info, but we had some difficulty finding the right memory to talk about to progress.

Sefir - 07 May 2016 03:37 AM

Now that you mention it, I realize that this time we solved the front door puzzle and on my first playthrough I had solved the wiring puzzle. I already had the feeling something was missing this time Wink It’s good to have alternative solutions that both fit naturally into the flow of the game.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

kabouter - 08 May 2016 06:47 AM

We really got stuck on getting the wrench. We knew Saul had used it to break the window to get out, but just confronting him with his story LTM and the maintenance cupboard STM or the window STM didn’t give any results. Only after a break of a day I started adding anything remotely related to tools to the STM and then the valve STM triggered a successful use of Saul’ story LTM. In this case we (and Ed and Bennett who kept mentioning to each other they needed a wrench) had all the info, but we had some difficulty finding the right memory to talk about to progress.

The STM is an interesting mechanic, usually the these kind of dialogue options are automatic and even if you didn’t think about it, showing up in the dialogue options just gives the idea of what to do. In this game you have to actually know what you should ask to be able to solve the puzzle. Very cool mechanic.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

getting the wrench

I am glad to hear that I was not the only one stuck on this part. Took me a while to figure this one out.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Crap…I have to hurry up. It doesn’t help that Uncharted 4 will arrive tomorrow. D=

Joined 2004-09-28

PM

Hey! I bought a new mic!  It’s way better now! And I played for an hour and a half!

https://www.twitch.tv/vincetwelve/v/65761424

This covers the scenes from the Juno Laboratory through the time when all four characters come together, minus a small part of exposition at the end.  I’ll continue next time.

I talk about the thought process that went into designing a lot of the puzzles and interactions.  I comment on the wrench puzzle which a lot of you got stuck on and spend a lot of time trying to justify the maze! Smile

I hope you enjoy this one much more than the last video.

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Speaking of the maze, how many of you used the pesos to help you find the way?
I remember that in my first playthrough I have completely forgotten their existance! Smile

Total Posts: 68

Joined 2016-01-06

PM

Sorry for jumping in late, there was work and stuff…
Yesterday I finished the first part, it took two sittings. So far so good.

Vince, I think you’re too hard on yourself, all puzzles were reasonable, I found both the clock and the wrench puzzle kind of intuitive, and I don’t think the loose bar was a pixel-hunt either. And the in-depth hacking was really cool.

The only thing I would change was the pop-up help about the unique mechanics, they should have appeared immediately imo, not just after the player fumbled around for a while.
Actually the 12 step How to Play covers every new mechanic, so maybe that should have been made mandatory when someone starts a new game.

I didn’t really get stuck anywhere… except at the wire puzzle, which I found tedious to be honest, and happily abandoned once I realized it’s optional. It’s probably just personal preference though (or maybe I just wasn’t smart enough to crack it Tongue).

Have to agree with wilco, I really like that with the use of STMs Resonance makes the conversations more challenging, which are usually a really underdeveloped part of adventure games.
The timed sequences were a welcome change in pace too, I liked the tension.

I actually laughed out loud when Ray cracked the first password. It’s kind of an old joke, sure, but seeing the password deciphered letter by letter, and realizing midway what it was was totally hilarious. Grin
Loved all the e-mails in that part btw.

Haven’t viewed the commentary playthroughs yet because of spoilers, but I’m going to. Should be very interesting, thanks for taking the time to make these.

Noddy - 07 May 2016 10:07 AM

Me - I didn’t notice there was a send button!

I didn’t either, even though I really wanted to send that e-mail. Frown
But I reloaded a save once I read you guys, and did it just for fun. Naughty

Sefir - 11 May 2016 03:11 AM

Speaking of the maze, how many of you used the pesos to help you find the way?

I did. 1 for “I’ve come from this tunnel” and 2 for verified dead-ends.
Could have managed without this, I guess, but is was fun.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

used the pesos to help you find the way?

I know I did. I found the maze section of the game interesting - different from the adventure game norm.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top