• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dalewalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #39: Resonance

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Was about to play it. Just now found out there is a community playthrough so why not join? What is the first checkpoint?

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Origami - 05 May 2016 05:50 PM

Was about to play it. Just now found out there is a community playthrough so why not join? What is the first checkpoint?

Sefir - 05 May 2016 02:44 AM

You have one week (until the 12th of May) to reach the moment where you can handle all 4 protagonists together!!

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2016-04-19

PM

And.. I’m already stuck. Granted, there were more things for me to try, but the obvious ones didn’t work.

I picked the top-right clock for my first protagonist, Ray. Seems to be up to no good. The Short-term Memory feature is interesting in this game. However, I can’t figure out which item to use in my conversation with the Secretary.

I’m also used to games that have a dozen different ways to interact with items. This one simplifies it nicely. Left-Click, Interact, Right-Click, Look. Now I’m trying to remember which games had a Lick or Taste option. I guess when you want to cover all the senses..

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Hexamony - 05 May 2016 06:24 PM

And.. I’m already stuck….

You can grab items from the environment around you (or memories you may have stored) and put them in the conversation.

More specifically, [spoiler]time to tell her to leave[/spoiler]....

Perhaps you will be glad to know that Ray’s first chapter is by far the hardest of the four.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I played the 4 characters introductions, no idea what it’s going on but it’s a strong intro. Also a nice way to introduce the various gameplay mechanics without having a tutorial. Favorite was the journalist with the Short-term memory puzzle and the computer hacking/code finding (the “passwords”... lol). Also liked that you had to figure out the pieces of how you got there and what are the objectives learning to use the phone
The little girl sequence was also very good. I was actually not expecting it was an actual timed sequence and monster. Just thought she was just scared of something else, but then it was a monster, and then a dream Smile. Nice sound effects in that sequence.
The other 2 were more usual adventure stuff with the hardboiled cop and the creppy stalker? nerd but the game is looking very promising.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Yes, I forgot to mention that. There are indeed timed sequennces in the game, but you will have infinite tries.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2004-09-28

PM

I’m about to start streaming some of my playthrough of Resonance on Twitch if anyone is interested.  Hopefully I can do an hour or so, but I might get interrupted.

https://www.twitch.tv/vincetwelve

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2016-04-19

PM

Sefir - 05 May 2016 06:42 PM
Hexamony - 05 May 2016 06:24 PM

And.. I’m already stuck….

You can grab items from the environment around you (or memories you may have stored) and put them in the conversation.

More specifically, [spoiler]time to tell her to leave[/spoiler]....

Perhaps you will be glad to know that Ray’s first chapter is by far the hardest of the four.

Yeah. I’d figured out the Short-Term Memory feature, but I missed the clues that told me what to use. In hindsight, yeah. I’d read his phone memos… Off to a great start. Tongue

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

My wife and I reached the first checkpoint last night Laughing But we started a few days early, as we we’ll busy with other stuff for the next week or so and will probably fall behind during the second phase.

Hexamony, the point where you got stuck was also the first point where we were wondering what to do for a while (until my wife thought of asking about the clock). We had a bigger issue later on not knowing what to add to the Short Term Memory to make the characters understand what we wanted to do, but I’ll wait with commenting on that until more people have reached that point.

Vince, I saw on your Twitter that something went wrong with archiving your stream. Shame about that. Is it hard to play the game and not spoil major plot points from the beginning?

I had almost forgotten those timed sequences in the game… My wife was controlling the mouse when we reached Anna’s opening dream segment, and she kind of panicked because of the stress… So if the intention was to stress people out, it works (at least on some)!

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I also have reached the first checkpoint, it does not take long to reach it, the game plays well and I do like the story and characters so far.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’m not going to replay Resonance right now, but I’d like to say that it’s an excellent game which I enjoyed a lot. In my top twenty. I don’t want to miss Vince Twelve’s comments, so I’ll be reading this thread.

@Kabouter: The Anna sequence would not have the same impact without the feeling of urgency. Time limits are handled very well in Resonance. IMO. Smile

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2004-09-28

PM

I played the Ed and Anna intros on stream last night, but as kabouter said, I didn’t properly tell Twitch to archive the stream so it is lost to the ether!  Blargh!  I think I’ll replay it tomorrow with archiving properly enabled so that I can publish a complete playthrough to YouTube.

I was really torn on whether or not I should include spoilers in my discussion as its hard not to point out the hints and details that are sprinkled around the game.  But I will try to keep it as non-spoilery as possible if anyone wants to watch.

Here are the parts that stuck out to me:

The opening video came together better than my wildest expectations.  Stacey Davidson (Jack Houston and the Necronauts) really was a hero on this. The 3d helicopter fly-over of the White House was nuts.  The newscaster voice was my dad!

The dead cell phone puzzle: This was added very late in development. The scene was originally just the conversation with Morales.  After a big user play-testing session with the Omaha Game Developer group, I could see that the first time many players had to use the drag-and-drop interaction with inventory items was in the Anna’s dream scene.  And it was totally unfair for them to have to learn to drag-and-drop while under time pressure.  So, I jimmied a quick key-on-drawer tutorial puzzle into the first room.

The subway scene: I tried so hard to not make Ed seem like a total creep in this scene and failed miserably! LOL.  The loose bar puzzle was way too much of a pixel hunt.  After release I saw how many people never noticed the loose bar and got miserably stuck as a result.  I really should have sign posted that better.

The secretary puzzle: The only hint that you need to use the clock in conversation with her was hidden away in the notes on the phone.  This was really bad design as this is the first STM puzzle that the player comes across in the game and I really needed to telegraph the solution more.  The player should have been guided through the first STM interaction.  This was a sticking point for a lot of players that wasn’t intended to be a sticking point.

The password puzzle(s): I think this was a little too convoluted. Having a set of usernames for each system confused a lot of players.  This was supposed to be kind of a “realistic” example of hacking, combining social engineering with some good old fashioned script-kiddie stuff.  But I needed to somehow make it more clear that the two systems had completely distinct usernames and passwords.  There’s a LOT of reading in this scene that is required to find all the info you need. Is that fun? I dunno.  I’m really happy with all the fun easter eggs and details hidden in the text on your phone and in the hospital emails. Anybody notice the online dating drama? The word-of-the-day?  The game’s story spans three days and each day has a word-of-the-day which Ray uses at least once in dialogs (sometimes in optional dialogs though.)

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

At last it is almost the weekend! I plan to start my play through tonight and this time I plan to play with commentary on, so definitely looking forward to it Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

VinceTwelve - 06 May 2016 09:37 AM

I’m really happy with all the fun easter eggs and details hidden in the text on your phone and in the hospital emails. Anybody notice the online dating drama? The word-of-the-day?  The game’s story spans three days and each day has a word-of-the-day which Ray uses at least once in dialogs (sometimes in optional dialogs though.)

Yes, pretty funny that the character just started using it to charm the secretary after (had no idea such a word existed, of course). The different emails were a nice touch. Did anyone not send the draft email from the secretary? Smile. I liked all the Ray part.
And the intro really was excellent.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

zane - 06 May 2016 09:52 AM

At last it is almost the weekend! I plan to start my play through tonight and this time I plan to play with commentary on

I would recommend against having the commentary in in your first play, since they contain spoilers.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top