• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

A Space Quest series playthrough

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

So, fellow Space Quest fan Advie and I have been talking there is not enough Space Quest talk in the forums and so we decided to start a playthrough of the beloved (well, mostly…) series.

It’s been years since I played the games and Space Quest 2 and 3 I only played once using a walkthrough for everything so I’m excited to go from them again.

The plan is to play all 6 games, no fixed schedule, just enjoying and writing about the games.
Gog and Steam both have all 6 games availables but there are a couple of differences.
Steam has the VGA version of SQ1. Use ScummVM to play the collection from Steam, the games don’t start directly in modern Windows.
Gog has the original version of SQ1.
Infamous Adventures has the Space Quest 2 remake (I never played it and want to give it a try).

The order will be simple:

Space Quest 1: The Sarien Encounter (original or VGA remake)
Space Quest 2: Vohaul’s Revenge (Original or Infamous remake)
Space Quest 3: The Pirates of Pestulon
Space Quest 4: The Time Rippers
Space Quest 5: The Next Mutation
Space Quest 6: The Spinal Frontier
Fan games? Maybe?

And of course, anyone is welcome to join in to play, share opinions (positive and negative), give technical advices for a better experience. That’s where the fun is.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I playing the Sierra remake since i never tried before.

and Wilco, as for you when the time comes you should try The SQ2 IA remake, besides it may be the finest Sierra remake ever made; it has a couple of different solutions for puzzles they were really irritating at the original

“ok i am ready, energize!”

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

wilco - 02 April 2016 10:20 PM

Fan games? Maybe?

I remember liking SQ Incinerations quite a bit.

Then again, SQ5 is the only SQ game I’ve liked, so my advice is probably not very valuable on this matter.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Is there going to be a Community Challenge as well?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Incinerations is, IMO, the best SQ fan game out there, and a pretty damn good adventure on its own right as well, so I think you should include that at least.

Infamous Adventures SQ2 remake is very good, very worth the playthrough. It’s mostly the same game, but it does have some additional content in it as wll. But overall it’s a well done remake.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 03 April 2016 06:10 AM
wilco - 02 April 2016 10:20 PM

Fan games? Maybe?

I remember liking SQ Incinerations quite a bit.

Then again, SQ5 is the only SQ game I’ve liked, so my advice is probably not very valuable on this matter.

I’m going to look into Incinerations (SQ 5 is my favorite)

Karlok - 03 April 2016 07:25 AM

Is there going to be a Community Challenge as well?

Of course, challenges are the best thing Smile will the be up today, (just having a hard time deciding which one…).

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Lego Roger Wilco! Grin

Cool playthrough idea—It’s been many, many years since I played these games. Unfortunately, I don’t have access to my Space Quest CD-ROMs at the moment and am too frugal to re-buy the games from GOG. (And I’m in the middle of several other games to occupy my time.) But I may join in when you play the Infamous Adventures fan remake of SQ2 and/or the SQ: Incinerations fan game. I have not played either of those.

Some recommendations on the optimal music device to use for each game:
(Wilco will recall this from his King’s Quest playthrough)

SQ1         —    Tandy/PCjr (example)
SQ1VGA —    Roland MT-32 (example)
SQ2         —    Tandy/PCjr
SQ3         —    Roland MT-32 (example)
SQ4         —    Roland MT-32 (example)
SQ5         —    General MIDI (Roland SC-55 example)
SQ6         —    General MIDI (Roland SC-55 example, Roland SC-88 example)

For Roland MT-32 music, I can recommend MUNT emulation (standalone or via ScummVM) as very good. (I also own a real MT-32.)

By the way, SQ5 is also my favorite game in the series.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Caliburn - 03 April 2016 11:53 AM

Some recommendations on the optimal music device to use for each game:
(Wilco will recall this from his King’s Quest playthrough)

I certainly remember and will be using the advice for this playthrough, thanks. Makes a great difference Thumbs Up (do join in for SQ2)

So, first stop - Space Quest 1

Played the remake more than once. Never played the original so I’ll trying that one.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I bought the Classic Collection a while ago that has sll six games on one disk.

Running it in XP compatibility mode I gave it a quick shot.

Managed to get off the ship and onto the planet. It brough flashbacks of how brutal those games are. Short time to figure out how to get off the ship, roaming Sariens waiting to plug you etc.

But at least there was no typing like the EGA version.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

SQ games definetly are in the category of “learn by dying”. But then again, after you’ve learned the lesson it takes about 30 minuts to play through at least the first 2.

You gotta hand it to Mark and Scott though, they never were big on doing mazes. But the one they did is all kinds of pixel perfect movement placed on a single screen kind of fun.

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2016-04-01

PM

the only SQ i remember i believe was part 4. 

i bought the GoG SQ 4-6 pack, finished part 1 remake.  going through infamous adventure’s part 2.  downloaded part 3 from [LINK REMOVED]

the puzzles haven’t really been all that difficult.  i guess using point and click instead of text parser makes trial and error a lot more faster.

when i do get stuck i don’t use a walkthrough but instead use hints
http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/hints/sq2/1.php

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

hi jjyiz28, its good to see people are just joing in this community for the sake of Space Quest, proves again how this series represent a holy & special spot at people’s heart and in the history of adventure gaming in general, but please remove the link you have provided for this abandonware site as these ‘things’ are prohibited by the site owners and admins, or wait until one removes it for you Smile

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’ve reached Ulence Flats and it is a lot more straightforward than I remember.
Comparing it to Kings Quest 1 this one is a lot more linear and story-driven. While KQ basically just said “yous objective is this explre and figure it out”, this is more about figuring it out how to reach the next room and move the story forward.

And the VGA version really is the exact copy of the original. Puzzles are the same (except for the tentacles in the cave), even story beats and even text are mostly the same. It does have a lot more of the SQ personality in the remake, namely with the deaths text (“lets look at the instant replay” death is the best!). The EGA version mostly has just the same text.

Skimmer arcade sequence manages to be annoying in both version but at least in the new one you can skip it.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Right. I played the through the first one, the remake in this case. And yeah. While I know how short game it is, it really surprises me every time how short it really is. I also must add, that I have a kind of a love/hate relationship with the remake, as I do like some aspects of its art direction and such, as I’m a sucker for retro/pulp sci-fi, but at the same time the mouse driven UI makes the game feel even shorter, though I do guess the original is just as short.

Also I don’t really find the first game all that funny. And overall it is very sparse in the text department, so I guess it never was meant to be a rapidfire joke machine. It still is the least funny game in the series IMO.

The colorful, retro themed art work of the remake manages to underline how little actual humour there’s in the writing. You’d expect the plot to be similarilary porotioned as well, but in the end it’s an action adventure with some humour in it, instead of being overly jokey parody, like the art is. The more ascetic AGI aesthetic actually suits the game better.

I’ve never actually had issues on the arcade ride. It’s not the greatest thing ever, but on the remake I think it’s even easeir than it was on the original AGI. The biggest change to the game is, that on the VGA remake you can find a device that helps you to cheat on the slots machine, which is nice, as you only get 3 of the kind rolls with it.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m just wondering when the AGCPT and the CCPT and the eight-day flash PTs and now this start to diminish the whole concept of community.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2016-04-01

PM

tried playing through SQ3, but the text parser just makes everything so much more tedious.  of course for the ppl that played it before and know all the puzzles playing a text parser isn’t an issue. 

but i only have vague recollections of my older bro playing SQ4 watching him play it.  i guess im just impatient nowadays wehre i have a huge backlog of close to 200 PC games whereas in the past, games were scant compared to now.

looked at a lets play on SQ3, and now just started up on SQ4.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top