• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04AnimeAdamCaliMonkCharophyceanchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Tango #1: Plundered Hearts

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Plundered Hearts Playthrough Theme music (by diego)

It has come to my attention that some of you have not been introduced to the amazing phenomenon known as the text adventure. To correct this dire state of affairs, I shall be playing the epic pirate romance adventure Plundered Hearts.

This is an Infocom game from 1987 so it is difficult to come by in its boxed form, but you are welcome to join in the playthrough if you can get a copy or already have one. However, I suspect that not many will be able to join in, so I will post screens of my journey so you can sit back and watch and follow the adventure!

Even though Plundered Hearts does not involve complex maps, I like to use Trizbort, an open source map creator whenever I play IF. I find it helps to keep track of a game’s geography. I may post maps from time to time.

Feel free to make comments, suggestions, advice, praise, criticism or insults… And enjoy the piracy! Smile

Manual and instructions courtesy of The Infocom Gallery

(Prologue)

>SHOOT THE PIRATE
Trembling, you fire the heavy arquebus. You hear its loud report over the roaring wind, yet the dark figure still approaches. The gun falls from your nerveless hands.
  “You won’t kill me,” he says, stepping over the weapon. “Not when I am the only protection you have from Jean Lafond.”
  Chestnut hair, tousled by the wind, frames the tanned oval of his face. Lips curving, his eyes rake over your inadequately dressed body, the damp chemise clinging to your legs and heaving bosom, your gleaming hair. You are intensely aware of the strength of his hard seaworn body, of the deep sea blue of his eyes. And then his mouth is on yours, lips parted, demanding, and you arch into his kiss…
  He presses you against him, head bent. “But who, my dear,” he whispers into your hair, “will protect you from me?”

LATE ONE SPRING NIGHT IN THE WEST INDIES…

A crash overhead! Pirates are boarding the Lafond Deux! The first mate hurries you into Captain Davis’s cabin.
  “Good, you brought the girl,” Davis smirks. “She’ll keep the pirates busy. She was only a tool of Lafond’s, anyway. Let me just find that cof—” A man on deck screams in agony and Davis starts. “Let’s go.” The captain thrusts you on the bed and walks out, locking the door.
  His laugh echoes. “Best get comfortable, girl. You’re likely to be there for the rest of your life.”

Cabin, on the bed
  You are in an officer’s cabin, lit by the firelight glowing through a porthole. A door is to starboard. Except for the built-in bed, the room seems to have been emptied thoroughly, if hurriedly.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

This Trizbort thingie looks very convenient. Thanks for the link.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 02 April 2016 10:19 AM

This Trizbort thingie looks very convenient. Thanks for the link.

Are you going to play text adventures, Mr Z.?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Oscar, I’m curious about one thing: Why don’t you play the game using something like Gargoyle, rather than have to look at that nasty font?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Kurufinwe - 02 April 2016 11:00 AM

Oscar, I’m curious about one thing: Why don’t you play the game using something like Gargoyle, rather than have to look at that nasty font?

I use the much older Frotz. Never heard of Gargoyle until now. Looks more or less the same to me, is it better than Frotz?

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 02 April 2016 10:44 AM

Are you going to play text adventures, Mr Z.?

I hope I’ll stay on this planet long enough to do that, but you never know.

Why don’t you play the game using something like Gargoyle?

I’ll try Gargoyle, but it doesn’t look encouraging at first sight.
No .exe?

To compile Gargoyle you will need jam 2.5.

Uh-oh…

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Karlok - 02 April 2016 11:29 AM

I use the much older Frotz. Never heard of Gargoyle until now. Looks more or less the same to me, is it better than Frotz?

I’m not sure; I have very little experience with text adventures. I mostly know it exists, though I’m not even sure how I learnt about it. It seems to support more formats, and the typography seems to be better?

zobraks - 02 April 2016 11:40 AM

I’ll try Gargoyle, but it doesn’t look encouraging at first sight.

Just click the Releases tab.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

That’s more like it. Thanks!

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I honestly don’t find it that ugly. I had a look at Frotz (couldn’t figure out that page zobraks posted for Gargoyle) and couldn’t see much difference between that and DosBox.

I wasn’t all that impressed with whatever interpreter Hadean Lands used. As the history grew larger it became sluggish, and I have a good PC.

edit: Maybe others can say what they prefer? I’ll change it if there’s a consensus.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Is there a map making software, like the Trizbort, for Mac?

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

wilco - 03 April 2016 06:06 AM

Is there a map making software, like the Trizbort, for Mac?

if-archive lists a single mapping tool for Mac called cocoa_mapre
It’s from 2004, so who knows if it works on a modern Mac.
http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-archiveXmapping-tools.html

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

So, is this going to be something of a “Let’s Play”, or is it a new type of Community Playthrough / Community Challenge?

I ask because this screams for a link here. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I was thinking more of a Let’s Play, since the game is very old and hard to obtain. No one has told me they want to participate yet. It would be more of an introduction to how IF works.

But after it finishes, I had an idea for a collaborative type of interactive fiction community playthrough where one person leads and posts screenshots, and the others work to solve the game by suggesting commands, perhaps in turns. There are many free IF games around so I believe this would work, though it would be an experiment at first.

I think it would be cool to progressively work through a text adventure together, and of course we would have to pick a game no one has played and agree not to use walkthroughs. Obviously the idea will probably need tinkering while the playthrough is going. Something puzzle-based with minimal environment/exploration would be ideal to start with. Zork probably wouldn’t work as well.

Would anyone be interested in trying out this (very experimental) idea?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 04 April 2016 05:31 AM

Would anyone be interested in trying out this (very experimental) idea?

Yes.

But I confess that you starting a Plundered Hearts playthrough does rub me the wrong way, after my attempts to get you to join me.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Wait, what am I thinking? We only need one copy of the game.

Should I turn this thread into a collaborative community playthrough? I’ll post some basic IF instructions in the opening post. To be honest it would be more fun than me doing it alone.

Who’s in?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’m getting the message. Frown You’re changing the rules and since I know Plundered Hearts I’m not allowed to join. Great.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top