• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Downfall Redux

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The remake (remaster?) is out today on the usual digital shops.

Gog has a 50% discount for the owners of the original version

Not sure what is the new stuff but looks great, was waiting for this since I played Cat Lady.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Have you played the original version? I’m not sure if I should play it and then the remake, the other way around or just one of them.

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-05-15

PM

Oh yaaay!!!  I didn’t realise it was already made and released!  Eeeee!!!

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Antrax - 16 February 2016 12:04 AM

Have you played the original version? I’m not sure if I should play it and then the remake, the other way around or just one of them.

Never played the original. I’m going to play this one first, seems like it’s the same with added voices and better gameplay.

Trailer:

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I asked R. Michalsky at the time the remake was announced, and he said he would recommend people play both, since he added content to the newer one that supposedly changed it enough. So, I promptly played neither Frown

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve wanted to play Downfall since being impressed with The Cat Lady but wasn’t sure what I would make of it until now & very tempted by this newer version!!! (My new year’s resolution was to not buy any new games until I’d caught up with all of the older ones in the stack! ...... oh well!!!)    Laughing

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Antrax - 16 February 2016 05:38 AM

I asked R. Michalsky at the time the remake was announced, and he said he would recommend people play both, since he added content to the newer one that supposedly changed it enough. So, I promptly played neither Frown

I started the first one at the time of the Cat Lady CP, but decided to wait for the remake, I was never going to play both and this does seem like an upgraded version. Although playing both probably would be interesting.

I was reading through the gog comment section, a lot of people are complaining about the owners of previous version having to pay 50% for the new version…  Pan  must be hard for a developer doing hard work on upgrading a game (in this case because of the new publisher) and suddenly seeing people wanting that work for free…

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Theres something about the gog forums… particularly high whining potency Tongue
If you sell something for $3 somebody there will whine about why it should be 2.
And bless gog.. because they are always doing their best for their customers and even listening to this whining when other sites would not bother.

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

That’s common to all online communities, including this one. I don’t want to single anyone out, but if you think back or click threads at random, you’ll see a lot of bellyaching about things that really aren’t that earth-shattering.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

With gog its specifically prices, and feeling somehow cheated by a new release. Very very often.

Joined 2007-05-15

PM

I played and loved the original except for a few bugs I came across.  Smile

Total Posts: 52

Joined 2015-01-31

PM

I’d say play Downfall Redux first and then, if you like it, play the original Downfall. It’ll be like reading a book and then, if you’re really into that book, reading the draft versions to see how it all evolved. You’ll find quite a few things in the original that are absent or different in the redux version.

I didn’t enjoy the original Downfall all that much (well, I played it after The Cat Lady, and TCL is one tough act to follow), but I think Downfall Redux is an excellent game. A great example of how to integrate the puzzles so that they naturally advance the story.

Out of the games that I’ve played recently, Downfall Redux and Slaughter Act One are the best examples of how to do that kind of gameplay right: both have a very cinematic feel, with lots of events happening, and at the same time they do not discard the puzzles altogether (and puzzles are simple but cleverly designed). And no quick-time events Smile.

Joined 2007-05-15

PM

Just finished the remake and really enjoyed it!

In some ways, I’d say the original is a bit… darker maybe?

If anyone remembers the cat scene, you’ll see how it’s completely different in this new one.

I finished with a score of 26/27 and got ending A.  What about everyone else? Smile

Total Posts: 52

Joined 2015-01-31

PM

I got 26 out of 27 too. It was really late at night, and for some reason I decided I wouldn’t be able to progress unless I put out a candle. I think that’s where I lost the point.

If I’m not mistaken, there are three endings, the other two are for 0/27 and for 27/27 points. Eventually I’m going to replay it to see the other two endings. There’s an option in the settings that lets you see which way the balance alignment shifts after your actions, so that should be easy enough.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top