• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Wednesday 10 February

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

(Sorry for the low quality of the screenshots, I lifted them off a youtube playthough)

I have always loved adventure games that allows you to control more than one character, especially if it is used in cooperation puzzles where you have to switch back and forth between the characters in order to solve a puzzle.

One classical example is the Palace Garden section in the first Ankh game, though it is something that is included in and handled very well in all three games in the series (IIRC).

The objective is pretty simple, you simply have to get both Assil and Thara from point A to B. But in order to do so they have to split up, take different routes and do different stuff that will allow the other character to proceed, and of course given that it is an Ankh game, some of the stuff they have to do is pretty stupid.

There are probably other examples like Resonance, where this kind of cooperation puzzle is even better, and it is probably also not the first game to included them. But for some reason this puzzle is always the first I think of when I think of cooperation puzzles, perhaps because it is the funniest?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I love co-operation puzzles, no matter how basic they’re implemented (like in Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis where you switch with Sophia to get some things done, or like in Lost Horizon).
Of course it’s better if they take the concept and run with it (like they did in Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle). Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Ceville’s got a few as well.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’d completely forgotten about that co-operation puzzle in Ankh!  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I am re-playing Ankh right now, Izno, and i came to this part, and i couldn’t believe that there is (a possible) dead end here, even tho i didnt encounter at my first playthrough.

*Spoliers*

since i am replaying, i am starting experimenting things i never might have thought of at my first playthrough; so when Assil and Thara reach the garden, and Assil been able to jump to the other side (but Thara not), and then Assil helps Thara to obtain the ‘big banner’, i make Assil comes close to Thara’s side of the garden, and obtain the ‘big banner’ from her, before she uses it, and here lies the dead end, since there no other way around for Assil to give the ‘big banner’ back to Thara (due to different camera views for each one of them), Thara would not be able to use on her side.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top