• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

kotaku rank for Lucasarts

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Oscar - 11 February 2016 03:18 AM

Make lists by all means, but know there are other old games out there than Lucasarts. Go play them! I hope people are not replaying and dissecting the old Sierra and LA games year after year without discovering what a wealth of great adventure games there are out there from the 80s and 90s.

The thing with many of those 80’s adventure games is though, that from a modern perspective they are more of annoying than enjoyable mostly because of technical limiatations. Especially when it comes to old text adventures, which almost uniformly had very poor parsers with very limited vocabluary, which results more often than not into a game of “try to guess the word the dev had in mind”.

Zork and the kind are still playable now because they managed to avert that pitfall at least in part.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

giom - 10 February 2016 11:50 AM
TimovieMan - 10 February 2016 06:30 AM
Mr Underhill - 10 February 2016 05:57 AM

Well, that list is.. atypical Smile

It’s been ages since I’ve played IJ and the fate of Atlantis, I’m not even sure I ever finished it - can anyone really place it above DoTT and Grim and the Monkey Islands?

I did the same.
If CoMI didn’t have such wonderfully stunning graphics and wasn’t so insanely funny, then Fate of Atlantis might very well be the best AG ever imo.

And I also did the same, Fate of Atlantis is an amazingly good game and one of the few adventure game that has replay value :-)

Well, that’s that, thank you gentlemen, I’m off to GOG to buy it!

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

What I like about Fate is also the possibility to play it through with two different methods, either by using your brains of brawn. That was a solid design choise back then.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Mr Underhill - 11 February 2016 05:17 AM

Well, that’s that, thank you gentlemen, I’m off to GOG to buy it!

Cool, looking forward to hear what you think about it Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

TimovieMan - 09 February 2016 05:02 PM

6. The Dig
5. Day of the Tentacle
4. Full Throttle
3. Grim Fandango
2. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
1. The Curse of Monkey Island

Six of my all-time top-10 AGs are LucasArts games. Fanboy much? Tongue

tomimt - 11 February 2016 05:19 AM

What I like about Fate is also the possibility to play it through with two different methods, either by using your brains of brawn. That was a solid design choise back then.

Three different methods - you can also team up with Sophia. Wink

That means the entire middle section of this game has three separate parts. Replayability FTW! Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

tomimt - 11 February 2016 05:19 AM

3 actually.

Brains, brawn and teamwork with Sophia.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

tomimt - 11 February 2016 05:13 AM
Oscar - 11 February 2016 03:18 AM

Make lists by all means, but know there are other old games out there than Lucasarts. Go play them! I hope people are not replaying and dissecting the old Sierra and LA games year after year without discovering what a wealth of great adventure games there are out there from the 80s and 90s.

The thing with many of those 80’s adventure games is though, that from a modern perspective they are more of annoying than enjoyable mostly because of technical limiatations. Especially when it comes to old text adventures, which almost uniformly had very poor parsers with very limited vocabluary, which results more often than not into a game of “try to guess the word the dev had in mind”.

Zork and the kind are still playable now because they managed to avert that pitfall at least in part.

That’s interesting, I find the Zork games were some of the harder text adventures. Infocom’s difficulty ratings make it easy to find a suitable game. I wonder how many here have tried Infocom games and given up from the difficulty. Even if they have, I doubt it would be because of the parser. It is and remains quite good as long as you know how to use it.

But even discarding text adventures, we’re talking hundreds of graphic adventures to play before and through the Lucasarts era, yet so much discussion is on LA. I’m not complaining, I just think people aren’t aware how much good stuff there is from that era that isn’t LA or Sierra.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Oscar - 11 February 2016 06:55 AM

That’s interesting, I find the Zork games were some of the harder text adventures. Infocom’s difficulty ratings make it easy to find a suitable game. I wonder how many here have tried Infocom games and given up from the difficulty. Even if they have, I doubt it would be because of the parser. It is and remains quite good as long as you know how to use it.

I’m willing to bet getting annoyed by the stupid parser is among the chief reasons people gave up on text adventures and with graphic adventures that used parsers. Infocom had one of the smartest, if not the smartest parser, back in the day. It allowed you to construct pretty complex orders. And in many cases it understood different variation of words, so the player, despite game might have been difficult, wasn’t necessarily tied to “the one right combo”, which helps in making the game more bearable IMO.

This is the level of complexity Infocom parser was able to handle: http://ifwiki.org/index.php/Infocom-type_parser

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

But even discarding text adventures, we’re talking hundreds of graphic adventures to play before and through the Lucasarts era, yet so much discussion is on LA. I’m not complaining, I just think people aren’t aware how much good stuff there is from that era that isn’t LA or Sierra.

I agree completely, there are great games that aren’t Lucas Arts or Sierra.
There’s a lot of other great games beside them. For example, I loved the Legends of Kyrandia (preferred them to King Quest and I feel that each installment was better than the previous one. Simon the Sorcerer was great too, so was Riddle of Master Lu, Touché, Dune, the Last Express and a lot others…

That said, Lucas Art did produce great games, 4 of which are in my personal top 10.
I also think that there are some underrated gems among Lucas Art games that a lot of people here haven’t played…

For example, I hadn’t played Loom until last year and I really enjoyed it. It was best game I played in 2015. So it’s worth it discussing Lucas Art games especially if it gets people here to try some of those games for the first time.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

giom - 11 February 2016 08:03 AM

I agree completely, there are great games that aren’t Lucas Arts or Sierra.
There’s a lot of other great games beside them. For example, I loved the Legends of Kyrandia (preferred them to King Quest and I feel that each installment was better than the previous one. Simon the Sorcerer was great too, so was Riddle of Master Lu, Touché, Dune, the Last Express and a lot others…

That said, Lucas Art did produce great games, 4 of which are in my personal top 10.
I also think that there are some underrated gems among Lucas Art games that a lot of people here haven’t played…

For example, I hadn’t played Loom until last year and I really enjoyed it. It was best game I played in 2015. So it’s worth it discussing Lucas Art games especially if it gets people here to try some of those games for the first time.

Don’t forget dem Tex Murphy’s which I love but I can’t really stand 1st person adventures?

Go figure Crazy

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Not crazy about 1st persons but anyone remember Normality? That was crazy good!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top