• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445SpeedBozobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

kotaku rank for Lucasarts

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

http://thebests.kotaku.com/lucasarts-adventure-games-ranked-1754185338

I dont know, though the 1st top eight (plus 10-11) always had their special place at history of adventure gaming, but the ranking still seems odd!

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Well, that was terrible.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Can’t really make very bad lists when ranking Lucasarts games but it’s refreshing an opinion different from the usual “GF is the best adventure ever made”. Nostalgia plays a big part in these so it’s ok. Here is mine (at least for today):

12 - Escape From Monkey Island
11 - Indiana Jones Last Crusade
10 - The Dig
9 - Maniac Mansion
8 - Loom
7 - Full Throttle
6 - Monkey Island 2
5 - Grim Fandango
4 - Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis
3 - Monkey Island
2 - Sam and Max Hit the Road
1 - Day of the Tentacle

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Yes, it’s interesting to see something a little bit different from the other 1000 lists that read like “DotT, Grim Fandango, CoMI — and the rest”. Although Loom deserves to be ranked higher for its exclusiveness.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I don’t think the list is that bad…My personal list (which most people will think is odd I think :-)):

13. Maniac Mansion
12. Monkey Island 2 (Would be much more highly ranked if not for the ending)
11. Zak McKraken
10. The Dig
9. Indiana Jones Last Crusade (but mostly for nostalgia sake, had I played it later I would have given it a lower ranking)
8. Curse of Monkey Island (I don’t get why so many people love it)
7. Full Throttle
6. Sam and Max
5. Loom
4. Grim Fandango
3. Monkey Island
2. Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis
1. Day of the Tentacle

I haven’t played Labyrinth and Escape from Monkey Island

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The only surprise for me was to see Labyrinth and Escape From Monkye Island on the list. Not that I have anything against either of them really. I just have never played the Labyrinth and it does seem to be one of those lesser known titles, so it ending up on “best of” list is a bit of a surprise. Then again, Bowie’s demise might have something to do with it.

And Escape, well, my biggest beef with it was the same I had with Grim Fandango, the controls were horrible. But generally speaking I did find it funny.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I can agree with their top game.

My list:

14. Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
13. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
12. Maniac Mansion
11. Loom
10. Sam & Max Hit the Road
9. Escape From Monkey Island
8. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge
7. The Secret of Monkey Island
6. The Dig
5. Day of the Tentacle
4. Full Throttle
3. Grim Fandango
2. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
1. The Curse of Monkey Island

tomimt - 09 February 2016 02:49 PM

I just have never played the Labyrinth and it does seem to be one of those lesser known titles, so it ending up on “best of” list is a bit of a surprise. Then again, Bowie’s demise might have something to do with it.

Don’t think so. They just listed *all* of LucasArts’ games.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Well, that list is.. atypical Smile

It’s been ages since I’ve played IJ and the fate of Atlantis, I’m not even sure I ever finished it - can anyone really place it above DoTT and Grim and the Monkey Islands? Really? I think the writer made the list intentionally controversial so a debate can spark (it worked! Smile)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Mr Underhill - 10 February 2016 05:57 AM

It’s been ages since I’ve played IJ and the fate of Atlantis, I’m not even sure I ever finished it - can anyone really place it above DoTT and Grim and the Monkey Islands?

I did the same.
If CoMI didn’t have such wonderfully stunning graphics and wasn’t so insanely funny, then Fate of Atlantis might very well be the best AG ever imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

TimovieMan - 10 February 2016 06:30 AM
Mr Underhill - 10 February 2016 05:57 AM

It’s been ages since I’ve played IJ and the fate of Atlantis, I’m not even sure I ever finished it - can anyone really place it above DoTT and Grim and the Monkey Islands?

I did the same.
If CoMI didn’t have such wonderfully stunning graphics and wasn’t so insanely funny, then Fate of Atlantis might very well be the best AG ever imo.

And I also did the same, Fate of Atlantis is an amazingly good game and one of the few adventure game that has replay value :-)

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Fate of Atlantis is a very very good game, and it featured stunning graphics at the time of its release. I’d rank it above any Monkeys Island. Is it as good as DoTT and Grim? It’s very close, but in my book both are just slightly better than FoA. It’s all about story and writing though.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

My top 3 are

1. DOTT
2. FOA
3. MI2

Then it becomes hard to rank. Something like:

4. TLC (nostalgia whaaaaaaat)
5. CMI
6. SoMI
7. GF
8. Loom
9. FT
10. S&M
11. EFMI
12. The Dig
13. Maniac Mansion
14. ZM

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

1. MI2
2. FOA
3. MI1
4. DOTT
5. The Dig
6. Sam & Max
7. Loom
8. Grim
9. MI3
10. Maniac Mansion
11. Zak
12. MI4
13. Last Crusade
14. Full Throttle

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Obviously a list and ranking that can only promote discord. There might be some agreement at the top. Although that is subject to debate from what I’ve seen. The big debate comes in the middle. Placement in slots seven through nine are up for grabs. And there is always the “worst of the best” slot for people to argue about. I.e. what game falls to the 13th slot.

There will never be consensus. So why try to find it?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

rtrooney - 10 February 2016 11:29 PM

Obviously a list and ranking that can only promote discord. There might be some agreement at the top. Although that is subject to debate from what I’ve seen. The big debate comes in the middle. Placement in slots seven through nine are up for grabs. And there is always the “worst of the best” slot for people to argue about. I.e. what game falls to the 13th slot.

There will never be consensus. So why try to find it?

Who says you need unanimous agreement?

Just enjoy reading people’s lists instead of making things more difficult than they need to be which you are prone to doing.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Make lists by all means, but know there are other old games out there than Lucasarts. Go play them! I hope people are not replaying and dissecting the old Sierra and LA games year after year without discovering what a wealth of great adventure games there are out there from the 80s and 90s.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top