• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Monday 8 February

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Barn Runner – The Armageddon Eclair

This week represents a new beginning for me. Last Friday was my last day working as a lawyer and I am now spending a couple of months re-training to start a new career in an entirely different direction (hopefully). Anyway what better way to celebrate leaving a job I hated than by checking in with the funniest game I have ever played!

From the word go it is only fair for me to say that I am a fully paid up Barn Runner Fanboy and can only see the good things about the series (of which there are many!).

The setting is a futuristic parody blade runner type world in which robots serve mankind. Or do they? Following a terrible nuclear accident (the “big oops”) citizens of the world are left dwelling in huge domed cities. However in Evansville, Indianna, there is a problem. Something happened and all the clocks stopped at 5:01 on a Friday afternoon leaving the citizens perpeptually trapped at the start of a long weekend.

You play as detective Prick Peckard, head of the robot crimes division, as you track another missing robot outside the domed city and into the wildlands beyond, into areas which, officially, do not even exist.

The strength of this game is in the writing. Prick Peckard is a slightly sleazier version of Leslie Nielson from the Naked Gun films and the humour matches – and stands alongside it – well.

This is the first in a large series of games (currently up to Barn Runner 5:part 3 and a number of Christmas Specials and spin off games) and is itself divided into two parts. The first sequence of the second part of this game is easily among the funniest things I have ever seen in any aspect of life. [/subjective sense of humour]

OK, so the visuals may not quite match up to Dear Esther, but lots of robots from famous sci-fi films and comics and an absolutely unforgettable main character more than make up for any deficiencies.

I will only babble if I carry on so just let me say this – Play this game!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks Intense Degree for the description - it does appeal to me but the funny old thing is that I think the title is a little unfortunate from the point of view on browsing screenshots for numerous quizzes I quite often didn’t bother for those of the game as I thought it was for children!  Laughing

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Congratulations on your life change.  Nothing like being freed from something you hate.  Good luck in your new career.

If it’s the funniest game you ever played I must try it.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Intense Degree - 08 February 2016 07:51 AM

Something happened and all the clocks stopped at 5:01 on a Friday afternoon…

Now where have I heard that before

Oh .. of course, where else but in Dr. Who!
Season 6 Episode 13: The Wedding of River Song.

Okay it is 1 minute off, but surely one has to have been inspired by the other!

Anyway congratulations on your career switch Intense. There is nothing worse than being in a job/career you hate.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Prick Peckard - such subtle humor.  Wink

Best of luck with your career change, Intense.  Thumbs Up

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

sounds amazing!, tho i always (too) pushed away by the title.

Side Note: did anyone try this AGS App on Android, sounds promising, but the reviews are mostly all bad?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top