• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game do you think re-defined the point & click adventure? 

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

chrissie - 06 February 2016 04:02 PM

This post is prompted by the inclusion of the BS series in the Guinness Book of Records next year which describes it as re-defining the point & click adventure - it’s so far been disagreed with so what game would you nominate?  Smile

I disagree with almost every thing in the Guinness gaming edition that isn’t based on an actual numerical record.

Basically, what they do, is pick games they want to feature and then make up bullshit that they supposedly did first, without ever consulting anyone knowledgable on the subject. It’s really infuriating to someone like me who has dedicated so much time trying to trace an accurate history of games. This example is hardly unique, it’s on every page of this awful fucking book.

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

Strange to see some in denial of the facts (some LA fans apparently). Fortunately, Icom Simulations was pointed out (Enchanted Scepters is of interest as well).
The (almost) mere verb-noun interface was in a way a step back, compared to method of direct clicking on objects in the game window. KQ 5 multi-icon cursor was already mentioned, and Kyrandia’s (multi-functional) one-icon cursor should be mentioned in a historical overview about interface aspects as well (RW was very impressed with it and wrote an internal memo about it).

Like some suggested, it is better to ask a different question, a question about innovations or relevant changes. Some nice examples were pointed out in this thread (thanks!).
Besides the well-known questions about changes (first ag with graphics/coloured graphics, point and click interface, automap, music and the like) there is a galaxy of interesting questions and details (about inventories, puzzles, attractors, camera views, conversation options, player feedback, whatever), that sometimes get a (partial) answer, but as far as I know there doesn’t exist a comprehensive study trying to compare the implementation of the various aspects of gags. Would be a gigantic task and result in many volumes, but I would buy that Sisyphus edition immediately. Wink

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

Nothing “redefined” adventure games.  They are as they have always been.

Telltale games aren’t adventure games in my opinion.  They are cinematic story games for the masses.

System shock is a first person shooter.

2 refinements over the years have been a highlight button to avoid pixel hunts which add only padding, as well as smarter cursors to eliminate keystrokes.

I guess the redefining moment was when the genre went from text to graphics and point and click.

Total Posts: 1666

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

darthmaul - 10 February 2016 04:13 PM

Nothing “redefined” adventure games.  They are as they have always been.

Telltale games aren’t adventure games in my opinion.  They are cinematic story games for the masses.

2 refinements over the years have been a highlight button to avoid pixel hunts which add only padding, as well as smarter cursors to eliminate keystrokes.

I guess the redefining moment was when the genre went from text to graphics and point and click.

I couldn’t agree more! Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

In what universe did Monkey Island “define it”? There were other LucasArts games with the same interface years earlier, plus other companies doing P&C. “Your favorite game” does not equal “defined the genre”.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

-

It’s a hybrid, but at the time it was regarded as an adventure. The ‘first person shooter’ tag only became used around 2000.

A parser does not involve pointing and clicking, but typing and pressing. So there was no redefining of point & click going on in that transition.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Venkman - 11 February 2016 02:38 AM

In what universe did Monkey Island “define it”? There were other LucasArts games with the same interface years earlier, plus other companies doing P&C. “Your favorite game” does not equal “defined the genre”.

thanks for reminding/correction!, i believe many were misguided or biased by some kind of nostalgia (including me)

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

I don’t think it’s a matter of technical advancements like going to pointing and clicking from parsers, etc - more of a “this was a game changer” (no pun intended) kind of deal. At least that’s how I see it, maybe I rushed reading the OP.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

In the same universe where The Beatles defined the “British pop”, but were absolutely not the first band from Britain to play that kind of music. “First” doesn’t equal “define”. Wink

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

Diego, I fear a misunderstanding happened, as Venkman doesn’t equal “first” and “define.” V. is right to reassert that MI didn’t define the genre, and states -two-valid reasons. Why would it define it instead of Maniac Mansion, or King’s Quest 5? Those are indeed non-sensical claims by fans, or just rhetorics, as is the claim about Broken Sword. Like V. said, (in general) such opinions just tell something about one’s favorite game.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 11 February 2016 06:01 AM

In the same universe where The Beatles defined the “British pop”, but were absolutely not the first band from Britain to play that kind of music. “First” doesn’t equal “define”. Wink

^ This.

Maniac Mansion already did the same as Monkey Island, and Deja Vu even before that. The game that “defines” it, though, is imo the one that truly popularizes it. And that was Monkey Island, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

But Diego would insist that “popularizing” doesn’t equal “define”. ;-) The problem with this new claim (popularized the genre) is that I don’t know if there’s any research to support it (however, the chosen example does a good job of course to provoke Sierra fans).

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Let’s think about this. If Monkey Island redefined point & click adventure, what defined it in the first place?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

King’s Quest?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

mart - 11 February 2016 06:55 AM

But Diego would insist that “popularizing” doesn’t equal “define”. ;-)

Sure, as hell, I insist that popularizing EQUALS define! Wink Why else would I bring on The Beatles comparison? They defined the British pop not because they were the first, but because they popularized it around the world.

mart - 11 February 2016 06:55 AM

I don’t know if there’s any research to support it

We have a rock band in Serbia called Guybrush Threepwood FFS!! Tongue Really, there’s no a scientific research to support it, but in my experience, chances are some non-gamer or casual gamer will most probably hear of Monkey Island before some other adventure game.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top