• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkDale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game do you think re-defined the point & click adventure? 

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Hah yes, i would say telltale redefines point and click… except id say ultimately adventure fans do not accept their definition, and telltale does not embrace the term point and click adventure Wink
Telltale has redefined adapting all sorts of media into games. I think we can all agree on that.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

zane - 07 February 2016 02:07 PM

Hah yes, i would say telltale redefines point and click… except id say ultimately adventure fans do not accept their definition, and telltale does not embrace the term point and click adventure Wink
Telltale has redefined adapting all sorts of media into games. I think we can all agree on that.

TTG is glory snatcher it was Fahrenheit and Hrain before it.
Just like gears of war took the credit where kill.switch did it first.

Cage wins!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

nomadsoul - 07 February 2016 02:43 PM

Cage wins!

Hey, if i remember correctly, there is a place of general gaming discussions around here   Wink

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

King’s Quest defined it. Monkey Island redefined it. Myst redefined it again.

I’d say Heavy Rain redefined it yet again, but that was perhaps more a departure?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Grim Fandango re-defined it with tank controls. The timing was just unfortunate as the genre kind of died at that point.  Tongue

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

I think Quantic Dream definitely deserves a mention when it comes to “redefining” adventure games.  Fahrenheit seemed to pave the way for cinematic games, I can’t really think of a game before Fahrenheit that did. It probably was the first “interactive-film” that heavily featured choices/consequences. (unless you want to count Dragons Lair, Space Ace, Brain Dead 13)

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

aaroncarney - 07 February 2016 08:46 PM

I think Quantic Dream definitely deserves a mention when it comes to “redefining” adventure games.  Fahrenheit seemed to pave the way for cinematic games, I can’t really think of a game before Fahrenheit that did. It probably was the first “interactive-film” that heavily featured choices/consequences. (unless you want to count Dragons Lair, Space Ace, Brain Dead 13)

I may be wrong but there’s not a lot of pointing & clicking in those games.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

I kind of agree that Broken Sword redefined the P&C genre. Now that doesn’t imply that Broken Sword changed or revolutionized the P&C controls…far from it, though at the time of the release the “smarter” cursor was considered an improvement over the existing ones from Sierra and LucasArts….but that’s entirely subjective of course.

You can argue that this game did redefine the genre of P&C graphic adventures (which means excluding the “other” adventure game genres that don’t rely on P&C controls.)

It has been discussed before on these forums and of course everyone will have a different opinion on this, but Broken Sword 1 was really a novelty back in 1996.
I don’t recall another game at the time that offered a similar experience across the board..that means hi-res cololurful graphics, smooth animation, stellar voice acting, extensive cutscenes, large scale story and great writing.

Sure, several games offered similar strong points, but to my knowledge never with the same level of polish and on all aspects of the game…..not until Monkey Island 3 that arrived a year later.

I know that this redefining the P&C genre is hardly an objective exercise, but I do understand the thought process behind it and how they ended up with Broken Sword.
It probably also helped that the game got released on the peak of the multimedia period for Adventure games, when many thought that Sierra and LucasArts glory days were pretty much gone. Little did we know that Grim Fandango was still coming…but I don’t think the writers of the article considered Grim to be a P&C game.

Lots of speculation yes…but their choice is not entirely illogical.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Advie - 07 February 2016 03:40 PM
nomadsoul - 07 February 2016 02:43 PM

Cage wins!

Hey, if i remember correctly, there is a place of general gaming discussions around here   Wink

Just like another familiar situation in gaming space, i could use allegories or metaphors why not gamers attitude if they are similar.
Man dont be over sensitive at times.

Besides you hate QD or TTG approach anyway, you just need to prick.
Dont needle thanks.
Wink

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 07 February 2016 04:15 PM

King’s Quest defined it. Monkey Island redefined it. Myst redefined it again.

I’d say Heavy Rain redefined it yet again, but that was perhaps more a departure?

Come to think of it, DS interface kicked in new life, Anothercode puzzles by far most creative.
Too bad AG ran their course rather quickly on handhelds.

Total Posts: 1076

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

subbi - 08 February 2016 03:23 AM

I kind of agree that Broken Sword redefined the P&C genre. Now that doesn’t imply that Broken Sword changed or revolutionized the P&C controls…far from it, though at the time of the release the “smarter” cursor was considered an improvement over the existing ones from Sierra and LucasArts….but that’s entirely subjective of course.

You can argue that this game did redefine the genre of P&C graphic adventures (which means excluding the “other” adventure game genres that don’t rely on P&C controls.)

It has been discussed before on these forums and of course everyone will have a different opinion on this, but Broken Sword 1 was really a novelty back in 1996.
I don’t recall another game at the time that offered a similar experience across the board..that means hi-res cololurful graphics, smooth animation, stellar voice acting, extensive cutscenes, large scale story and great writing.

Sure, several games offered similar strong points, but to my knowledge never with the same level of polish and on all aspects of the game…..not until Monkey Island 3 that arrived a year later.

I know that this redefining the P&C genre is hardly an objective exercise, but I do understand the thought process behind it and how they ended up with Broken Sword.
It probably also helped that the game got released on the peak of the multimedia period for Adventure games, when many thought that Sierra and LucasArts glory days were pretty much gone. Little did we know that Grim Fandango was still coming…but I don’t think the writers of the article considered Grim to be a P&C game.

Lots of speculation yes…but their choice is not entirely illogical.

Completely agree with that and who thinks against, i wonder how many of them played it at 1996?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Kurufinwe - 06 February 2016 04:38 PM

Monkey Island defined it. I don’t think anything has really “re-defined” it, whatever that’s supposed to mean.

Monkey Island defined it, DoTT redefined it visually (interactive cartoons!), Grim Fandango brought it to an apex by showing its potential for cinematic storytelling and interesting cultural influences and juxtapositions, depth and steering clear of gaming stereotypes (well, GF is point’n click now, too, so I guess it counts).

Total Posts: 172

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

Indiana Jones and the Last crusade redefined the genre, it was the first to move from text-input to verb coins. Or was it Zak? Text -> point’n click is pretty defining.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Jawa - 09 February 2016 06:04 AM

Indiana Jones and the Last crusade redefined the genre, it was the first to move from text-input to verb coins. Or was it Zak?

Neither. Deja Vu did it in 1985.

Total Posts: 172

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

Then Déjà Vu should be the winner.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top