• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game do you think re-defined the point & click adventure? 

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

This post is prompted by the inclusion of the BS series in the Guinness Book of Records next year which describes it as re-defining the point & click adventure - it’s so far been disagreed with so what game would you nominate?  Smile

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Monkey Island defined it. I don’t think anything has really “re-defined” it, whatever that’s supposed to mean.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Im not sure off the top of my head. Redefining point and click to me would be inherently changing the way it works.. and for the most part it still works the same today though some have tried. Would be a lot more possibilities for games that redefined the adventure genre, point and click aside.
This guiness thing honestly sounds to me like somebody sat down and said “ok what can we award to broken sword”

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

There isn’t any one particular game that “re-defines” the point & click adventure in my view either, though if I had to pick one that comes closest, it would probably be Myst.  It pretty much heralded the transition from disk format to CD-ROM, was the best selling PC game of all-time for a good stretch until The Sims came out, and was a big step forward in terms of graphics and immersion for the genre.  It’s not one of my favorites, but I’d say it deserves the recognition for what it brought to the table if you’re going to give an adventure game this kind of award.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Very hard to comment on this. I only play games on a PC. So pretty much every game is a variation on point & click. Broken Sword changed very little for me. Publicity stunt. Although I don’t know who it benefits more. BS or Guinness?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

If I had to imagine what re-defintion of the genre could mean maybe it was the games pushing more towards a cinematic experience a la Gabriel Knight, Blade Runner, Grim Fandango, Broken Sword. With the shift of puzzles over narrative to more balance between the two integrating constant background music, voice acting and 100+ page scripts and what not.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

It’s not re-defined.

Refined perhaps but it’s still largely the same as it was 30 years ago.

Total Posts: 135

Joined 2015-10-03

PM

for me personally it was the curse of monkey Island that changed everything, before that i played games like lsl or king’s quest but i never finished them back then because i didn’t like the way you had to play it (either you had to type words or you had to select words), in the present day this isn’t a real issue anymore because my knowledge of the english language is better.

But generally speaking i think Telltale comes close to redefining adventure games with games like the wolf among us and the walking dead.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’m going to go with an unusual choice: System Shock. It was amazingly ahead of its time, featuring 3D movement, 6 degrees of freedom in real time, and a darker theme than we were used to.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have to go with “The Longest Journey” it is one of the best adventure games ever released and released at a time when we really needed a best selling adventure game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

My guess - Deja Vu back in 1985. One could say it defined point-n-click, but compared to later adventure standards introduced by LucasArts and Sierra it still looks innovative and fresh, with all those multiple windows and click-n-drag inventory. RPGs made good use of this technology, resulting in cool interactive worlds. Ultima VII is what adventure games could’ve looked like if they didn’t try to simplify everything.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

eddyc - 07 February 2016 05:28 AM

But generally speaking i think Telltale comes close to redefining adventure games with games like the wolf among us and the walking dead.

I agree. Telltale is also the messiah (or false prophet Smile ) of episodic game concept. Episodic games became popular in adventure genre only after Telltale`s Sam & Max titles.

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Journey or Rapture.
The exploration heavy ,walking simulator , narrative driven stuff.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

eddyc - 07 February 2016 05:28 AM

Perhaps true, but the question is not redefining adventure games, but redefining point & click.

I think there are many, many games that can be cited for (temporarily) redefining the way we think about adventure games. But I can’t think of any game that has dramatically redefined the basic point & click method of navigating a game since it was introduced in the mid-1980s.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I think ‘Adventure Gaming’ was redefined, represented, readjusted, then redefined…etc, several times since Colossal Cave:

Didn’t RW redefine ‘Adventure Gaming’ with King’s Quest and graphic adventures. Didn’t Maniac Mansion represent graphic adventures with new point n’ click mechanism, and then King’s Quest V readjusted the point n’ click with eliminating the verve usage to four-five ‘Icons’. Didn’t Myst redefine adventure gaming with first person solitary extrapolation (and how was they debated back then, if this was an adventure game in the first place), but Sierra let go of their ego, and then tried following it with Shivers. didn’t The Neverhood represent solitary extrapolation with its common experience of third person*/first person and inventory roots, didn’t Grim fandango readjust the old graphic adventure definition with 3D 3rd person/direct control mechanism, and then for long years to come nothing has had changed until Indigo Prophecy&Dreamfalls; redefined point n’ click with open world-3rd person experience, and then ttg represented open world with more story driven aspect, then The Red Thread/DFC and Activation(Sierra) readjusted this into more bit of both; Story-Driven/Puzzle-Solving idea?

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I don’t think there are any games that “re-defined” point & click adventure games. There are games that went in a different directions like exploration games (The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Dear Esther, Journey), or choice based games (All Telltale recent games, Quantic Dream games, Life is Strange) but these are not what we traditionally consider point and click.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top