• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

luckyloserTheTMDwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamers Challenge! Inkle’s 80 Days

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Well, I ended up going back to London via Reykjavik. I started by going Paris->Nice->Rome, which was all mstly nice travel guide stuff. The first most peculiar thing that happened to me was in Jeddah I think, when a nun clobbered me on the nogging with a heavy crucifix and she and her sister hired me to find an automaton with a soul.

I do think I found this automaton from Manama, as this beastly machine gave me a task to complete in order to hasten my trip. I agreed and was whisked away to a place which name I don recall, and there I ended up rescuaing a prisoner from a jail. After that we went from Rangoon to Yokohoma and from there to Honolulu and San Fransico.

In Americas we embarked on the intercontinental railway and even ended up facing Jesse James, whom which we handed to the officials. From Burlington we trotted to New Orleans and from there to New York. In this trip I faced a world champion boxer in a ring and got whipped.

Afetr arriving in New York it was evident that there was not enough money in the purse to get the fastest means of transportation to London, so through Reykjavik it was. We arrived there on day 79, but we had to wait for next airship to leave and when it did, it took 3 days to get back home. And by then, the bet was lost.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

First journey complete:
http://www.inklestudios.com/80days/journeys/?id=m6YuWzfoGX&playerName=zane
Its pretty fun. I was very surprised i made it before 80 considering i got shipwrecked at one point and lost my whole inventory.
My biggest complaint about the game is the inventory and everything about it… the interface is frustrating, but also i felt like i wanted to collect everything and use them in story scenarios.. but the situations just werent coming up.. and id have low space and end up selling things. Perfect example: on day 6 i took the flute which was said to be able to control automatons… awesome! Interesting hook to come up later. And then…. by day 20’s theres nothing… no signs of anything.. i have no idea if i missed something or if the flute was always just a sell commodity.. and im low on inventory space… so i sold it. Feels like theres a lot of missed opportunities where the plot arcs are just very thin. But then lots of paths.. maybe i just didnt see some of the better ones.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Day 25 - Ive arrived on Bombay. Most meaningful thing that happened was the exploding soup in Budapeste. In Athens I got hired to do some spying in Antalya and everything went smooth, although I’m not really sure who I was I spying for… Fogg is a prima donna! Always begging for attention

The game is pretty entertaing, I played Sorcery before but got a bit bored with and didn’t even finish the second one.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

wilco - 04 February 2016 02:33 PM

The game is pretty entertaing, I played Sorcery before but got a bit bored with and didn’t even finish the second one.

i didnt finish the 2nd sorcery either for a pretty specific reason: the time travel loop got dreadfully boring Tongue
But i plan to re-play through all the sorcerys once the fourth is out. I like their work.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Just got to the north pole with my 2nd playthrough, which honestly has been more fantastic than anything that happened to me in my first playthrough. And my 2nd playthrough has so far in fact been 100% different.

And heres a question for those who have played before: what happens if you get to 0 health? Do you have to start over? In my first playthrough i never dipped below 70, but going through the arctic Phileas Fogg has taken quiiite the beating Tongue I got as low as 19, but im on the rebound now.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

zane - 04 February 2016 02:38 PM
wilco - 04 February 2016 02:33 PM

i didnt finish the 2nd sorcery either for a pretty specific reason: the time travel loop got dreadfully boring Tongue
But i plan to re-play through all the sorcerys once the fourth is out. I like their work.

I didn’t know there would be a sorcery 4, I thought 3 was the end of the trilogy, but the game didn’t really grab me. I’m more curious about trying Sunless Sea

In other news I finished the first playthrough. I really wanted to win the wager to I finished it in 60 days Smile, last stretch from Ponta Delgada to London was more than 7000 but a lot to spare.
My journey:
http://www.inklestudios.com/80days/journeys/?id=10yVEg4Fof&playerName=wilco

I got a ridiculous amount of money 23000 pounds at some point so I basically bought my way to get around as fast as I could. Some stuff that happened:
- AirShip fell at sea arriving in Singapore due to a mutiny was there a few days before the wife’s captain arrived
- Delivered a baby in the middle of the Pacific Tongue
- Helped arresting Jesse James
- Lost a boxing match in some random train

Next playthrough I will take a lot more time and explore a bit

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

Just started playing today .(I was too tired to play yesterday evening.)  I’m really enjoying this game so far. (Even though I’m doing terribly at it.) Currently on Day 26 in St. Petersburg. I keep losing money really quickly. Hopefully I’ll be able to beat the game before I hit 80 days.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Journey 2 complete!
http://www.inklestudios.com/80days/journeys/?id=krxAltYruS&playerName=zane 2

I may want to do a third, going through the arctic turned out to be fast, but very fun, enjoyed it more than my first route.
Some highlights:
an underground city, being kicked out of regina, everything about the northpole: the wale, ice walker with a gyrocopter, the city there

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

zane - 04 February 2016 08:09 PM

Journey 2 complete!
http://www.inklestudios.com/80days/journeys/?id=krxAltYruS&playerName=zane 2

I may want to do a third, going through the arctic turned out to be fast, but very fun, enjoyed it more than my first route.
Some highlights:
an underground city, being kicked out of regina, everything about the northpole: the wale, ice walker with a gyrocopter, the city there

Well looks like you won the challenge. That was quick.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

yeah the arctic route burns through like 25 days, and it was suspenseful i couldnt put it down.

Heres another question: does someone know exactly how the train papers work? Like when i sell them do those routes become inaccessible? Or is it just for showing you where they are?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

zane - 04 February 2016 08:39 PM

yeah the arctic route burns through like 25 days, and it was suspenseful i couldnt put it down.

Heres another question: does someone know exactly how the train papers work? Like when i sell them do those routes become inaccessible? Or is it just for showing you where they are?

I think they just show you where they are but if you sell them they disappear and to explore the city or talk to make them show up again. I think it’s a time saver.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

OK, finished playthrough one in a shocking 102 days!

Link here: http://www.inklestudios.com/80days/journeys/?id=dGB0O206Hz&playerName=intense degree

I had an absolute nightmare in Yokohama, got a bit click happy and accidentally stayed there for nearly 10 days! After that I gave up trying to beat the 80 days and just looked around.

Quite some journey, from the walking city on legs in India, some jail time in Russia, orchestrating a mutiny on the ship to San Francisco, and becoming lightweight boxing champion of the world (or America - can’t remember!).

Lots of fun. I think my adventure gamer instincts to not get rid of things from the inventory really cost me, should have sold a lot more a lot more quickly.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

zane - 04 February 2016 04:34 PM

And heres a question for those who have played before: what happens if you get to 0 health? Do you have to start over?

You have to wait until Fogg recovers, which takes many, many days.

There’s only one circumstance in which Fogg may die: If his health reaches 0 on the North pole expedition. Clearly you managed to avoid that.

And congrats on winning the challenge!

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

One thing I really like about 80 Days are the subtle changes between playthroughs. The game has 8 distinct “seeds” (you can check on which seed you are in the settings menu), and each seed changes the prices and departure times of the various means of transport, so as to nudge you towards a different route every time.

Certain events also happen only on certain seeds. For instance, on your first playthrough, you almost miss the train to Paris and have to decide if you want to spend time buying a ticket or risk getting on the train without one. That doesn’t happen on other playthroughs. Only certain seeds allow you to witness a theft on that first train journey, which leads to the game’s biggest adventure, the mystery of the Black Rose. (I played through most of it on a previous playthrough, but missed a step and couldn’t bring it to a satisfactory conclusion; hopefully I’ll get another chance soon.)

Furthermore, certain routes only open up after a few playthroughs. For instance, the Orient-Express originally stops in Eastern Europe, but after a few playthroughs goes all the way to Istanbul.

And, in my current playthrough, the route to Zurich opened up. I obviously couldn’t resist visiting the new location. There, I met Michel Ardan (of From the Earth to the Moon fame), and, well… stuff happened.

So much for whatever plans I had made for this trip…

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Ohhhhh hm! Yeah now that you mention it i kept wondering if things seemed a little different at the beginning of my 2nd or if i was imagining things.
I just started my next journey and already quite different, i can go to cambridge instead of paris!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top