• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzLittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Game Playthrough #15—Beyond: Light Advent

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I haven’t had a chance to catch up, but should before the weekend.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Thanks Becky and chrissie.  I’m still plugging along.  It actually works well on Win XP and I’m enjoying it very much.  I’ll let you know when I finish.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve now finished the bonus section which I think does add to the overall story but I’m not sure I have too many extra ideas & those I do have are maybe a little haphazard if I’ve remembered/gleaned things wrongly.

Becky - 09 February 2016 07:46 AM

QUIZIONAIRE FOR THE ENTIRE GAME

Read and answer the questions only after you’ve completed the game.

1. A Worldeater showed up at the junkyard much sooner than Nix expected that they’d arrive, and the Worldeaters were highly successful at tracking Diana.  How did they manage this?

2. When Nix leaves Iridessa on his mission to Earth, he says that his mission is the last hope for his planet. What do you think he means?

3. Why was Nix forced to crash land on Earth?

4. If the Iridessans could build a defense system that would keep Worldeaters from conquering Earth, why didn’t they build the same thing on Iridessa? Or if they did build it, why didn’t it work? Additional question from Tim: how did they build such an elaborate system on Earth without anyone (except Diana) noticing?

5. Does the game give any indication as to WHY Worldeaters, um, eat worlds? What’s in it for them?

6. For those who have played (or viewed) the Bonus Chapter. So portals exist where you can blink from Earth to Iridessa. Shouldn’t you be able to do the reverse? So why didn’t Nix just blink to Earth in the first place, instead of flying a ship there?

7. EXTRA CREDIT: I can think of at least 6 types of crystals in the game with different functions. Can you name them?

1 I didn’t have a clue but Tim’s theory of it being linked to the bracelet does make sense but apart from Diana & Nix meeting as children why would there be such a strong connection for her to end up with that bracelet?
I think the bonus section mentions some old revelations in the Iridissans history of a ‘visitor’ with Diana thought of being the one (although wrongly) but she seems to be significant in that she’s the one that actually met them (the visitor) & changed the fate of Iridissa (as far as I can tell) 
To me there was a hint of ‘The Terminator’ here where as well as the Iridissans being aware of Diana’s role in the fate of Iridissa so were the World Eaters who however they managed it were tracking her too via the bracelet? – or is that completely off the wall???

2 I think Nix needed to find Diana for reasons above in question 1!! 

3 I can’t remember but was his spaceship attacked?

4 Sorry, I don’t know – I’ve probably missed something?  Maybe there wasn’t time? As for not being noticed well they did have that ‘invisibility crystal’ and/or possibly Carl was involved somehow?

5 I didn’t notice a reason why the Worldeaters ‘ate’ worlds but they did remind me of the Reavers in the TV series ‘Firefly’ & wondered whether the developers were a fan as also some of the incidental music seemed to be very reminiscent of that in Firefly?

6 I don’t know that one either but maybe as Tim said they didn’t have the raw materials on Iridessa

7 I know there’s an invisibility crystal & a few memory ones – oh dear I really haven’t been paying too much attention!

Chrissie—I’m curious as to your reaction to the puzzles in Section Four and the Bonus Chapter. Some of them are more gadget-oriented. And the last mini-game in the Bonus Chapter is, like, way out there.

Becky, truly I have never played any game where I’ve skipped so many puzzles but there was just a plethora of ones I just don’t enjoy which included e.g. the ‘simon says’ where you repeat patterns, matching pairs with complicated symbols & some with timing required to mention a few – I’m not a great one for gadgetry & mechanical puzzles anyway but can usually get on with most of them presented in a different context than to that in this game.

But, I’m so glad I played the game as it was an interesting experience & thank you Becky for leading it with all of the thoughtful (hard!) questions! I’m looking forward to a few more interpretations of the plot!  Laughing

I love the soundtrack of the game BTW even though it seems to be all over the place! Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Re: Question 1 on the Final Quiz—How do the Worldeaters track Diana? I hadn’t even thought of the bracelet. Not to mention the memory crystals. If the Worldeaters can locate and track Iridessan technology, it would be child’s play for them to track Diana as she loads up on the stuff. My idea was actually different—I assumed that Carl was tracking Diana through the walkie talkie, and giving up her movements to his Worldeater bosses. I also suspect that Carl was following her around. The Worldeater who shows up at the junkyard hours before Nix thought the Worldeaters were due to arrive was probably Carl.

Chrissie—re: the many crystals. Um, there was an invisibility crystal? Let’s make that 7 crystals with different functions. Memory crystals and “blink” crystals are two that are mentioned frequently. The others I mostly just observed. Although Diana does have a conversation with one. Or at least, with what’s inside it.

Confused

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Becky - 11 February 2016 09:39 AM

Chrissie—re: the many crystals. Um, there was an invisibility crystal? Let’s make that 7 crystals with different functions. Memory crystals and “blink” crystals are two that are mentioned frequently. The others I mostly just observed. Although Diana does have a conversation with one. Or at least, with what’s inside it.
Confused

I’m not sure they were actually crystals as such Becky, so maybe there were just the 6 crystals, but there was some kind of cloaking mechanism I’m sure in the jungle part where Diana was able to get past the monster & also down another path past the ‘surveillance’?

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

There were the memory crystals and the blink crystals. Then there were the fire, water and earth crystals Diana received on Iridessa. I don’t know whether you count those individually, or as a group. Then there was the Master Crystal under the dam. I’m pretty sure that’s the one Diana spoke to, so I don’t think we can count those as two separate crystals. I don’t remember using the “invisible” crystal, but that doesn’t mean anything.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Chrissie and Tim—I went back and checked the Bonus Chapter and there’s an invisibility medallion that’s a round object with holes and…wait for it…a crystal as part of the medallion. In order to find it, you have to place different-colored gems on that thing with faces. Gems are crystals, right? (Just checking.)

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Becky - 12 February 2016 12:56 AM

Chrissie and Tim—I went back and checked the Bonus Chapter and there’s an invisibility medallion that’s a round object with holes and…wait for it…a crystal as part of the medallion. In order to find it, you have to place different-colored gems on that thing with faces. Gems are crystals, right? (Just checking.)

I went back & checked as much as I could on You Tube (as I’ve had a guest visiting) & yes, what I thought may have been a crystal was actually an invisibility medallion (in the bonus section) & I’m sure there were 2? My thought was that on the crystal count do they count (the crystals)?  Smile

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Sure, add the crystals on the invisibility medallions to the count. I also found an additional set of crystals I’d overlooked while messing around and watching the game on youtube to answer another question I was pondering. So I think we’re up to 8 different crystals with different uses. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to find even more.

Also re: when did the Worldeaters attack Iridessa—before or after the Iridessans built the defense towers on Earth?

According to the memory crystals, the attacks on Iridessa started 23 days ago.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

If that is indeed the case, then it would seem that the Iridessians were apparently hoping that the Earth defense would save them as well.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

How is everyone getting along? Have most people finished the game?

QUIZIONAIRE FOR THE ENTIRE GAME

Here are my answers/speculations to the final quiz. If you still want to answer the quiz on your own, don’t read this until you’ve had a chance to formulate your own theories!

[spoiler]1. A Worldeater showed up at the junkyard much sooner than Nix expected that they’d arrive, and the Worldeaters were highly successful at tracking Diana.  How did they manage this? It turns out that the Worldeaters always infiltrate a planet well before they attack. Carl was one of the infiltrators (in the P’tula memory, there are other infiltrators on Iridessa, trying to capture the crystal she’s carrying). So Carl was in an excellent position to tell the bad guys all about Diana and to track her movements, either via the bracelet she’s wearing or via the walkie talkie she’s carrying.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]2. When Nix leaves Iridessa on his mission to Earth, he says that his mission is the last hope for his planet. What do you think he means? Well, this did turn out to be literally true, since Diana eventually blinked to Iridessa in the Bonus Chapter and finally managed to convince the Visitor to stop the Worldeater’s attack. But I think at the time, Nix was thinking of Earth as “his” planet. He cared enough about it to try to save it using what was essentially a suicide mission (he knew he’d have to merge with the crystal/seed of life.)[/spoiler]

[spoiler]3. Why was Nix forced to crash land on Earth? The Worldeaters saw his ship, fired at it and hit it.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]4. If the Iridessans could build a defense system that would keep Worldeaters from conquering Earth, why didn’t they build the same thing on Iridessa? Or if they did build it, why didn’t it work? Additional question from Tim: how did they build such an elaborate system on Earth without anyone (except Diana) noticing?  More guesswork. Maybe the Iridessans thought their own fleet would be plenty powerful to defeat any enemy, but knew that Earth would be completely defenseless? (In other words, they knew Earth couldn’t handle the Worldeaters, but they underestimated the Worldeater fleet when it came to defending Iridessa.) Or perhaps they DID build a similar defense system on Iridessa, but Worldeater infiltrators found and disabled it. As to why nobody noticed the Iridessans when they were building the system – I like furgotten’s comment that it could be an Area 51 situation. Maybe the authorities DID notice the Iridessans but chose not to publish that information. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]5. Does the game give any indication as to WHY Worldeaters, um, eat worlds? What’s in it for them? On one level the Worldeaters seem to be pure evil. They eat worlds because they are there to be eaten. But the Visitor in the Bonus Chapter said something interesting.  “The people of Iridessa, like the people of Earth, took what they needed from nature without asking. The Worldeaters are simply doing the same. Judgement is here. What difference is there between your peoples?”  Of course, the Visitor doesn’t actually say HOW people would ask nature for permission. Do you consult iron ore before mining it to create steel? (Since the Visitor is a rock, I guess it would say yes.) Still, I think there’s a huge difference between, say, using nature to build a city —and out-and-out destroying a planet with millions of people because destruction is what you’re good at. Or is there?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]6. If you’ve played the Bonus Chapter. So portals exist where you can blink from Earth to Iridessa. Shouldn’t you be able to do the reverse? So why didn’t Nix just blink to Earth instead of flying a ship there? Well, if he blinked to earth, accessed the towers in secret and then merged with the crystal, we wouldn’t really have a story. We need him to crash land, find Diana, have the crystals scattered about, have the army and the Worldeaters tracking Diana, to make a good story. But otherwise, it may be that Nix knew that the blink portal on Earth might not be functional, and it wasn’t safe to use it until he had a chance to examine it (and in fact I think it was turned off when they found it).[/spoiler]

[spoiler]7. EXTRA CREDIT: I can think of at least 6 types of crystals in the game with different functions. Can you name them?

Here are the six I was thinking of – there are probably more.[/spoiler]

1. When the bracelet first comes out of its container, it gleams with light – it seems to be made of crystals.

2. Memory crystals

3. Blink (teleportation) crystals

4. The earth, fire, and water crystals from Iridessa that have to be placed into the giant seed of life crystal to get the defense grid working – it’s not clear to me WHERE these crystals are stored during the game – they aren’t in Diana’s inventory. Maybe they are somehow stored in the bracelet?

5. Final giant crystal containing the seed of life

6. Large crystals at the top of each tower – they channel power for the defense grid

7. The crystals in the invisibility medallions

8. Hmm. When I first mentioned six crystals in this quiz, I had forgotten the antigravity crystals used to levitate up to the seed of light crystal.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Becky, Love your “redacted” post and I didn’t peek.  Smile

I think I’m about halfway through.  I spent quite a bit of time on it last night and should finish up this weekend.  Good game for a complay.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Happy Valentine’s Day to all. From the mysterious Visitor.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Same back to you, “Mysterious Visitor”

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Finally made it back to my PC. As an aside, I did do some gaming this weekend on the iPAD. I finished The Room 3 (10 hours of gaming for a $5 app) and played A Short Tale (from the makers of Forever Lost - devious puzzles).

Ok, back to Beyond Light Advent.
Section 3 played like a regular adventure game. The inventory usage, quests and puzzles were good - except for the make-up one. I had trouble with the application part.
1. Diana has put herself at considerable risk to find the memory crystals that reveal what’s happened recently on Iridessa. Nix says that these memory crystals will help her. How have they helped her?
I think they were meant to show her how dangerous the World Eaters were and that the threat was real.
2. Why didn’t the military put Diana in a secure facility (instead of in her own room) once they had captured her?
Because they thought Nix would try to contact her or visa versa.
3. Because many people missed the image of the nurse here it is. What is she holding?
A medical chart.

1. A Worldeater showed up at the junkyard much sooner than Nix expected that they’d arrive, and the Worldeaters were highly successful at tracking Diana.  How did they manage this?
I think the bracelet had something to do with it.
2. When Nix leaves Iridessa on his mission to Earth, he says that his mission is the last hope for his planet. What do you think he means?
He is going to look for something on earth that may help them. Resurrect old technology?
3. Why was Nix forced to crash land on Earth?
His ship was damaged.
4. If the Iridessans could build a defense system that would keep Worldeaters from conquering Earth, why didn’t they build the same thing on Iridessa? Or if they did build it, why didn’t it work? Additional question from Tim: how did they build such an elaborate system on Earth without anyone (except Diana) noticing?
Did the Iridessans build the towers? I thought it was some other alien technology.
( I have to admit, I kind of blew through the last section so I might have missed some story detail).
5. Does the game give any indication as to WHY Worldeaters, um, eat worlds? What’s in it for them?
The usual - power?
6. For those who have played (or viewed) the Bonus Chapter. So portals exist where you can blink from Earth to Iridessa. Shouldn’t you be able to do the reverse? So why didn’t Nix just blink to Earth in the first place, instead of flying a ship there?

7. EXTRA CREDIT: I can think of at least 6 types of crystals in the game with different functions. Can you name them?
Memory, activation of tower, activation of bracelet, blink.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top