• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Game Playthrough #15—Beyond: Light Advent

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 08 February 2016 04:28 PM

I’m not sure exactly where we get this info so I’ll put it in spoiler tags.

Nix’s father was the lead engineer for one of the towers. So evidently an expedition was sent to Earth several years earlier, and Nix came with his father. So I agree, Nix didn’t pilot the ship as a boy.

From what I can tell, Iridessa isn’t attacked until about the same time that Earth is attacked. For example, P’tula has her apartment invaded by agents of the Worldeaters immediately before Nix leaves for his current trip to Earth. If the Worldeaters had attacked Iridessa years ago, P’tula wouldn’t now be living in a nice apartment in a beautiful city. So the Iridessans apparently knew of the threat to their planet and to Earth for years, though they didn’t know when an attack would actually occur. They selflessly created a defense mechanism for Earth. This naturally brings up the question—why build a defense system for Earth, but not for their own planet? Or did they build a defense system for Iridessa but fail to activate it when the Worldeaters finally showed up?

[spoiler]Not sure how you can assume any of the above. (We kind of had this discussion when you subbed for me and posted this game on the AGSOTD thread.) Whenever Diana goes to Iridessa she does so using “memory crystals.” That implies that she is going back to witness something that occurred in the past. We really don’t know how far in the past the memory crystals take her. We know that on her second visit, she arrives before Nix leaves for Earth. But we have no clue how long that trip will take.[/spoiler]

The other troubling thing, in addition to why they didn’t build a defense system for themselves, is how did they build one on Earth with nobody noticing either their arrival, or their construction activity? Well, someone did! Diana. And if she could do it, how is it possible nobody else could?

All of the above is almost certainly asking too much of a casual game to answer. But it makes for good discussion, which is why I love these playthroughs. And am glad you’re leading it!  Smile

I did finish the last section. It was one of my favorite parts of the game. It seemed to have the most puzzles of the sections we’ve completed so far. While similar to some puzzles in Nancy Drew games, and also similar to one puzzle in the third Drawn game, I found the make-up puzzle a bit difficult. Not only because there were no real instructions for the puzzle, but also because we were trying to reproduce a color result from a black and white template.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

QUIZIONAIRE FROM SECTIONS ONE THROUGH THREE—Answers and Speculations

1. Diana has put herself at considerable risk to find the memory crystals that reveal what’s happened recently on Iridessa. Nix says that these memory crystals will help her. How have they helped her? From what I can tell, they’ve helped her understand what’s going on a bit more. But, disappointingly, that’s about it. Maybe I’m missing something. I hope so.

2. Why didn’t the military put Diana in a secure facility (instead of in her own room) once they had captured her? This seems completely unprofessional. My only guess is that they hoped Diana’s alien friend would try to rescue her and they could then capture him/her/it. And maybe they also wanted to raid her refrigerator. But they let Melvin outwit them and release Diana from their custody. How do you protect the planet from an alien invasion when you can’t even stop a guy in a tinfoil hat?

3. Because many people missed the image of the nurse here it is. What is she holding? Well, I went back and looked at this sequence on youtube, and the nurse’s right hand is moving in such a way that I’m now convinced that Lady K and Tim are right – she’s writing something on a medical chart. It seems so unusually…normal an activity for this game. I showed this particular image to my family a couple of days ago, and they were convinced that she was either pointing a gun or a handheld dust vacuum. I haven’t had the heart yet to tell them that they’re wrong.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

BEYOND: LIGHT ADVENT – SECTION FOUR

At the end of Section Three, we saw that the Worldeaters had arrived in force on Earth:

And Iridessa:

It’s now time to finish the game. We will solve a plethora of puzzles and witness the characters’ (and the planets’) ultimate fate. Finishing up Section Four should take about an hour. If you have the Collector’s Edition, go ahead and finish the Bonus Chapter as well (that should take an additional hour or so).

QUIZIONAIRE FOR THE ENTIRE GAME

Read and answer the questions only after you’ve completed the game.

1. A Worldeater showed up at the junkyard much sooner than Nix expected that they’d arrive, and the Worldeaters were highly successful at tracking Diana.  How did they manage this?

2. When Nix leaves Iridessa on his mission to Earth, he says that his mission is the last hope for his planet. What do you think he means?

3. Why was Nix forced to crash land on Earth?

4. If the Iridessans could build a defense system that would keep Worldeaters from conquering Earth, why didn’t they build the same thing on Iridessa? Or if they did build it, why didn’t it work? Additional question from Tim: how did they build such an elaborate system on Earth without anyone (except Diana) noticing?

5. Does the game give any indication as to WHY Worldeaters, um, eat worlds? What’s in it for them?

6. For those who have played (or viewed) the Bonus Chapter. So portals exist where you can blink from Earth to Iridessa. Shouldn’t you be able to do the reverse? So why didn’t Nix just blink to Earth in the first place, instead of flying a ship there?

7. EXTRA CREDIT: I can think of at least 6 types of crystals in the game with different functions. Can you name them?

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I caught up last night to complete the remainder of Section 2 & all of Section 3!

I loved The Wild West Monster Movie set & particularly enjoyed that section altogether as it had such a strange aura about it & I found the initial perspective of being in the monster’s costume quite novel! So far I’ve thought there has been an interesting variety of puzzles but a lot of which I really didn’t like & found myself using the Skip facility a lot which didn’t interfere too much with my appreciation of the graphics, music & story of the game.

Becky - 06 February 2016 07:11 AM

QUIZIONAIRE FROM SECTIONS ONE THROUGH THREE

1. Diana has put herself at considerable risk to find the memory crystals that reveal what’s happened recently on Iridessa. Nix says that these memory crystals will help her. How have they helped her?

2. Why didn’t the military put Diana in a secure facility (instead of in her own room) once they had captured her?

3. Because many people missed the image of the nurse here it is. What is she holding?

1 I couldn’t really think of how the memory crystals helped Diana except by putting her into the shoes of another character she can see 1st-hand the knowledge Nix’s people have of what happened & the importance of her to get involved to save the earth? or something like that! 

2 Yes, putting Diana in her own room seemed strange but the military as far as I can remember threatened to move her to a secure facility if she tried to escape - they were after ‘the alien’ (Nix) so I would agree with the notion that maybe he would have been more easily lured to Diana’s own home - certainly I wouldn’t want that bunch of soldiers defending me!!!  Laughing

3 Looking at it now I would have to go along with it being a clipboard or patient chart but equally it could be interpreted as the nurse wielding a nasty looking weapon!  Laughing

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I got as far as the middle of section two when my video card fan quit and apparently damaged it. So i’ve fixed up an older computer and had to start over.  Still in the first part but plugging along.

I’m anxious to see the cool screens you’ve been posting.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finished. Had to be home. The HVAC guys are here cleaning the vent system. Didn’t really have much to do other than play the game. One thing I hadn’t noticed until today was the opening screen. Usually your name is plastered somewhere in big, bright letters.
I was really surprised at how subtle this is. Like I said, so subtle that I didn’t notice it until I played today.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve finished too now (except for the bonus section) & also like the touch of your name being on the front of the car Tim. 

I liked the atmosphere, mish-mashy music, graphics, story + the cutscenes were impressive but I did feel lost in places. I really didn’t like a lot of the puzzles overall particularly in the last section although I can appreciate the effort to make it exciting which it was but I felt that it seemed quite incoherent & clumsy somehow but never mind me as some Sci-Fi concepts in games overwhelm me anyway! I’m very glad I tried the game as it was most definitely an experience & will give the bonus chapter a go & give some thought for answers to your ‘quiz’ Becky! Thumbs Up

Dara100 - 09 February 2016 12:15 PM

I got as far as the middle of section two when my video card fan quit and apparently damaged it. So i’ve fixed up an older computer and had to start over.  Still in the first part but plugging along.

That’s frustrating! but keep plugging away Dara100 as at the very least from a visual point of view the game is well worth persisting with!  Smile

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Dara100 - 09 February 2016 12:15 PM

Ouch! I hope the game is running well on the older computer. Thanks for sticking with us through thick and thin.  Smile

Chrissie—I’m curious as to your reaction to the puzzles in Section Four and the Bonus Chapter. Some of them are more gadget-oriented. And the last mini-game in the Bonus Chapter is, like, way out there.

Tim—I struggled with one part of the makeup puzzle: the skin-colored powder. I finally looked at a walkthrough. It turns out that the powder has to be applied to a certain part of the face in a set sequence. I don’t know how I would have known that, though. I must have missed something. Congrats on finishing. I think your name looks good there. You’re officially licensed.

EDIT: Chrissie, I posted this at about the same time as your last post. You’ve already finished? You’re on fire!

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I haven’t played the bonus section yet Becky but will do!!!  Smile

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Becky - 09 February 2016 02:21 PM

It turns out that the powder has to be applied to a certain part of the face in a set sequence. I don’t know how I would have known that, though. I must have missed something.

The face showed circles where the makeup was to be applied, and they appeared in a specific sequence.

I finished the main section as well and will play the bonus chapter in a few minutes.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

1. I’m guessing, but I think they tracked her the same way Nix did…by her bracelet. As far as knowing her name, I’m also guessing that information came from Carl.

2. Another guess! Just as people can “blink” across great distances, perhaps the activated defense system can also be effective across great, maybe interstellar, distances. So if the defense worked on earth, it would also be effective on Iridessa.

3. Ship was damaged while trying to avoid the Worldeaters.

4. Maybe they had the technology to build the defense shield, but not the raw materials. Maybe that explains the answer to 2. Don’t have a clue why they weren’t caught by anyone other than Diana. Maybe the Army was in charge of Earth security. We all know how that turned out.

5. Their “food” is the energy they consume from conquered worlds?????

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I like the Wild West scenes but in general I thought that last part of the game was the weakest as far as plot and gameplay goes. The memory crystal episode was almost devoid of any information and the action and suspense both seem to be dialed back a notch or two.

I can see how the engineers built the defense towers; they did it underground and the construction deliveries were seen as UFOs. And if Diana was ridiculed whenever she mentioned Nix I can see how she would begin to think it was just her imagination. As for the military, they must have wanted to catch Diana’s co-conspirators but I agree with Becky that it does not say much for their professionalism that they let Melvin rescue her.

On to the last section…

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

furgotten - 09 February 2016 05:24 PM

I can see how the engineers built the defense towers; they did it underground and the construction deliveries were seen as UFOs.

I hate to say it, but this gives me one of those Really???!!! moments. I re-imagined the Berlin airlift with planes landing every fifteen minutes at Tempelhof, while we are hoping that the Russians won’t notice the activity.  Cool

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I finished the bonus section and feel it’s really worth playing.  It adds to the story but doesn’t make any 180° turns.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

rtrooney - 09 February 2016 07:06 PM
furgotten - 09 February 2016 05:24 PM

I can see how the engineers built the defense towers; they did it underground and the construction deliveries were seen as UFOs.

I hate to say it, but this gives me one of those Really???!!! moments. I re-imagined the Berlin airlift with planes landing every fifteen minutes at Tempelhof, while we are hoping that the Russians won’t notice the activity.  Cool

Why do you think Area 51 has gotten the attention it has? Things really did happen there! And I imagine the Iridessans may have some type of cloaking technology as well. You are right though, in that if you apply consistency to the plot you will end up tearing your hair out.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top