• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Game Playthrough #15—Beyond: Light Advent

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Beyond: Light Advent—Section One

Beyond: Light Advent by Mad Head Games is a science fiction Hidden Object adventure with a campy, disaster-movie flair. You assume the role of a young astronomer named Diana who is living in the American West sometime after World War II. Since she was a young child, Diana always loved gazing at the heavens. She’s at work at the Observatory the night that an out-of-this-world danger strikes.

The first sign of trouble – Diana’s geeky co-worker Carl:

(Sorry – that’s actually a bit of memorabilia from Diana’s locker.) Here’s her geeky co-worker Carl:

Anyway, Carl and Diana track a meteor that suddenly changes direction and crash lands near the Observatory. Diana hops on her motorcycle to get a closer look, while Carl continues to communicate with her via walkie-talkie. What will Diana find when she arrives at the crash site?

You may now start playing the game. Stop when you get to the portion of the crash site guarded by members of the US Military (see the screenshot below). This section should take about an hour. Try to finish by Wednesday, February 3rd. The go-head for the next section will be posted around noon forum time on Wednesday.

If you don’t already own the game, you can purchase Beyond: Light Advent here at Big Fish Games, or the Collector’s Edition here, also at Big Fish Games.

If you purchase the SE version, you will find that the game ends satisfactorily. However, the Collector’s Edition includes a bonus chapter which starts right after the SE plot ends, allows you to explore more of the planet Iridessa, and introduces a mysterious ancient prophecy.

LET’S PLAY!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Stickied, and linked to in the Recommendations-thread.

I’ve downloaded the game, will install it tonight to see if it works, and to try to get to the crash site.

By “finish by Wednesday”, do you mean before Wednesday, or on Wednesday at the latest???

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ll be posting the go-head for the next segment on Wednesday at around noon forum time. I’ll add that to the original post. Thanks Tim!

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I have arrived. One hour seems about right.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I will start playing it tonight.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Started the game late last night (I have the SE, btw). The game crashed on me during the title loading screen, but that was probably just a one-off hickup as I had no problems immediately afterwards.

I got to the barn but stopped inside it, because I was getting too tired. Will continue this evening.

First impression was “great graphics”.
And then the people started moving, and the animations fell into the uncanny valley for me. It’s odd that, for graphics that are as good as they are in this game, the animations are so rudimentary…

Still, promising start, and I’m curious to find out what that alien bracelet does…

Oh, and Carl: there’s just no excuse for that plaid bow tie! Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

TimovieMan - 02 February 2016 04:34 AM

Oh, and Carl: there’s just no excuse for that plaid bow tie! Tongue

I heartily agree. If you click on the walkie-talkie at random times, sometimes Carl makes small-talk-type conversation. For instance, would it surprise you to learn that he lives with his mother?

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I started playing the game. I haven’t made it to the stop point, but have made it to the planet. I must say, I’m somewhat disappointed. The story is the best thing about the game, but the gameplay is rather ho-hum. You do have to fiddle around to find arrows to new screens, but so far objectives are very clear and easily accomplished. Maybe it will pick up as the game progresses.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I’m where Colpet is and and am liking the game quite a bit.  The graphics are very good, the puzzles are fairly easy, which is helpful when you can only play in small chunks, and it has a good storyline.  Just about what I’m looking for in a casual game.  Also the map, that you don’t get right away, looks helpful.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I like the way the alien asked her to come closer and then added things to the bar at the bottom of the screen using his fingers.  I hadn’t seen that done before in a casual game.  Usually, items just appear.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I made it to the stopping point. The thing I like best about the game so far is the campy sci-fi vibe. The music and the graphics are close seconds. I agree with colpet about the lack of intellectual stimulation in the gameplay. One of the things that MadHead does that I don’t care for is the mindless mouse clicking disguised as activity. So far I love it though.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

BEYOND: LIGHT ADVENT – SECTION TWO

It’s time to start the next leg of our playthrough. Once you’ve outwitted the US Army (and it won’t be the only time you do this in the game) you’ll discover a new ally. He’s Melvin, an old friend straight from a Star Trek convention (well, except that the Star Trek conventions haven’t been invented yet). Note the tin foil hat:

[

Melvin is thrilled that aliens are invading. That is, he’s thrilled that his theories about aliens are proving to be correct. He’s good at tinkering with stuff and his enthusiasm knows no bounds.

You can also look forward to using a different memory crystal and experiencing another moment in the past in Iridessa. (Note – on Iridessa, when you first meet your robot friend, take some time to watch its expressions changing.)

So you may now play on, and stop when you find yourself in your own bedroom (see the screenshot below). This section should take about an hour and a half, and since it’s a bit longer, we’ll take three days instead of two. Try to finish Section Two by Saturday, February 6th at around 12:00 noon, forum time.

QUIZIONAIRE: Questions from Section One and Two of the Playthrough

1. What decade do you think the game is set in?

2. Did Nix and Diana actually meet in the past? If so, why did Diana think Nix was imaginary?

3. What type of movie was showing in the drive-in theater?

4. When you see the nurse’s shadow on the curtain in the window, what is she carrying?

5. EXTRA CREDIT: WHILE PLAYING SECTION TWO: keep an eye out for the best pick-up lines. (We are almost to Valentine’s Day after all.)

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Lady Kestrel - 02 February 2016 02:36 PM

I like the way the alien asked her to come closer and then added things to the bar at the bottom of the screen using his fingers.  I hadn’t seen that done before in a casual game.  Usually, items just appear.

Yes, that was a nice touch (no pun intended :-) )

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Not to the new point yet but I see what you mean by the mindless puzzles.  Still enjoying it though and pressing on.

1. The drive-in setting and type of music is definitely from the 50s - 60s.
2. From her own words they met when she was little, but thought he was imaginary because her family couldn’t see him and probably told her so. 

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 03 February 2016 06:19 AM

2. Did Nix and Diana actually meet in the past? If so, why did Diana think Nix was imaginary?

4. When you see the nurse’s shadow on the curtain in the window, what is she carrying?

5. EXTRA CREDIT: WHILE PLAYING SECTION TWO: keep an eye out for the best pick-up lines. (We are almost to Valentine’s Day after all.)

1. Late 50s/early 60s. The music playing in the opening cut scene is certainly based on rock-a-billy from that era.

2. I want to say yes. But this is part of the logic problems I had re: who did what, and when did they do it. I think it’s a question that can only be discussed/decided later in the game.

3. Sci-Fi

4. Clipboard

5. Haven’t had a chance to start part two yet.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I played to part 2 tonight since I’m going to be away this weekend. Part 2 was a long section. Still nothing too difficult, but less ‘move the object out of the way’. A nice variety of things to do. A few details I enjoyed - The siamese cat in the car and the rumba vacuum in the future apartment.
Thanks, Becky. for posting the questions for some extra fun.
50’s
Yes. I think She thought it was weird to have an outer space friend , so he must have been made up.
Some kind of black and white alien invasion movie.
I can’t remember.
Shoot! Missed this. However, did anyone notice the lyrics to the intro song. Something about what a girl wants from a boy, then saying a kiss but “above and beyond….”?  Gasp

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top