• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Obduction Coming … Is Anyone Excited? 

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

Had to come back and reply to myself as I feel differently about the game already. I think a patch must have helped and I just have to adjust and get used to the movements not being as free as in some games. I am just beginning but I’ve played long enough to find the gadgets, buttons and surprise character(s) that give me that optimistic feeling I am embarking on a fun adventure!

Life is a riddle waiting to be solved.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i am no luck to play it (yet) with my system low configuration but anyways that Becky has mentioned in its review that ‘Loading screens are (currently) overly long’ ..so is that the case even to whom playing it with modern/high system specifications ??

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Advie - 30 September 2016 04:36 PM

i am no luck to play it (yet) with my system low configuration but anyways the Becky has mentioned at its review ‘Loading screens are (currently) overly long’ ..so is that the case even to whom playing it with modern/high system specifications ??

It’s not that bad. It takes about 20 seconds to jump to a world on my computer (the game’s installed on an SSD), which is OK since it’s something you need to do maybe once every hour usually.

There’s one exception: one puzzle that has you jump between worlds repeatedly, so the loading times are a bit of a problem there, but that puzzle also involves a lot of walking around and operating a lift, so the loading times are not even the most tedious part of it—it’s just an obnoxious puzzle (Beckey’s right to call it “a form of purgatorial punishment”).

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 30 September 2016 05:57 PM
Advie - 30 September 2016 04:36 PM

i am no luck to play it (yet) with my system low configuration but anyways the Becky has mentioned at its review ‘Loading screens are (currently) overly long’ ..so is that the case even to whom playing it with modern/high system specifications ??

It’s not that bad. It takes about 20 seconds to jump to a world on my computer (the game’s installed on an SSD), which is OK since it’s something you need to do maybe once every hour usually.

There’s one exception: one puzzle that has you jump between worlds repeatedly, so the loading times are a bit of a problem there, but that puzzle also involves a lot of walking around and operating a lift, so the loading times are not even the most tedious part of it—it’s just an obnoxious puzzle (Beckey’s right to call it “a form of purgatorial punishment”).

what happened to Riven fast sequences and loadings between locations, there is nothing as tiring as going between locations and backtracking as at Riven but yet we have NOT had any problems with loading times, and that was what!? 1995?

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Advie - 30 September 2016 06:25 PM

what happened to Riven fast sequences and loadings between locations, there is nothing as tiring as going between locations and backtracking as at Riven but yet we have NOT had any problems with loading times, and that was what!? 1995?

Riven loaded faster, but… It was more difficult with all the disks.

You’d start to figure out how to go somewhere with changing the least amount of disks.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

SpeedBo - 30 September 2016 07:04 PM

You’d start to figure out how to go somewhere with changing the least amount of disks.

Yes, i remember sometimes you just need to swap the disks so it just loads a cart transport scene.. but that is not the point?

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Advie - 30 September 2016 09:17 PM

Yes, i remember sometimes you just need to swap the disks so it just loads a cart transport scene.. but that is not the point?

Yes but, I’d say it’s the same in Obduction, just loading instead of cd swapping.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I just skimmed the review of Obduction and that’s actually a very good idea Becky, to provide a bulldozer with the average adventure game labyrinth! Grin

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

SpeedBo - 30 September 2016 09:43 PM

Yes but, I’d say it’s the same in Obduction, just loading instead of cd swapping.

It was possible to make full hd install, so disc swapping wasn’t an issue for who have enough hd space.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Gabe - 01 October 2016 08:51 AM
SpeedBo - 30 September 2016 09:43 PM

It was possible to make full hd install, so disc swapping wasn’t an issue for who have enough hd space.

Rekt

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

I don’t know about you, but in 1997 I certainly didn’t have a Hdd bigger then 2GB.
It really wasn’t practical to store all that data on the hard drive.

Also you say it was possible, and I’m sure it is, but this option is not available in the installer.

I know because I just installed Riven on my old PC.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

SpeedBo - 01 October 2016 04:10 PM

I don’t know about you, but in 1997 I certainly didn’t have a Hdd bigger then 2GB.
It really wasn’t practical to store all that data on the hard drive.

Also you say it was possible, and I’m sure it is, but this option is not available in the installer.

I know because I just installed Riven on my old PC.

try the play store/android version (full game) , or use a virtual drive for a dvd version on PC.

edit: but i know at the time all this wasn’t available…
i do have the 5CDs first release box, beautiful edition

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Advie - 01 October 2016 04:36 PM

try the play store/android version (full game) , or use a virtual drive for a dvd version on PC.

edit: but i know at the time all this wasn’t available…
i do have the 5CDs first release box, beautiful edition

Thanks for the suggestion
Just so you know the guys over at ScummVM are working on Riven, and maybe soon we can easily play it.

And also The Starry Expanse Project

I do love the old boxed copy, sadly I only have the CDs left.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

So the long-promised VR patch is FINALLY out. I’ve been holding off on playing this until they got it out since it always seemed just around the corner.

I’m kind of glad I did. This game is a really great fit for VR. Just being able to roam around the gorgeous environments and be present is really something. The FMV isn’t as jarring as you’d think either, as they’ve added some depth to it somehow.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Obduction will be coming to PS4, PSVR and Vive next year. The more the better

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top