• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Obduction Coming … Is Anyone Excited? 

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

The surreal sights and sounds of Myst and later Riven captured my heart and the puzzlers strained my intelligence. This series was my second venture (after the original Longest Journey that I also loved) into gaming and nothing that followed or tried to copy Riven was ever able to put its finger precisely on the magical blend of immersive art, realism, challenges, storyline and engaging characters.

Now … so many years later I see Cyan is coming out with Obduction. I have looked at the early screenshots and videos and wonder … is anyone as excited as I am about this upcoming game? So far it seems the atmosphere mirrors Rivens’ in a way I have yet to see in any other game!

Life is a riddle waiting to be solved.

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

AprilLives - 29 January 2016 11:55 AM

So far it seems the atmosphere mirrors Rivens’ in a way I have yet to see in any other game!

I’m excited that Cyan releases a new game, but for me it has nothing to do with the atmosphere of Riven and I must disagree with this. Some other games have recreated a more “Mystian” atmosphere (Roonsehv for example, which is free). I find that Obduction seems more sci-fi oriented than the Myst series (the graphics of Obd. are gorgeous but have not the same feeling as in Riven). It looks like the 2 games will be drastically different in terms of atmosphere (and that’s something I hope), but as long as we have not played it’s hard to know! Anyway it will certainly be one of the most interesting adventure games of 2016.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I have to agree with Simon_ASA. I think it has nothing to do with Riven (which I expect). And being a big fan of Cyan games (URU is still, graphically and soundly, one of the best games ever) I can’t wait to see what Obduction will be. Hope it will be another masterpiece.

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

Nice and interesting to hear your views. Funny how to me Uru was not as mysterious and the atmosphere not nearly as immersive as it was in Riven. I wish I knew why Riven fascinated me so and was so believable, even though the games that followed were awesome. The Riven world has never left me and the Obduction shots seem a hair’s breadth away from that. Smile Of course, I expect it to be an entirely new and wonderful story.

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

I’ll be more excited when I get definitive system requirements (well, that is if they don’t exceed my computer’s specs).

When I backed the game, my computer was new, and pretty powerful. Now I’m afraid I won’t be able to play the game when I finally get it, not without either getting a new computer, or at least shelling out for a powerful graphics card…

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Well, Cyan is fame to make games graphicaly gorgeus. Then, expect an upgrade in your video card, if that is not out of your bill. I am a backer and hopping to see the best of Cyan in this game. I was a beta tester in URU and it was an awesome experience back then. If they can at least come with a game graphicaly close to URU, it will be ok.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Mister Ed - 29 January 2016 05:11 PM

When I backed the game, my computer was new, and pretty powerful.

When was that? Three years ago?
Unless it was five years ago or more, I don’t think you have to worry. New computers tend to be able to handle high end graphics for longer nowadays.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

TimovieMan - 29 January 2016 06:31 PM
Mister Ed - 29 January 2016 05:11 PM

When I backed the game, my computer was new, and pretty powerful.

When was that? Three years ago?
Unless it was five years ago or more, I don’t think you have to worry. New computers tend to be able to handle high end graphics for longer nowadays.

I hope so. I mean, I can run Talos Principle (though I lower the graphics settings to improve performance), but I recently bought a game off Steam and found I could not run it due to graphical requirements (Mind: The Path to Thalamus), so that makes me nervous.

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

No dice, sorry.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m curious to see how it will be like Myst and how it’ll be different.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I’ve had access to their backers’ forum and saw how they were adding textures that made it look very much like the attention to detail in their rendered games that are so well loved.  I was a little concerned with all the washed-out blues that were shown in the sketches of the early game.  Now wood looks like wood, pots are able to be manipulated, etc. so I’m sure it will feel very much like the Myst games of old - and maybe even better with the latest technology.

Also, in the past their games have had very reasonable requirements, so I would expect a computer a few years older will play it.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m looking forward to this one very much.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Has the release date been confirmed?

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

This seems to be the year that it will finally be released but there is no specific date to my knowledge as yet. They say second quarter of the year so I think it is close. Gamers are, if nothing else, a very patient bunch.

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

AprilLives - 01 February 2016 05:57 PM

Gamers are, if nothing else, a very patient bunch.

I think the opposite is also true. Gamers get very impatient as they see deadlines pass, with no explanation as to why they have passed. Particularly when they have “skin” in the game. AKA, they’ve made an investment.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Yeah I backed a decent amount to many of the Kickstarter resurgence games and pretty disappointed overall. Tesla effect the one bright spot. Never going to back again I don’t believe.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top