• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Freezing Problem

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

For the past couple of days I’ve been having problems with screen freezing when looking at game screenshots using Firefox.  I got this message a short while ago, and it seems to be related to that small video on the right:

Image Attachments

AG_script_error.jpg

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2011-02-27

PM

Hmmm this seems to be a problem with the video ad. Our ads are now delivered by an external network so I’ve let them know about the issue.

Retired AG founder

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

It could be a Flash issue. LadyK, Try updating it.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 448

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

...or you could do like I do:

Crazy

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Thanks, Marek.  Yes, it does seem to occur only when that video is playing.  The video itself tends to hesitate, pause, and stutter.

Lucien21 - 26 January 2016 05:33 PM

It might be, Lucien.  I’ll take a look.

Mike,
I’m not sure if Ad Block is Mac compatible.  I’ve been meaning to check but forget until I’m confronted with an unskippable ad on YouTube.

Edit:  It looks like it is.  Are you using it with Chrome, Mike?

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Lady Kestrel - 26 January 2016 07:41 PM

Thanks, Jack.  Yes, it does seem to occur only when that video is playing.  The video itself tends to hesitate, pause, and stutter.

Lucien21 - 26 January 2016 05:33 PM

It might be, Lucien.  I’ll take a look.

Mike,
I’m not sure if Ad Block is Mac compatible.  I’ve been meaning to check but forget until I’m confronted with an unskippable ad on YouTube.

I use it with chrome Lady K and it works great.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I use Firefox and Safari, and it seems that it should work with both.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Well, that’s one conspiracy cracked! Crazy

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Lady Kestrel - 26 January 2016 07:41 PM

Mike,

I’m using Firefox, Lady K. I’ve been meaning to try Chrome, but I have no idea how invasive yet another Google product is. That’s why I like Firefox….supposedly it doesn’t track everywhere you surf. I hate giving these browser companies all my analytics for free! If they’re going to collect data on me, I wanna get paid, dammit!  Tongue

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I understand, Mike.  I use DuckDuckGo as my default search engine in Firefox because it’s not supposed to track every place I go.

I just checked my Flash player, and it seems to be up-to-date for OS 10.6.  I hope to get my new iMac hooked up soon, so all of this may not be a problem when I start using 10.10 (fingers crossed).

It just seems to be that pesky Cheetos ad.  There don’t seem to be any problems with any of the others I’ve encountered.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Just use No Script with Firefox and there will be no stuff you don’t want:

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 334

Joined 2003-10-16

PM

You do all realise that ad revenue is what keeps this site up and running for free, right? Whilst I don’t want anyone to have problems browsing the site, is seeing ads that don’t cause such issues really that much of price to pay for that?

No Nonsense Nonsonnets 44

Quest for Knowledge

I’m hoping to find name for game that I played long ago
The people here so well-informed, someone is sure to know
A time machine, grandfather clock, I give it to myself
Oh never mind, the box is sitting there upon my shelf

For real retro gaming nerds, name that game.

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

stepurhan - 28 January 2016 01:53 PM

You do all realise that ad revenue is what keeps this site up and running for free, right? Whilst I don’t want anyone to have problems browsing the site, is seeing ads that don’t cause such issues really that much of price to pay for that?

I may be wrong, and I hope someone corrects me if I am, but as I see it there IS a price to pay for intrusive advertising. Video ads, for example, are intrusive in that they play automatically unless you block them or their flash content. I don’t mind non-intrusive advertising, and I wholly support sites that use it. If I see an ad for a product or something that I want to get more info about, I can click on it and see what is being offered. With video ads, it’s there whether I want it or not, unless I block it.

The cost of intrusive (video) advertising, to me anyway, is that it uses data on any devices I have hooked up to my home network. And my ISP is working toward charging for any data used beyond some arbitrary allowance, just like the wireless data plans do already. That could get expensive, so I want to be able to control how much data I use.

And the problem is, there is no way to determine how much data usage is consumed by video ads or embedded (news, or other) videos which is so pervasive on almost any site you might visit. From what I’ve read, it’s a lot. So the “safest” way to prevent me from absorbing the cost is to block intrusive content. And to encourage my favorite sites not to use it.  Wink

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Zobraks,
I tried the No Scripts extension, but it wouldn’t let me view the game lists here.  It didn’t prevent a game search, but perusing the alphabetical list wasn’t possible.  Instead of customizing every site I visit, which I just don’t have the patience to do right now, I decided to allow scripts but to keep the other security measures in place.  As far as I can tell, it has stopped that wonky ad from playing, which was my goal. 

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.  It was helpful.  Thumbs Up

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top