• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooneywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamers Challenge!  (Gabriel Knight 2)

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’m starting the series of Adventure Gamers Challenge, where everyone is challenged to finish a specific game in a very short amount of time (no more than 10 days). Whoever finishes the game first is the one who is then challenging the others, setting the game and the deadline. This is not a community playthrough, but everyone is HIGHLY encouraged to talk about the game, stating his/her opinions on it as he progresses, comment, ask for help etc. Use spoilers at your own leisure common sense.

The first challenge is:

Challenge 1: YOU HAVE EXACTLY 8 DAYS TO FINISH Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within!!!

Dispatched to Munich to solve a series of mutilation murders thought to be the work of werewolves, Gabriel confronts his own demons while Grace traces an historical mystery, that of the strange demise of Mad King Ludwig II. The hunters become the hunted, and the only hope for deliverance lies in the most desperate of schemes…

Where to get it: GOG

How to run it with a subtitles?

No interlace patch

It starts right now!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Well, this is going to be my first replay in 15+ years. Let’s see how well it holds up.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

This sounds way too much fun to skip. I’m in.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

br305893 - 07 January 2016 09:26 AM

This sounds way too much fun to skip. I’m in.

Great! And I just got it running with a subtitles, baby! (which seem to be great, so far!). BTW, I don’t know if newer GOG version have subtitles patch included (I doubt it). If anyone wants to play the GOG version of GK2 WITH a subtitles patch, you have to do this:

1) Download Gabriel Knight II English Subtitle Patch. Don’t run it!

2) Download 7-zip and install it. Start it, and locate the GK2Subtitles.exe, then extract it in a folder. Then copy the contents of the “subpatch” dir into installed game’s “patches” dir (overwrite). Voila!

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Oohh, nice. Unfortunately I have just finished my umptieth yearly playthrough of this game. It’s still one of best AG’s I have played and the no-interlace and subtitle patches are making this game still very playable today.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Well, my first 20 points and so far it’s great, just like I remember it (plus some more, thanks to a subtitles and “no interlace” patch) - the game opens up with a 4 locations (if you do the basic stuff in the first few minutes) - not too much, and not too narrow either. It also has that beautiful feature that is a work of a genius - whenever you’re on the map you can press “Hint” and it blinks the locations where you still have things to do in a chapter. The reason why I think it’s great is, contrary to the modern “erase the location”, you can choose not to use hint for bigger freedom and difficulty, but if you’re fed up you can just see how you’re doing (also, some locations have nice and funny things to see (they digitized half of the Munich, for Christ’s sake!), that are not necessarily strongly connected to the main plot)). Also, playing with a point system seem refreshing: on one side, I can see why it was abandoned by designers, but it also feels very “immersing” to know you’re doing something right from seconds to seconds.

Well, the minor gripe goes to “unnatural” feeling just before you need to ask questions in a dialogue, Gabriel and the other person would just “hang” for few seconds watching each other until the dialogue menu shows. Still, the conversation is pretty natural and concise, and my only complaint goes to the fact that you can’t skip line of a dialogue, only the entire conversation on a selected topic.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’m in, although I never played it before GK2 (and Im also playing Mission Critical) so doubt I’ll finish in time but seems like a good exercise on burning backlog Smile (and the weather is also horrible around here…)

Total Posts: 4253

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

diego - 07 January 2016 09:09 AM

I’m starting the series of Adventure Gamers Challenge

Not so fast, buster! Let’s have a vote first.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

zobraks - 07 January 2016 01:11 PM

Could we just stick with GK2 since me and a few others have already started playing? Thank you. Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Have fun, guys! Thumbs Up

I’m sitting this one out, as I don’t want to rush this game. I’ve never played it before, and this concept would see me grab a walkthrough too often. GK2 deserves better.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

I forgot how good this game is… Just amazing.

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

Just finished Chapter One. This is my third or fourth play through, so I’m trying to avoid the use of a walkthrough entirely. (We’ll see if that happens). Although some of the acting is horrendous, it’s still not as bad as some other FMV games, and the storyline is rock solid.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

br305893 - 07 January 2016 01:19 PM

Could we just stick with GK2 since me and a few others have already started playing? Thank you. Smile

Heheheee…

I don’t think Zobraks wanted us to vote.  Tongue
But if he did (no, he didn’t), I’d vote for GK2.
And so would wilco.
And so would you.
And so would diego.
So fuck Zobraks.  Tongue

PS: Nice thread, diego! I’m not sure I can participate though. If I did participate and won, the next challenge would be Ace Ventura. BWAHAHAAHAHAAAAA!!!! 
Naughty

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

wilco - 07 January 2016 12:48 PM

Challenge accepted

Grin Thumbs Up

wilco - 07 January 2016 12:48 PM

and the weather is also horrible around here

Oh, here’s another challenge for you then:

Tongue

Yeah, let’s vote if Zobraks should be shot with a tranquilizer dart! One vote!

TimovieMan - 07 January 2016 03:05 PM

Have fun, guys! Thumbs Up

Thanks!

TimovieMan - 07 January 2016 03:05 PM

I’m sitting this one out

What’s wrong, McFly? Sarcastic

br305893 - 07 January 2016 08:48 PM

so I’m trying to avoid the use of a walkthrough entirely

Same here! The “blinking location” hint is all I need so far.

br305893 - 07 January 2016 08:48 PM

Although some of the acting is horrendous

Greg Thomas, right?! Sarcastic Also, Gabriel “shines” on few occasions, but I thought his acting is going to bother me more now then when I first played it. It doesn’t. He’s on bad rep from the fans of the first game/Tim Curry, me thinks.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 07 January 2016 09:29 PM

I’m not sure I can participate though. If I did participate and won, the next challenge would be Ace Ventura. BWAHAHAAHAHAAAAA!!!! 
Naughty

Hey, that wouldn’t be so bad, I might try it from the beginning and finish it! But imagine if Zobraks would won, that would be a disaster - he’d set us again with Gabriel Knight 2, just the same as he’s doing in Adventure game scene… uh, game. Yum

Total Posts: 4253

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Ok, you’re obviously having heaps of fun, but where’s democracy in all this. You didn’t even have a vote-defining debate, let alone a vote.

Tyrants!!!

Karlok - 07 January 2016 09:29 PM

fuck Zobraks.  Tongue

diego - 07 January 2016 11:19 PM

Zobraks should be shot with a tranquilizer dart!

Grrrr…
You two are walking on a VERY thin ice here. Just watch it.
Not to mention that you can kiss your most-friendly-member-of-the-forum titles goodbye.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top