• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Full Throttle remastered announced

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 18 April 2017 10:56 AM

Intro is still goat

But they tried Smile

Flash toony feel is still present, so best bet is to go all remaster and full screen retro pixels

But overall solid game and still rockin

I remember playing it before buying psx

Thats some timeless shit

Dont be a cheap jerk buy somethin
Is this cotton?
*steals*
100% cotton
Well i am allergic to cotton

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

just beat the remastered version, still a super short game, but a lot of fun. it really is amazing how quiet the game is. there really is about only 5 or 6 true conversations in the whole game outside of cut scenes. the redone animations are solid but I think the retro look is a lot better bc of the grit of the world goes with the pixilated look. the remastered soundtrack is awesome though. I was let down by the commentary, I feel like there were a lot of cool stories that were about to be told but then tim would interrupt and take over the conversation. I played on ps4 and the controller worked awesome. overall as a remaster game I give it an 8/10

the game itself I give a 9.5/10 just a great adventure game that was a lot different at the time, and like a good movie I that I watch once a yr; full throttle is a game I play at least once a yr.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

wilco - 18 April 2017 10:56 AM

I played a bit of the PS4, I think it looks great. like how they mapped the controls in the dualshock, seems I’m getting more and more confortable with playing adventures in a controller (which is a very strange thing…)

Intro is still goat

Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen
Ripburger! You’re dumber than dirt!
Gone Jackals!

agreed wilco I play all adventure game with a controller now even those on PC who do not support it, I just use joytokey and map the mouse and keyboard to the controller.

I also agree with you on the intro def one of the best ever, along with broken sword 1, witcher 2, and MGS1, at least to me.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

I hate to be the negative nancy but I honestly do not like most of the redone gfx.
One thing is that the mouth lip syncing feels off more than it did in the original.  Something just doesn’t work as fluidly with the way its animated. 

Then theres the 3d polygon graphics…. I absolutely love the era of pre-rendered ultrafiltered graphic objects and cutscenes they used in the 90s games. In this remake they just don’t look as great. The bikes, sheriff copter, hovercar etc.

I mean I really miss those kinds of cutscenes from Longest Journey 1 for example that stood out from the actual game and I remember the original rendered parts and objects of FT standing out in a similar way.

Not to dis it entirely though, I am enjoying it as a fresh experience and hopefully Full Throttle newcomers will discover the awesome game from this re-release… but for my nostalgia the original version hq3x filtered is still my fav.  I feel kinda similar with all of these remakes, except the first Monkey Island SE

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

There’s valid criticism on those, as FT remastered doesn’t really change the problematic bits of the game.

I mean, Day of the Tentacle did a huge service in bringing out the high-quality voice acting and for me personally, that was a huge thing, as I only played the disk version of it way back in time. They also added alternative UI, which in my opinion just fits the game like it was always meant to be played that way.

Grim Fandango fixed one of the biggest problems in the game: the controls. By doing that, they made it far more playable.

But FT remaster doesn’t really fix the areas that are broken: the destruction derby is still as poorly controlled as ever. The bike fights are just dull and the bunny puzzle is annoying as ever as is the “find the right location to kick” puzzle. And then there are the story pacing and structure issues which could have been fixed only by adding completely new scenes to the game.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I just finished this game and loved it. It’s hard to appreciate the HD makeover, because in its time, Full Throttle was way ahead of the competition in terms of graphics. I do agree about the clunky controls (especially the destruction derby part), but I think because I memorized that game scene by scene and puzzle by puzzle, it didn’t bug me as much, but I can understand a new comer’s frustration to it. The weird part is that they have an option to switch between old gameplay and remastered gameplay, although I didn’t notice much of a difference between those 2.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

tomimt - 28 April 2017 03:27 AM

There’s valid criticism on those, as FT remastered doesn’t really change the problematic bits of the game.

I mean, Day of the Tentacle did a huge service in bringing out the high-quality voice acting and for me personally, that was a huge thing, as I only played the disk version of it way back in time. They also added alternative UI, which in my opinion just fits the game like it was always meant to be played that way.

Grim Fandango fixed one of the biggest problems in the game: the controls. By doing that, they made it far more playable.

But FT remaster doesn’t really fix the areas that are broken: the destruction derby is still as poorly controlled as ever. The bike fights are just dull and the bunny puzzle is annoying as ever as is the “find the right location to kick” puzzle. And then there are the story pacing and structure issues which could have been fixed only by adding completely new scenes to the game.

bunny puzzle is easy all you have to do is pick up the bunnies one by one as the start to hop. follow the trail then place the next bunny

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Jdawg445 - 29 April 2017 04:30 AM

bunny puzzle is easy all you have to do is pick up the bunnies one by one as the start to hop. follow the trail then place the next bunny

I didn’t say it’s hard, I said it’s annoying. First, you release the bunnies, and then you pick up 12 bunnies. Not a very well designed interaction that. It can be at best described as filler action, not a puzzle.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I started playing Full Throttle Remastered last year, just before my laptop died. That’s why it took me a good long while before I finally finished it. Now I have.

The game itself hasn’t changed. It’s still one of the coolest games of all times, and I love it to bits. So let’s talk about what’s remastered.

The sound. My god, the sound! The crispness of the sound, and the quality of the Gone Jackals’ songs is just extraordinary. Hearing it all without the 1995 compression is simply glorious!

The remastered graphics are more of a mixed bag. While I like that they kept everything as close to the original as possible, I find it strange that they decided to add more detail to Ben’s jacket (with the Polecat logo on the back), yet they didn’t add more detail anywhere else. The radar-like screen in Ripburger’s car could use more detail, for instance, not just more pixels.
While it’s a plus for visual consistency that the cutscenes are rendered the same as the gameplay, it still feels a bit odd to me. The prerendered look of the cutscenes the original version made them stand out more, so they felt more like a “reward” in the game.

So yeah, the remastered graphics are a bit hit-and-miss for me, but the sound quality more than makes up for it. Now sing ‘Legacy’ with me… Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

The best thing about these LA remasters is that you could play the original version with an upgraded audio and in modern systems. I still haven’t played a game which remastered graphics appeal to me more than the original. Grim Fandango is a close one, but I’m not sure it really counts.

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2007-02-17

PM

badlemon - 29 August 2018 07:24 PM

The best thing about these LA remasters is that you could play the original version with an upgraded audio and in modern systems. I still haven’t played a game which remastered graphics appeal to me more than the original. Grim Fandango is a close one, but I’m not sure it really counts.

Aren’t Grim Fandango remastered graphics the same as the original?

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

TalC2 - 30 August 2018 02:53 PM
badlemon - 29 August 2018 07:24 PM

Aren’t Grim Fandango remastered graphics the same as the original?

Slightly different. Mainly in lighting. 

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The character models in GF are a slightly higher resolution, bringing them closer to what they used in the cutscenes and the texture quality is higher as well.

The biggest thing, besides fixing the controls, they did in GF was the cleaning up of the original voice files from the original recordings and re-recording the soundtrack with a real orchestra.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

TimovieMan - 29 August 2018 06:31 PM

The sound. My god, the sound! The crispness of the sound, and the quality of the Gone Jackals’ songs is just extraordinary. Hearing it all without the 1995 compression is simply glorious!

So yeah, the remastered graphics are a bit hit-and-miss for me, but the sound quality more than makes up for it. Now sing ‘Legacy’ with me… Cool

Definitely one of the best soundtracks ever in adventure games Smile  Thumbs Up

Image Attachments

FT_Soundtrack_4.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top