• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

AnimeAdam

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Prominence, a science-fiction adventure

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2007-04-03

PM

After years of browsing this forum, I’m now posting here to talk about my own game. Crazy!

We’ve officially launched the Windows PC version of Prominence, our first-person, point-and-click science-fiction adventure game.

After living for generations as persecuted refugees, the Letarri people set their sights on a far-off planet as a promising new home. But when the interstellar mission to colonize the new world goes terribly awry, the fate of their people falls into the hands of a lone adventurer. Now it’s up to you to unravel the mystery of what happened. Can you save them and their mission, or is it already too late?

If you want the nickel tour of the gameplay and features, this video might be all you need. It’s from our Greenlight campaign on Steam, but it kinda ended up everywhere, including PCGamer.

If that sounds intriguing, you can check out the prologue on the official site. We released a new short chapter each week for 10 weeks to share more about the Letarri people, their culture, some of the characters in the game, and their mission to find a new home. If you missed out on that, now you can binge the whole thing—like Netflix, but more adventure-y. Or more point-and-click-y.

We also did a podcast-style Dev Chat awhile back that goes into more detail about the mission and the plight of the Letarri people:

Bonus: If you want to hear us embarrass ourselves, you can also check out the rather silly outtakes reel from that dev chat. Grin

If you’re more of a traditionalist and prefer screenshots, here are a few to entice your eyes with sci-fi goodness.

Prominence is available now in English and German (subtitles) on Steam, the Humble Store (Steam key + DRM-free), and through the official site (Steam key + DRM-free).

Happy to reply to any questions, and we welcome your feedback. Thanks!

Mike Morrison // Digital Media Workshop // Prominence developer

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2015-10-11

PM

Looks good.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Yeah, all the best with your project.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Hi Mike,
Just to let you and anybody else to know: I enjoyed very much Prominence. A very good sci-fi (which I love) AG. I hope you are planning to continue the game with a sequel, perhaps in the planet they went. It was much more interesting to me then Stasis. And the fact that there is, at least, 2 endings just make it more interesting. Are there other endings?

Joined 2007-04-03

PM

Thank you, UruBoo! Very glad to hear that you enjoyed it. That’s right, there are two endings. We flirted briefly with four endings, but they were really variations on the two that made it into the final game.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

Bought this on steam and playing now. Enjoying it a lot. A game obviously made with love and care.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Mike , great effort from your team. Was not in my radar remotely but enjoying it alot , even more than Soma.
Minimalist art style, rendering engine, isolation, great voiceovers and that old school feel, filling the void of games i loved back in the day like Enemyzero, D, Overblood, Echonight beyond etc.
Halfway through, another AG gem of this year.

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2013-09-17

PM

I enjoyed this game too - it has really good momentum right to the end which is rare in adventure games.

There’s a big central plot item left unanswered in the game though, no idea if it’s intentional or a lead into a possible sequel. I won’t post it as it’s a spoiler but I’m sure you know what I mean.

Joined 2007-04-03

PM

smulan - 29 November 2015 12:09 PM

Bought this on steam and playing now. Enjoying it a lot. A game obviously made with love and care.

Glad you’re enjoying it! This game was indeed a passion project for us. We didn’t know if it would show through, but some players seem to pick right up on it. Very grateful for that. The Steam version has achievements, which we also turned into a puzzle for some extra fun. Smile

nomadsoul - 29 November 2015 02:09 PM

Mike , great effort from your team. Was not in my radar remotely but enjoying it alot , even more than Soma.
Minimalist art style, rendering engine, isolation, great voiceovers and that old school feel, filling the void of games i loved back in the day like Enemyzero, D, Overblood, Echonight beyond etc.
Halfway through, another AG gem of this year.

Thank you! Didn’t know about Echo Night: Beyond. If they ever release a PC version, I’ll have to check it out. That black-and-white aesthetic really works!

incometrader - 30 November 2015 02:21 AM

I enjoyed this game too - it has really good momentum right to the end which is rare in adventure games.

There’s a big central plot item left unanswered in the game though, no idea if it’s intentional or a lead into a possible sequel. I won’t post it as it’s a spoiler but I’m sure you know what I mean.

We made a crazy amount of changes over the course of development to try to get the pacing to feel right, so it really means a lot to get feedback about that. Thank you!

As for that plot item… My lips are sealed.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Looks great, I’ll just have to take the nickel tour and try it out!

Thanks for posting!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-04-03

PM

Thanks! Please let us know what you think.

Tomorrow, Tom and I will be heading back into the studio to put the finishing touches on the mixes for the official Prominence soundtrack. 12 tracks finished + 4 in-progress = 16 tracks in all.

This will be the first in our series of free extras for everyone who’s purchased the game.

We’re also hoping to record a new Developer Chat about the sound design, voice-acting sessions, and music for the game. Should be fun, although we sometimes get a bit silly (like this bit during the holidays from our Greenlight campaign.)

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Finished , a solid 8/10.
Presentation was great, loved voiceacting, helped alot to convey emotional context without any characters like Everybody’s gone to the rapture.

Highly recommended.

Looking forward to your next stuff, i hope you get the target sales.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’ve started playing the game (I’m an hour or so in; just gained access to the computer room), and I’m really enjoying it. Not much story yet, but the premise is intriguing, the puzzles are clever, and I can live with the 90s graphics.

I’ve been in the mood for a first-person sci-fi game for a while, and it looks like Prominence is going to scratch that itch.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

OK, is there a way to shut ANNIE up? Or even down? I can’t stand her anymore. She’s literally ruining the game for me. I can’t stand the way she’s constantly micromanaging me.

Latest occurrence: I find a master keycard. Immediately, I start thinking about all the doors I’ve encountered that maybe I’m going to finally be able to open with that card. But instantly ANNIE starts saying “Oh, you’ve found the card. Good. Now, you should use it to access this location and do this thing there.” At that point, I just had a Skyler breakdown in front of my computer.

That would be OK for a 15-minute tutorial, but it’s been going on for hours. The first hour of the game is great, but as soon as your turn her on, she just ruins everything with her constant instructions.

One thing I love about adventure games is exploring, encountering things I don’t know what to do with, and then finding something new and having this “Aha!” moment when I realize it’s going to solve that problem that had been in the back of my head for hours. But if there’s a disembodied voice telling me what to do every 3 minutes, then what’s the fucking point?

Ugh.

Joined 2007-04-03

PM

@nomadsoul: Thanks very much! Glad you enjoyed the game.

@Kurufinwe: Sure. In the Options screen, you can turn down the slider for “Voiceovers” by dragging it all the way to the left. Aside from a couple of cinematics, this will mute ANNIE. (Important messages from her will still be stored for later reference in the ANNIE UI tab, of course.)

You’ll probably want to uncheck the “Subtitles” box in the Options screen, too, so that her message text doesn’t appear on screen.

This will also have the effect of muting voicemails and cam buffers. If you get stuck at any point, you can always turn the slider back up for a few minutes, go through the voicemails/cameras that you’ve acquired, and then turn the slider back down and continue your adventure without ANNIE.

She’ll understand. She’s just trying to be helpful.

Oh! There’s one particular area where you might have trouble without ANNIE’s voice assistance…
She’ll verbally guide you through an area where your optics won’t function. You might find it helpful to turn her back up for that bit.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

dmwi_mike - 08 December 2015 01:38 PM

@Kurufinwe: Sure. In the Options screen, you can turn down the slider for “Voiceovers” by dragging it all the way to the left. Aside from a couple of cinematics, this will mute ANNIE. (Important messages from her will still be stored for later reference in the ANNIE UI tab, of course.)

I’m certainly not doing that; that makes no sense, since there are times when she has information that I couldn’t guess and is absolutely necessary. (I’ve reached the shuttle ending, and I’m now working my way toward fixing the ship.)

It’s a fundamental design choice that you made; I find it incredibly frustrating, and it’s pretty much sucking all enjoyment out of the game for me—even though there’s definitely a very good game in there. Oh well.

EDIT: And I’ve reached the second ending. Maybe there’s more stuff to find out (in particular who set up the explosions), but I think I’m done. I’m sad that I ended up not really enjoying this game, because the first hour and a half (before it went into perpetual tutorial mode) was really good. Meh

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top