• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

2015 preliminary roundup

Total Posts: 52

Joined 2015-01-31

PM

This year I can name exactly one title which for me deserves an Excellent score: Anna’s Quest. It neither had nor attempted any breakthroughs but it was a nearly perfectly done classical AG in every aspect.

Life Is Strange was going exceptionally strong for the first three episodes, and then it broke down. Dreamfall Chapters was also showing a lot of promise (I did enjoy navigating the city and doing environment-based style puzzles) but I feel like the evolution of my scoring for it is going to be like 2014 - Awesome, new directions for AGs, 2015 - It’s a very good game, 2016 - Yeah, it’s okay.

Other games in the Good category: Book of Unwritten Tales 2, Broken Age Part 2, Dead Synchronicity, Tormentum (and maaaybe Technobabylon).

Mediocre: Perils of Man, Lost Horizon 2, Fran Bow, Belladonna, Jerry McPartlin.

Exceptionally bad games that got lots of positive feedback: several, the main two examples are King’s Quest and Stasis.

I have no interest in solitary exploration games nor in modern Telltale games. I played the very first episode of The Walking Dead and the very first episode of The Wolf Among Us and that was more than enough for me.

So considering all that, is that good or bad for a whole year?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well, out of all the games that were released this year, I’ve only played Stasis and I loved it.
I won’t be playing another 2015 game (within the next months at least), so I can safely say that this has been a good year without disappointments. Cool Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Yes it is early but so far, for me, I agree with TimovieMan that Stasis deserves an Excellent rating and I would also like to add the recently released Prominence to the 2015 Excellent list.

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I agree with your top preference lancelot. Anna’s Quest is also my year’s favourite AG. I have the feeling that very few people around here got to play it though and this is very strange. Road to Gehenna is also excellent, but of course it is onle an expansion pack. I also liked the Tales from the Borderlands and Broken Age and finaly, there were a number of games, while not exceptional, were good enough IMHO (Armikrog, Stasis, Life is Strange). Have yet to play Technobabylon, Her Story and SOMA and I have high hopes for them too. So, for me it is a mediocre year thus far. But Kurufinwe is right. It is still very early to judge. There is still much time and an entire Christmas period before the end of 2015

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Nah - Plenty of good games, Technobabylon, Stasis, Dead Dead Synchronicity, Annas Quest, just to name the first that comes to mind!

And yes, much too early to talk about now .. So why did I just add to the thread ?!?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2015-04-29

PM

I’m partial to Knee Deep for obvious reasons, but I definitely give props to Her Story (really great way to present that narrative) and two entries from Telltale - Tales from the Borderlands and Minecraft Story Mode.

Knee Deep swamp noir adventure: http://kneedeepgame.com

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

It was an excellent year for adventure. Technobabylon is probably my adventure of the year. But life is strange was fantastic start to finish. And i also loved fran bow, the new kings quest and annas quest. Dead syncronicity would also be a candidate if it wasnt for it ending abruptly.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Hmm…tough. So far, my list is:

Tales from the Borderlands
Life is Strange
Anna’s Quest

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

1) Grim Fandango Remastered (PSVITA)

2) Tales of the Boarderlands

Heart

Other games from other genres make this a cool year: Dangaronpa: Ultra Despair Girls: which is an adventure game/survival horror game hybrid is the best 2015 game I have played.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

LOVED this year in adventure games.

Book of Unwritten Tales 2, Dead Synchronicity and Life is Strange were some of my favourite recent adventure gaming experiences. Adored my time with all of those.

And Tales from the Borderlands single-handedly made me not give up entirely on Telltale; very enjoyable game.

King’s Quest, Fran Bow, Stasis, Armikrog and even Alum- which lost it’s way a bit- all provided me with some enjoyment too.

I wasn’t entirely happy with Dreamfall Chapters and Broken Age Act 2, but all in all an excellent year.

Very keen to try Anna’s Quest soon, too. 

I’m not too sure 2016 will be able to measure up, actually.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

All in all I think it is a pretty good year. Anna’s Quest and Techno Babylon were both really great. Broken Age and Dead Synchronicity were good too.

I am almost finished Grim Fandango:Remastered (PS Vita) which is obviously still an amazing game but there were a few crashes with the port that kind of diminished the experience.

I am playing Read Only Memories now which I think will be good but not great.
I played a couple episodes of Life is Strange and liked it but then my PS3 died so I am waiting to buy it again on PC.

However, the best game I played this year is definitely Steins;Gate on the PS Vita. It was released on PC in English last year but since it is a visual novel, it feels better reading it on a portable screen so I waited for the port. It was a great story and definitely an amazing experience! I hope the sequel is announced in English soon!

I still want to try Fran Bow, Stasis and King’s Quest. Yeah if those games are good too then it will be a great year!

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2015-11-11

PM

A nice warm up before the next Aggies awards (which take place supposedly in February 2016) for this-year/2015, so:

2015 is a good year; no doubt about it, and one thing is clear about, IT IS PACKED with adventures, that verify between above-average to good and excellent qualities, so nicely we have both; the quantity and the quality at one year.
but don’t get me wrong as this not the optimum i wish for(no fucking way), for example 2011 was a greater year due to the quality of the adventure games released, but again this year has an upper hand by the number of adventure games released, and i am not talking just about a big number of releases with shit quality of somehow, NO they are all above average (minimum-standard) , which makes me feel this year is the year where/when that great big number of kick-starters campaigns, the comeback of the forgotten designers, the long forgotten IPs and their remakes, and the amazing rise of TellTale, all that is starting to reward the genre and its audience/us after so many frequent letdowns and mistrust toward many projects along the way.
just hope that this rate (of the quality & the quantity) keeps getting-better/growing-more from now on, from the next year to the next ... and so on…etc:

The hot spots of 2015 are many, but here are those i think will be (one way or the other) involved at any of the nominations given for this year awards:
Alum
Armikrog. 
Broken Age
Dropsy
Grim Fandango RE
Until Dawn
STASIS
The Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna
Anna’s Quest
Life is Strange
Technobabylon
Lost Horizon 2
Cradle
Fire
Dead Synchronicity
The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 (i hated it, but there goes nothing)
The Perils of Man
Nancy Drew: Sea of Darkness
Nevermind
Hadean Lands
Black Sails
Bunker
SOMA
The Charnel House
Tormentum
The Inquisitor BookII
Kholat
Her Story
Quasar

((King’s Quest - Dreamfall: Chapters)) ..to be continued .

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Her Story

Ah yes, this game deserves mention - I loved this game - quite different.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Azazil - 14 November 2015 01:43 PM

A nice warm up before the next Aggies awards (which take place supposedly in February 2016) for this-year/2015, so:

2015 is a good year; no doubt about it, and one thing is clear about, IT IS PACKED with adventures, that verify between above-average to good and excellent qualities, so nicely we have both; the quantity and the quality at one year.
but don’t get me wrong as this not the optimum i wish for(no fucking way), for example 2011 was a greater year due to the quality of the adventure games released, but again this year has an upper hand by the number of adventure games released, and i am not talking just about a big number of releases with shit quality of somehow, NO they are all above average (minimum-standard) , which makes me feel this year is the year where/when that great big number of kick-starters campaigns, the comeback of the forgotten designers, the long forgotten IPs and their remakes, and the amazing rise of TellTale, all that is starting to reward the genre and its audience/us after so many frequent letdowns and mistrust toward many projects along the way.
just hope that this rate (of the quality & the quantity) keeps getting-better/growing-more from now on, from the next year to the next ... and so on…etc:

The hot spots of 2015 are many, but here are those i think will be (one way or the other) involved at any of the nominations given for this year awards:
Alum
Armikrog. 
Broken Age
Dropsy
Grim Fandango RE
Until Dawn
STASIS
The Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna
Anna’s Quest
Life is Strange
Technobabylon
Lost Horizon 2
Cradle
Fire
Dead Synchronicity
The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 (i hated it, but there goes nothing)
The Perils of Man
Nancy Drew: Sea of Darkness
Nevermind
Hadean Lands
Black Sails
Bunker
SOMA
The Charnel House
Tormentum
The Inquisitor BookII
Kholat
Her Story
Quasar

((King’s Quest - Dreamfall: Chapters)) ..to be continued .

Isn’t Tales of the Borderlands missing from this overview?

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

Tales from the Borderlands and couple of others:

- Contradiction (Tim Follin)
- Game of Thrones (Telltale)
- Subject 13 (Microids)
- White Night (OSome Studio)

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top