• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Day of the Tentacle Remastered announced!

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

This game looks amazing - I will be looking at this as a future purchase.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

tomimt - 25 October 2015 04:23 AM
after a brisk nap - 24 October 2015 03:19 AM

They’ve probably just run the backgrounds through VectorMagic or some similar program and then cleaned them up a little by hand. That should work well enough given the art style. I think I can even see a couple of vectorization errors they didn’t catch in that comparison screen.

I asked about this at DF forums and got an replay that states that all the background art is re-drawn from scratch. So any vectorizarion errors you think you see, are not that.

Yeah, you can tell it’s not vector. Little details like Laverne’s headband and the rims of Bernard’s glasses would not come out properly if it was vector. In the comparison drawing, if you look at Laverne’s right eye it’s square in the original and round in the remake.

I think it looks good - as good as it probably can using this style.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2004-03-25

PM

Oscar - 25 October 2015 06:36 AM

They’ve probably just run the backgrounds through VectorMagic or some similar program and then cleaned them up a little by hand. That should work well enough given the art style. I think I can even see a couple of vectorization errors they didn’t catch in that comparison screen.

I asked about this at DF forums and got an replay that states that all the background art is re-drawn from scratch. So any vectorizarion errors you think you see, are not that.

Yeah, you can tell it’s not vector. Little details like Laverne’s headband and the rims of Bernard’s glasses would not come out properly if it was vector.

Huh? Yes they easily could. Looks pretty vector to me, especially the strange, unintentional looking blobby areas of colour

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Krazy - 25 October 2015 06:58 AM

Huh? Yes they easily could. Looks pretty vector to me, especially the strange, unintentional looking blobby areas of colour

There’s other explonations on those color blobs though, like using some Photoshop filter in order to make the colors cutout each other instead of blend.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Yeah, you can tell it’s not vector. Little details like Laverne’s headband and the rims of Bernard’s glasses would not come out properly if it was vector.

His glasses would show up as round, in the redraw they are D-shaped.

I agree it looks pretty vector, and I prefer the original. But it’s okay and newcomers will probably like it.

No way was it drawn from scratch however - it’s far, far too similar.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Oscar - 25 October 2015 09:03 AM

It’s not really a huge task to draw the same art again in a higher resolution. People have for ages done replicas of famous paintings which are more or less identical with the original.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Well, it’s just that I took ‘from scratch’ to mean something OTHER than laying a sheet of paper over the original and drawing the exact same lines and colors in higher detail.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

There’s nothing wrong with the original art, so redoing the exact same art in higher detail is perfectly fine to me.

I’d like a Full Throttle Remaster to look like this as well.

The difference with the Monkey Island remakes is that those weren’t standalone and the art changed over the series, so they couldn’t just copy the original. Here they can, and I approve. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

This is VERY similar in style to what some fan art of DOTT did previously: (click for bigger size)

So, the remake is quite faithful to the original, but even though I’m an amateur when it comes to graphic design, I think it is obvious they DID use some kind of depixelization algorithm, like an advanced ScummVM filter, AND - reworked some areas by hand (because of imperfections, borders etc.). I’ll repeat - on the plus side, it is strongly faithful to the original, but on the minus side, it leaves something to be desired especially in the color shading sense: it is most noticeable in the large areas filled with exactly one shade of color, which is prominent now in the HD, and wasn’t while it was pixelated. For example:

The remake is almost “mathematically” correct when it comes to color borders (notice the elliptical borders at the bottom of the Chrono John, with little or no variety in the colors). I think it just needs more shading and detail touch-ups in order for HD versions to shine fully, especially when it comes to faces and design of 3 main characters. This is a very specific cartoon style, yes, and it doesn’t need to have details of Daedalic 2D graphics for example, but something along the line of Curse of Monkey Island would be perfect:

Notice how you almost can’t find the same color covering large spaces, like you can with the DOTT remake:

notice the same, one red shade on Betsy Ross’ dress, or on the flags…

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2004-03-25

PM

Oscar - 25 October 2015 09:03 AM

His glasses would show up as round, in the redraw they are D-shaped.

I agree it looks pretty vector, and I prefer the original. But it’s okay and newcomers will probably like it.

You can do a D shape using vectors, in fact the very letter D in a font is a vector.

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Saw this at the RPGcodex, some art by Feng Zhu

http://fengzhudesign.blogspot.com/2012/10/dott-remake.html

Needless to say, I’m happy the way the double fine remaster of DOTT looks Smile

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Funny thing Jaap, that art piece by Feng. When I was a kid, maybe 11 or so, a long before DoTT was even announced, I had just played through Manian Mansion. The game must have made an impact with me, as I remember seeing a dream where I was playing Manian Mansion 2 and it looked a bit like that concept piece. Not in the same room of course, it was the Edison house front, but it looked a bit like that. I remember waking up, thinking why don’t the games look as good as my dream did.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

diego - 25 October 2015 10:52 AM

Reminded me how fantastic Curse’s 2D graphics was. Imo, still the best till now!

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

Yeah, you can tell it’s not vector. Little details like Laverne’s headband and the rims of Bernard’s glasses would not come out properly if it was vector. In the comparison drawing, if you look at Laverne’s right eye it’s square in the original and round in the remake.

I think it looks good - as good as it probably can using this style.

The characters have obviously been redrawn (look at Dr. Edison’s hands, for example; Laverne’s eye isn’t a good example, since depixellization can often turn a square into an ellipse, but other details in her face are clearly hand-drawn), but they could very well be vector drawings, and probably are. The backgrounds almost definitely are.

As for the claim that they were all redrawn, well, I suppose they could have drawn a vector version on top of the VGA graphics, but it seems a bit pointless when a vectorization algorithm could produce the same outcome, only subject to a little tweaking. In either case there are a couple of spots where IMO the algorithm and/or artist has misinterpreted or changed the shape: e.g. the foreground cactus (now bulging out), the first button on top of the silhouette to its right, and arguably the grills on the chronojohns.

By the way, is anyone else seeing those weird glitches along the silhouetted slope on the left edge? I’m hoping that’s just an artifact of stitching together multiple screencaps or something, not how it looks in-game.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

cozyhome - 26 October 2015 03:24 AM

Reminded me how fantastic Curse’s 2D graphics was. Imo, still the best till now!

Someone that makes a version for modern systems will really have an easy time. Doesn’t have to change anything, just port it and and add some director’s commentary

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top