• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #36: ASA: A Space Adventure

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

SoccerDude28 - 29 November 2015 03:55 AM

Having a programming background, I grimmaced knowing that us humans can come up with a unix shell editor that is 100 times more logical in syntax than the editor of the much more advanced Anteran race.

Yes, but what seems logical/advanced to a human may be quite different than what seems logical/advanced to an Anterran. I’ve often thought that what seems logical to software programmers is completely alien to the people who then end up using the software.

It’s a common problem for people in general to assume that other people are just like them and think just like them, when they aren’t and they don’t.

Constructing a puzzle that people can solve has got to be one of the hardest jobs around. Because people approach the puzzle so differently. A puzzle is almost like a foreign language. And it has to be accessible to people who have never spoken a foreign language, as well as people who speak lots of foreign languages and don’t want this one to seem too easy.

Am I going way too far with this metaphor?  Cool

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Becky - 29 November 2015 08:34 AM

Having a programming background, I grimmaced knowing that us humans can come up with a unix shell editor that is 100 times more logical in syntax than the editor of the much more advanced Anteran race.

Yes, but what seems logical/advanced to a human may be quite different than what seems logical/advanced to an Anterran. I’ve often thought that what seems logical to software programmers is completely alien to the people who then end up using the software.

It’s a common problem for people in general to assume that other people are just like them and think just like them, when they aren’t and they don’t.

Even in the world of software engineering, there is common sense. I don’t know in what twisted parallel dimension is re-typing the same long command better than pressing one button to get the last command. It’s like the Anterrans using a hammer to eat rice from a plate rather than using something better like a fork.

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

SoccerDude28 - 29 November 2015 11:12 AM
Becky - 29 November 2015 08:34 AM

Even in the world of software engineering, there is common sense. I don’t know in what twisted parallel dimension is re-typing the same long command better than pressing one button to get the last command. It’s like the Anterrans using a hammer to eat rice from a plate rather than using something better like a fork.

However, this is Forte hacking into the Anterran computer system, therefore some complications with syntax would probably be expected?

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Hey!
Thanks for your feedback SoccerDude/ I have no problem at all with your rate of 3/5, I think it’s still good and I totally understand that not everyone has the same perception of games and Myst-likes.

Regarding the DOS puzzle. From my point of view:
I did want to create a DOS-like interface. However it’s an alien spaceship, so it didn’t have to be exactly like DOS. The Anterrans were probably not using the same syntax. Also, the existence of the “force” command should prove that this is a hacked console, with several commands created by Forte. Normally it should be impossible on such a system to access admin rights with a command, so I find it logical that we are not using the “normal” interface.
There are still a lot of things hidden on the ARK and than cannot be discovered in ASA. In the novel there are many things that happen on this spaceship, and I hope I can tell you more in future projects.
Also keep in mind that the Anterran civilization is very old and might have developed much further since they launched the Ark in space. On the other hand, since the Ark was launched, it has become outdated (even regarding Terran technology) and there might be another reason for it to still continue to travel? I can’t tell you more, it’s too much already!

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

No activity for 5 days, so I guess it’s time to unpin this.

Thanks to Sefir for leading a great playthrough, and a very special thanks to Simon for providing the free copies and for the many MANY interesting insights!!! Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

This was a great Community Playthrough! Thanks again to Sefir and Simon.  Grin

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I still didn’t finish it. Bought an appartement and between everything haven’t had time to play much. I’ll come back to this thread when I have more time to finish it and get out of Planet Forte.

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Thanks again everyone, and please keep an eye on my next projects ^^

During this CPT I discovered 2 other adventure games that I would recommend: Roonsehv and Void&Meddler;. I already introduced Roonsehv earlier and it’s a beautiful free game in a parallel world to Myst (and it’s not necessarily for the fans of Myst only). Regarding Void & Meddler, it’s a game made by french people that I had been following for a while. It’s quite a strange game, in a harsh cyberpunk world and it won’t please everyone, however the graphics are really good if you are not too reluctant to pixel art.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Thanks again everyone for the nice words. It was a very successful AGCP.

giom - 04 December 2015 06:34 PM

I still didn’t finish it. Bought an appartement and between everything haven’t had time to play much. I’ll come back to this thread when I have more time to finish it and get out of Planet Forte.

Feel free to post your thoughts when you finish it! Smile

Total Posts: 5553

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m bumping this old playthrough thread because I’m just now playing the remastered version of ASA on my iMac.  I decided to follow the playthrough to see if I’m on the right track, and so far I worked out how to unlock the door at the end of the first corridor and finally managed to open the safe in the greenhouse.  It’s a lovely game so far, especially the flowers and the birds, and I really liked the intro with the cube.  I have read two diary logs and look forward to seeing where else I can explore.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

that thread brings on me some not very good memories Smile

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Oh yes it’s been a bad period for you Advie, so sorry..

However I’m glad to see that there are still people to play ASA. Lady Kestrel I wish that you enjoy the game until the end.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Ra - 01 November 2015 09:53 PM

and it time to go back to the real thing which i wasnt been giving its time enough lately, yeah the 12-14 hours of adventuring each week or the even yp to 5-6 a day, where have they gone?:D

I hope you were able to get back to 5-6 hours of advgaming, life is not the same without it!  Innocent

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Simon_ASA - 14 November 2017 05:21 AM

Oh yes it’s been a bad period for you Advie, so sorry..

“things a have strange ways of wearing you down” Smile
Thanks you Simon!

Headycakesofdoom - 14 November 2017 08:00 AM
Ra - 01 November 2015 09:53 PM

and it time to go back to the real thing which i wasnt been giving its time enough lately, yeah the 12-14 hours of adventuring each week or the even yp to 5-6 a day, where have they gone?:D

I hope you were able to get back to 5-6 hours of advgaming, life is not the same without it!  Innocent

Exactly, you feel have lost you patience to complete anything.

Total Posts: 5553

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

After much trial and (mostly) error, I finally got the coordinates correct, the airlock open, and am wandering around on the planet with the deserted village.  I laughed when I fell into the trap because it reminded me of visiting Gehn in Riven.  Neat stuff!

I have a question about some instructions I found on Forte’s computer.  It tells me to write a command with no caps.  How do I get lowercase letters on this computer?

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top