• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Autumn AG Challenge Guidelines, Info & Chat

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Guidelines for the 2015 Autumn Adventure Game Challenge

Welcome Players!
Please take the time to familiarize yourself with these procedures before participating. 

DATES & GENERAL INFO
The challenge will run for 5 weeks beginning on Saturday, October 10 and ending on Saturday, November 14

Each week you will have 2 puzzles to solve.  The deadline for your weekly answers will be each Saturday at 10:00PM Greenwich Mean Time, and new puzzles will be posted soon after along with the cumulative scores.

Please submit your answers via PM only.

Do not post any hints nor answers in the threads or you could be disqualified from playing that week.

Use this thread for general discussions throughout the 5 weeks.

PUZZLES
Each puzzle will have its own thread that will be pinned for the week so it doesn’t get lost in the forum’s shuffle.

Since there are many different types of puzzles in the challenge, I will be using a variety of scoring methods.  Please read the directions for each puzzle carefully.  If they aren’t clear to you, let me know via PM.  I will post in this thread if any puzzle corrections or clarifications need to be made, so check it regularly.

When submitting your answers, please put the puzzle name in the subject line.  If you submit answers for both puzzles in the same PM, please label them in the body of your message as well.

Please make sure your answers are complete, especially if they’re part of a series. 

All types of adventure games are fodder for the puzzles, including text adventures, indie and freeware games, kids’ games, and hybrids with some action or RPG elements.

PRIZES
The prize for each of the top three scorers will be the player’s choice of a new game. In addition, a consolation prize will be drawn from the names of those not in the top 3 places.  To qualify for this drawing, a player must participate in at least 4 out of the 5 weeks.  A positive score is not necessary to qualify.  Wink

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Stickied for the duration of the AAGC! Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Wait, you can get a negative score??? Gasp

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Only if you don’t guess anything right. Grin

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

For those who need a handle on the time differences, this is the resource I use:
http://www.worldtimezone.com/
Right now I’m on Eastern Daylight Time but will be switching to standard time halfway through the competition.  For me, this is the easiest way to keep track.
Smile

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The week 1 puzzles have been posted.  I apologize for the images being too big for the forum pages, but I wanted them to be seen clearly and didn’t want to risk making them smaller. 

By the way, I do have plain print versions of some of the word puzzles, including this week’s, if you have printing or viewing problems.  Just let me know.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Lady Kestrel - 10 October 2015 10:24 AM

The week 1 puzzles have been posted.  I apologize for the images being too big for the forum pages, but I wanted them to be seen clearly and didn’t want to risk making them smaller.

LadyK, it would be nice if we could scroll through the pics. I’ve put your 4 files in one file and made it a bit smaller so it fits the page. People can still turn to your original file if they want a better look. If you want me to remove my file, just say the word.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Thanks Karlok, that helped me! And thank you LK for great 2 introductory puzzles! I have a suggestion about the pictures - you could post the direct link below the picture, like this:

http://tinyurl.com/o2oghf7

for example, for Fall Flips, it would be:

DIRECT LINK 1-11
DIRECT LINK 12-23
DIRECT LINK 24-37
DIRECT LINK 38-45

(I had to tinyurl the links first, because direct photobucket links won’t work with the forum software)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Another option is to link the picture in the puzzle thread itself, to a link tinyurl provides, like this:

so when you click on it, it shows the complete picture

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

If you right click, my pics appear in a new window.  Also, I purposely didn’t resize them for clarity’s sake.  Players can look above if they want a different choice.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Lady Kestrel - 10 October 2015 01:30 PM

If you right click, my pics appear in a new window.  Also, I purposely didn’t resize them for clarity’s sake.  Players can look above if they want a different choice.

I understand why you didn’t want to resize them. But why four files? It makes it much harder to compare pics.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Karlok - 10 October 2015 01:43 PM

I understand why you didn’t want to resize them. But why four files? It makes it much harder to compare pics.

From past experience, Photobucket will resize files if they are too big.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Please note:  Number 5 in Autumn Accolades had an extra space in the last word.  This has been corrected.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2013-03-09

PM

Well, I see LadyK does not disappoint once again!  Great start to the Autumn Challenge - with challenge being the operative word!  Good luck, everyone!

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I have a question: how much cheating is acceptable/ethical for Autumn Accolades? It’s tempting to start looking/searching through lists of adventure games for matching titles; but once you start thinking along those lines, it’s even more tempting to do some regex-fu and solve the whole thing instantly. But that doesn’t seem fair, or fun. So how far are we allowed to go?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

How can it be tempting when it isn’t fair or fun…??

But I have no idea what regex-fu is, so I’m not tempted anyway.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top