• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

gabriel knight 2

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I just bought gabriel knight 2 from gog. the entire series is on sale this weekend for like 5 dollars, but I already bought part one from steam, the remastered version. I never played two or three. I remember two coming out but not buying bc I hated FMV games except for the wing commander series. well here I am im guessing some 20 yrs later about to finally play part two for the first time. for the record I bought it for 2 dollars from gog. I figured each time I stop playing it I will give a mini review and my general thoughts from that day’s playtime. wish me luck

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

A favorite of mine. Marvelous story, great music. One of the most charismatic and interesting NPCs in the history of adventure games. And Gabe. Smile

Hope you enjoy The Beast Within.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I have no clue what the point of this thread is supposed to be, but here’s a good recent discussion about the game: http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/2604/

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

dont want to read that bc its spoiler heavy.

I have played the first two days and overall I am enjoying the story, the guy playing gabriel looks the part but falls into and out of the southern accent worse than tim curry did, plus he is not as humorous, which is not a bad thing bc some of gabriel’s overly womanizing humor went too far in the original into parody shtick. grace on the other hand seems bi polar so far. one second she is normal the next she is flipping out very dramatically not sure if it is what the director was telling her to do or just her acting ability lol. My favorite character so far is the guy running the bar in rittersburg (he looks so familar)

so far the puzzles have been extremely easy for the most part. I only got stuck twice momentarily and one was right at the end of day two. I actually feel a little dumb. [spoiler]I gave the woman the envelop to send to gabriel but she wouldnt take it, since she only spoke german I had no idea why she would not take it, I started looking for stamps before finally fingering out I needed to give her money. this never dawned on me bc in the first day gabriel did not have to give money to send grace the letter.[spoiler]

Im enjoying the overall story so far and the best part has been in day 2 bc grace is getting to do research and wearwolfs and german history interest me a great deal so I love learning the fiction of this story. This is jane’s best gift as a writer to me, and that is combing fiction and non fiction elements together to make an interesting story.

I hope we get to see more of the castle but im guessing we prob dont.

I gave gk1 a 9.5
so far gk2 gets a 8.5 still really good but has not captured me right away like gk1 did, I think it has to do with the inconsistent acting and dialogue. still a really fun game so far.

I will update as I play morev

Total Posts: 197

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

I’ve played Gabriel Knight 2 long after playing 1 & 3. (in 2007) And I loved it!
I haven’t played many FMV games at all, but this one really captured me in every possible way. I still remember some of the (shocking) scenes, reading everything in the museum etc…

I don’t know how the GOG version is, but the only bad side was the bad quality of the FMV, with awful scanlines.

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Jdawg445 - 03 October 2015 05:00 PM

so far gk2 gets a 8.5 still really good but has not captured me right away like gk1 did, ...

I’m really looking forward to hear your thoughts on the following chapters.  Seriously, each time I think about GK2 I get really nostalgic. I was totally addicted to GK2 as a teenager (and beyond), and I don’t know how many times I played the first two GK games back then.

Don’t want to go into detail before you finish, but I can tell you there are a lot of highlights ahead!!! Smile

By the way:
I had a chance of visiting Neuschwanstein in 2012, and it felt like I was a teenager again. I can definitely recommend watching the GK 2 location tour video after you finished. It’s very cool! Smile

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I recently replayed GK2 for about the fifth or sixth time and it remains in my top ten of AG:s. not quite as good as GK3 overall imo, but on the other hand a bit more even and without the downright bad elements of GK3.

Ingmar: There’s a patch, or mod, that deinterlaces the movies. The GOG version of GK2 uses it.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Just beat day three and I really like where the story is going, and I love the hunting lodge, love they used the same music in the police station. in fact I love the music as a whole. my only problem there is the mixing is off and sometimes its hard to hear what characters are saying. dean is growing on me as gabriel, but he is still lacking the charisma tim curry brought to the role, he is much more reserved of a character in this game, which is not a bad thing bc it shows character growth. the puzzles have been easy for the most part except just like in the first game a stupid clock puzzle who would have thought to put a clock in that plant I mean really, thats the only time I used a hint or walkthrough. I plan on playing day 4 today. the game seems kind of short but I know fmv were expensive to shoot.

so far still an 8.5 but could see it going up.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

beat day 4 and 5 today still enjoying the game. day 4 was far the best day of the game, bc it was mostly learning about history and using it to help the fictional story along. day 5 I know was meant to be scary but it just was not, the cgi wolf was so funny looking, I was laughing out loud when I let gabe die by muppet wolf lol. so far I have figured out every twist and turn about 4 steps ahead of gabe of course that one guy was not the main wolf, and why would gabe follow von glower, I mean you already know ones a werewolf why would you not suspect another member of the lodge to be one too I like the mythology the game is using for their version of the werewolf

day 4 I give a 9.5
day 5 I give a 7, was not scary and the acting was super bad bc the actors had nothing to look at, they would have been better off just using a real wolf bc the cgi werewolf looked no bigger anyways.

overall still a 8.5. Im really liking it but does not hold up to gabriel knight 1 to me

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Veovis - 06 October 2015 05:19 AM

Ingmar: There’s a patch, or mod, that deinterlaces the movies. The GOG version of GK2 uses it.

Thank you very much, Veovis! Smile  I bought all of the GK games again on GOG a few years back. I don’t remember playing the GOG version of GK2, though, so either I forgot about this or I was never aware of it.  That’s very cool. Once I re-play GK2, I really need to try that deinterlaced version!

It is very interesting to hear your thoughts on the first five chapters, Jdawg. I totally agree about chapter 4. I’m still fascinated by how much effort and research Jane invested to come up with all of these historical bits, which made the whole back-story of GK2 incredibly immersive. I was a little disappointed, though, when I visited Neuschwanstein… no wolves on any paiting. Wink  But seriously, no matter how much is real and how much is fiction, I have tons of respect for someone who can blend these two sides, and turn them into something so organical.

Concerning chapter 5: I totally get what you’re saying. It is very well possible I would feel the same way if I would play GK 2 for the first time now. When I originally played the game, I must have been 15 years old, and I was so immersed that all of the short-comings you mention didn’t bother me at all. It may be hard to understand this in 2015, but I even admit that I was pretty scared by chapter 5 back then. Wink

The shelves were full of FMV games at the time, and - unlike you -I was very excited about this new technology.  I was probably too young to scrutinze certain things back in the days, and actually I’m glad that I didn’t. In the meantime I probably lost any kind of objectivity because there is so much personal nostalgia connected to GK2.

However, 8.5 is still pretty good, and I’m very glad that someone can play the game in 2015 and still have a good time overall. Smile

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

well, lucky you Jdawg445!, you have caught Ingmar interest, and brought her out of her cave, no one ever been able to do such a thing Wink

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Advie, I was never really away. I’m just not writing much on message boards in general. However, certain trigger words help. “Gabriel Knight 2” is certainly one of them. Wink

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

just pulling your legs Ingmar Tongue , also i always thought GK2 is one of the least of Sierra and too way overratted, but maybe now i gotta give it more attention Smile , cheeers!

Total respect for you Ingmar!

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Ingmar - 07 October 2015 11:07 AM
Veovis - 06 October 2015 05:19 AM

Thank you very much, Veovis! Smile  I bought all of the GK games again on GOG a few years back. I don’t remember playing the GOG version of GK2, though, so either I forgot about this or I was never aware of it.  That’s very cool. Once I re-play GK2, I really need to try that deinterlaced version!

It is very interesting to hear your thoughts on the first five chapters, Jdawg. I totally agree about chapter 4. I’m still fascinated by how much effort and research Jane invested to come up with all of these historical bits, which made the whole back-story of GK2 incredibly immersive. I was a little disappointed, though, when I visited Neuschwanstein… no wolves on any paiting. Wink  But seriously, no matter how much is real and how much is fiction, I have tons of respect for someone who can blend these two sides, and turn them into something so organical.

Concerning chapter 5: I totally get what you’re saying. It is very well possible I would feel the same way if I would play GK 2 for the first time now. When I originally played the game, I must have been 15 years old, and I was so immersed that all of the short-comings you mention didn’t bother me at all. It may be hard to understand this in 2015, but I even admit that I was pretty scared by chapter 5 back then. Wink

The shelves were full of FMV games at the time, and - unlike you -I was very excited about this new technology.  I was probably too young to scrutinze certain things back in the days, and actually I’m glad that I didn’t. In the meantime I probably lost any kind of objectivity because there is so much personal nostalgia connected to GK2.

However, 8.5 is still pretty good, and I’m very glad that someone can play the game in 2015 and still have a good time overall. Smile

thanks and yes still a great game, grace was a lot more bearable in chapter 4, I guess I feel like in gabe’s side there is not much investigation going on as there should be. like I loved day 1, it is my 2nd fav day so far because, as gabe you were collecting evidence such as the wolf hair and paw print, and then having it analyzed to show the zoo wolves were not the culprits. plus splicing the tape together was fun. on the zoo side of things is where I have one problem with the story so far. you basically find out the zoo wolves are innocent in chapter 1, but it seems gabe as a character doesnt figure it out until he spots the wolf tags in the holding cell in chapter 5 another small plot hole also in chapter 3 to 5 is the game shows gabe return to the farm at the end of chapter 3 and he is being watched most likely by von glower maybe von zell and that is how chapter 3 ends. the next time we see gabe he is at von glowers getting busy with a woman, what happened in that in between time I wonder. that was my favorite scene so far concerning von glower, I think he knows gabe is a monster hunter and is using him to kill von zell for him, bc he cant bc its against the werewolves rule book lol

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Back in the day, I bought a used copy of GB 2 for 33 dollars (a complete collectors edition) and though that was quite pricey.

However - loved the game and is still one of my favorite adventure games of all time.

I really need to replay this game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Advie - 07 October 2015 11:26 AM

just pulling your legs Ingmar Tongue

I know. Wink

also i always thought GK2 is one of the least of Sierra and too way overratted, but maybe now i gotta give it more attention

Maybe it just isn’t your cup of tea, which is perfectly alright. However, if you ever give it another try… please let us know how you feel about it. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top