• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady Kestrelluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game with most “Macgyver” type puzzles?

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2006-01-27

PM

Itching for a new adventure game and wondering which one had puzzles that were closest to Macgyver in nature? So more real world objects used in clever ways (not just screwdriver to turn screw, letter opener to open letter, key to open door, etc). No Myst puzzles or silly cartoony solutions.

Lost in Time for instance used real world objects in clever ways. I prefer 1st person but 3rd will do.

Appreciate the help!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

most inventory puzzles ags has that Macgyver style, but especially 3rd person ones..

you should try the Return to Mysterious Island, i think its the ultimate Macgyver ag(s), and its 1st person.

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2006-01-27

PM

I have played RTMI 1 and 2 and you’re right they are pretty close.

Any others that y’all can think of? Preferably with several dangerous situations to get out of with your wits. I prefer that to the more “running errands” time adventure game.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Secrets of Da Vinci: The Forbidden Manuscript had a similar sense of real-world logic to most of the puzzles from what I remember - I enjoyed it a lot.

Also a bit less real-world, but Journey To The Moon (aka Voyage) had a similar approach - the setting is alien but it’s still about understanding how things work and then using them in sometimes unexpected ways.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Seconded Voyage, there are many smart and inventive puzzles involving using/combining all sort of items and mechanisms.
Also try Lighthouse by Sierra - another steampunk adventure with many contraptions. And The Riddle of Master Lu by Sanctuary Woods (third-person, but with plenty of MacGyver moments).

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

For inventory heavy “make weird stuff” type games with a slightly MacGuyver type feel, I would say:

Lost Horizon
Secret Files 1-3

Although they are all 3rd person.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2009-04-25

PM

Corrosion: Cold Winter Waiting has some puzzles of the type you’re talking about.

Just as a warning, though, it has some pretty disturbing subject matter (more the background story than what’s shown visually) so it’s not a game for the squeamish. Smile

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

I don’t know about the puzzles, but there is the cousin of Mac Gyver in Donald Dowell and the Ghost of Barker Manor (true!)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top