• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrelzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Beginner’s Guide

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The Beginner’s Guide is a narrative video game from Davey Wreden, the creator of The Stanley Parable. It lasts about an hour and a half and has no traditional mechanics, no goals or objectives. Instead, it tells the story of a person struggling to deal with something they do not understand.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/303210/

Came out of nowhere and probably best played without knowing anything about it. I don’t really know how to explain it without spoiling it, reminded me of Adaptation but about games creation.

Total Posts: 5045

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Is there any interaction at all that would make this different from watching a movie?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

rtrooney - 01 October 2015 08:33 PM

Is there any interaction at all that would make this different from watching a movie?

Yes, you walk around and press buttons. There is one puzzle.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Bump. It’s hard to pull off a satisfying twist in a game and apparently this one is a corker. Another interesting title under the radar.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

The best part was the super symbolic meta-ending, the one where i got a refund on steam because it was really short and i didnt like it Wink
I shouldv filmed my hand in slow motion hitting the enter key on the refund request to music, they could sell that as dlc.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Is Coda real?

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I would assume no. At most he’s based on people the author has known and their experiences. There certainly are obscure avant-gard freeware games out there. It was an interesting premise.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Also thought he wasn’t, at the end my theory is that Coda is himself

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Not a bad theory, i think what particulary supports it is At the end you see these messages sent by coda to the narrator, and you see him say stop editing in lamp posts to the levels. So either thats the narrators craziness, trying to make the games more meaningful in his quest to vicariously enjoy sharing them.. or its coda talking to himself.
It is also worth pointing out though it seems like coda may be female. The character is often addressed as she and ma’m. But that doesnt rule out it being the narrator, as its just a representation

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

zane - 06 October 2015 07:12 AM

The best part was the super symbolic meta-ending, the one where i got a refund on steam because it was really short and i didnt like it Wink
I shouldv filmed my hand in slow motion hitting the enter key on the refund request to music, they could sell that as dlc.

Haha, man, I’m sorry for the dev, which I now am a fan of (only first played the Stanley Parable last night with my girlfriend and we loved it), but your post made me spit kombucha all over the keyboard. So yeah, nice one. You owe me a keyboard, buddy.

And I’m kind of looking forward to the game, either way Crazy

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Mr Underhill - 06 October 2015 03:11 PM

Haha, man, I’m sorry for the dev, which I now am a fan of (only first played the Stanley Parable last night with my girlfriend and we loved it), but your post made me spit kombucha all over the keyboard. So yeah, nice one. You owe me a keyboard, buddy.

And I’m kind of looking forward to the game, either way Crazy

haha. Yeah i feel bad for the dev too. A less than 2 hour game on steam is going to have sales issues. I wasnt happy with it, so i refunded. I liked the stanley parable much more. Still, this had some interesting stuff to think about in it.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

zane - 06 October 2015 11:27 AM

Not a bad theory, i think what particulary supports it is At the end you see these messages sent by coda to the narrator, and you see him say stop editing in lamp posts to the levels. So either thats the narrators craziness, trying to make the games more meaningful in his quest to vicariously enjoy sharing them.. or its coda talking to himself.
It is also worth pointing out though it seems like coda may be female. The character is often addressed as she and ma’m. But that doesnt rule out it being the narrator, as its just a representation

Seemed like he was showing his experiments with various games and how loved that period of creative freedom but then he started to add goals to make the game more “commercial” and possible to be shown to other people and that took away his freedom, added pressure.
Like you said, I think gives a lot to think about (and I’m not even a developer).

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The Beginner’s Guide took me 104 minutes to finish and I skipped two parts because I found them tedious. One was the housecleaning bit. When the commands started repeating, my reaction was: yeah, yeah, I get it, I’m out of here. Nice addition by the way, the option to skip parts.

I have mixed feelings about TBG. It didn’t really resonate with me, although I’m sure everybody recognizes and shares Davey’s/Coda’s emotions. Near the end I started feeling somewhat uncomfortable. It was as if I’d been invited to be a voyeur. I accepted that invitation by playing the game to the end, and it did make me think about my experience of the game and its content. That’s good, I guess. I might replay it at some point to see if I feel more involved the second time.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 07 October 2015 05:48 AM

I have mixed feelings about TBG. It didn’t really resonate with me, although I’m sure everybody recognizes and shares Davey’s/Coda’s emotions. Near the end I started feeling somewhat uncomfortable. It was as if I’d been invited to be a voyeur. I accepted that invitation by playing the game to the end, and it did make me think about my experience of the game and its content. That’s good, I guess. I might replay it at some point to see if I feel more involved the second time.

That is good point, the game did started to feel uncomfortable at some point. And also sad, that last level was just sad.
That cleaning level reminded me of Sunset and at the end also thought of Tale of Tales as developers and some of the preblems they had.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top