• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

colpet - 11 August 2016 06:27 PM

What is wrong with those answers?
1+(2x3)=7 and   2 + (8x5) =42

Oh good grief. I was reading them as (1+2)x3=9 and (2+5)x8=56 !! Looks like I’m the one who needs to go back to school!!

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I agree with Colpet. Although I often have problems with this type of puzzle. I forget the “rules” of equations that I learned in basic algebra sometime around 8th grade.

Most of us read left to right so when we see 2+4x6 we see 36 as the answer. 2+4=6x6=36.
When the real answer is 2+(4x6)=26. Numbers surrounding multiplication and division take precedence over numbers surrounding plus and minus.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

You always have to try it both ways, both with and without the inferred parentheses around multiplied and divided numbers. It makes it harder to solve these arithmetic puzzles because you don’t know if the developer is following the normal math rules or not.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

rtrooney - 11 August 2016 04:39 PM

I played The Secret Order - The Buried Kingdom demo. It’s the fifth game in the series. I’ve played four. I liked the demo, but I’m not sure whether I liked it enough to make the purchase.

I’ve recently played The Secret Order:  Masked Intent and The Secret Order: Ancient Times and thought they were very good, so of course I thought The Secret Order:  Beyond Time would be too.

Well, it’s definitely not.  I don’t know if it was the first in the series, but it looks like it was done by a completely different team with crammed scenes, indistinct hotspots and practically every mini game being some version of a slider puzzle.  Also you collect things with no idea what they’re for and when you finally get to use them there is no satisfaction because you have to do three other things to complete the objective.  Ugh!

So it is with mixed feelings I approach The Secret Order - The Buried Kingdom.  Usually I don’t bother with the demo because it seems spoilerish and purchase the CE version of a game I’m sure I’ll like based on comments from the discerning folks in this thread. 

I’m not as strong on plot lines as Tim, since they all seem pretty preposterous to me, so maybe I’ll take the plunge unless I’m warned off for other reasons such as the above.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

According to info at the developer website (sunwardgames.com) and allaboutcasualgame.com
these are the dates of release for the Secret Order series

The Secret Order: New Horizon 17 Dec 2011
The Secret Order: Masked Intent 17 March 2013
The Secret Order: Ancient Times 25 May 2014
The Secret Order: Beyond Time   22 March 2015
The Secret Order: The Buried Kingdom 22 May 2016

The first 3 games are similar.
The last 2 don’t seem like the same series and for some reason the release dates aren’t available at the developer website, though allaboutcasualgame.com indicates Sunward Games developed all five games.

http://www.sunwardgames.com/?portfolio=the-secret-order-new-horizon
http://www.sunwardgames.com/?portfolio=the-secret-order-masked-intent
http://www.sunwardgames.com/?portfolio=the-secret-order-ancient-times
http://www.allaboutcasualgame.com/2015/04/the-secret-order-beyond-time-review.html
http://www.allaboutcasualgame.com/2016/06/the-secret-order-buried-kingdom-review.html

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Correction. I only played three of the five games. Masked Intent, Ancient Times and Beyond Time. I’ve only played the demo of the other two. I agree with Dara100 about Beyond Time. It’s probably the reason I’m reluctant to pull the trigger. Plus, I don’t like having to purchase the CE in order to finish the game. I’ll probably pop for it eventually, but I’ll wait for a BIG sale.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Thanks for the info, crabapple.  Too bad if it’s similar to the last one.  Seems like New Horizon may be one to try.  That review did say the games were inconsistent, but they liked the new one.  Also, it indicated they were back on track after Beyond Time.

I’m with you Tim, think I’ll hold off for a while and wait for a sale.

EDIT:  Hey Tim, The Secret Order: The Buried Kingdom non-CE is on sale for $2.99 at Big Fish.  The CEs are also on sale.

I broke my rule and played some of the demo and it is one of the good ones.  The puzzles were extremely easy, so if I buy it I’ll up the difficulty, but other than that the gameplay was fine.  It should be pretty enjoyable.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I did order the new Secret Order SE today. I was long enough since I played the demo that I forgot what I was supposed to be doing. I’ll report back once I’ve played some more.

For those who are interested, I will be re-starting the Casual Playthrough thread in another week or so. Where I live, the kids are back in school. Tomatoes are being harvested. So maybe it’s time. I hope so. I miss the camaraderie of a playthrough.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5592

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I finally got my new iMac up and running, so I can now play the newer games.  I’m currently playing the 3rd Enigmatis game, which I’m enjoying.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Lady Kestrel - 22 August 2016 09:42 PM

I finally got my new iMac up and running, so I can now play the newer games.  I’m currently playing the 3rd Enigmatis game, which I’m enjoying.

Congrats on the new rig, Lady K.!

Total Posts: 5592

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Thanks, Colpet!  It has a lot of extras that I really don’t need, and there are a few things I wish they had kept from the old OS, but on the whole, I’m liking it.  I especially like the wireless magic mouse that scrolls with a finger swipe.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I played the demo of ERS Games’ Dark Tales - Edgar Allan Poe’s Metzengerstein. I have liked earlier games in this series. The Black Cat was/is my favorite. However, ever since Gold Bug came out ERS basically seems to be going through the motions. There are six reviews on BFG. They are evenly divided between “greatest game ever” and “save your money.” With those in the latter group pretty much saying what I said, but in stronger terms.

Which is kind of a shame. First, I am unfamiliar with this particular Poe story, unlike the others in the series. Not that it matters. Saying that these games are “loosely based” on Poe’s stories give the games far too much credit. Nevertheless, because I am not familiar with the story makes me want to play the game just to see how it ends. And yet I’m afraid it will end with me being disappointed…as was the case with the last two Dark Tales games I played, House of Usher and Marie Roget.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I bought, played and finished Dark Tales - Edgar Allan Poe’s Metzengerstein. I’ll give it a solid 3/5 stars. Certainly not the best game I’ve ever played, (even from this series,) but it is certainly not the worst. (Again, there are worse games in this series.)

As I was unfamiliar with Poe’s original story, I can’t tell you how close this game hews to the storyline. That really doesn’t matter since it’s all new to me. The plot is simple. There are two competing families. (Think Montague v. Capulet.) The son of one family falls in love with the daughter of the other, and she reciprocates. The girl’s father is opposed to the union, to the point of irrationality. The son apparently dies in a fire, sending the girl into fits of depression. She is also visited by strange visions. One of which is surprisingly physical, as the vision is capable of abducting her.

You arrive at the scene in your usual role as aide to Inspector Dupin, who has been invited here by the girl’s family. You are tasked with finding out what is going on, and, hopefully bring things to a happy conclusion.

There is all sorts of backstory going on which you discover during a narrative that takes place during a few of the hidden object scenes. There are also notes giving additional backstory scattered throughout the various locations you visit. There is some variety in the hidden objects scenes, but nothing you haven’t seen before in ERS games. There are a few scenes, though, where I honestly didn’t know what I was supposed to be doing. In those instances I had to use the Hint button to get me started.

The puzzles are of moderate difficulty. There is a Skip button that can be set in the options menu to refresh in as little as 30 seconds to up to several minutes. Because many of the puzzles are what I call “tedious”, that is, you know how to solve the puzzle, but the number of steps just takes too long, you will be hard pressed to keep your finger off the Skip button if you have it set for a short duration. There was one puzzle that requires you to find the code that will help you solve a numerical puzzle on a device. I had the device in inventory, but could not find the code. I eventually had to use a walkthru to solve it. And, even after reading through the entire walkthru, I still don’t know where the code was hiding. Frustrating to say the least.

The graphics are top notch, which is what I would expect from an ERS game. Music and sound are above average. Voice acting is OK, but you have heard these voices before.

As with other games in this series, Inspector Dupin is in charge of the investigation, but you do all the heavy lifting. It gets irritating to be told so many times what needs to be done, only to have the Inspector disappear while you go about finding a way to do it. Dupin is really an un-needed character in these games. Either he should be the protagonist or you should just do it all.

I played the SE version of the game. The ending was satisfactory on its own. My impression is that the CE version’s bonus game material gives you more backstory. That might be nice to play, but isn’t really necessary.

A better game than I expected it to be. I’m glad I bought it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 27 July 2016 02:25 PM

I also played the demo of the new Surface game, Surface - Lost Tales. It’s from Elephant Games. It, like most of the other Surface games, has nothing but the title in common. Even with a great sale going on today, I don’t think it would be worth a purchase.

Edit: I may have been a bit hard on this game. It’s a “fractured fairytale” kind of game, with you playing the role of Cinderella, the hero who must solve whatever is going on in Fairy Tale Land. The HO scenes are suitably diverse, but the puzzles are way too simple. For somebody who likes that type of game, it may be worth a buy, and there is a good sale on today. Me, I don’t like this type of game, and probably would not play it at any price.

I played the demo of this & I wasn’t too sure, but I also played that of Cadenza which I decided to buy & as at the time there was an offer to buy 2 CEs for the price of 1 in game credits I bought the full version of both considering Surface - Lost Tales a freebie!

I thought Lost Tales got better as it progressed after the demo & the bonus extra chapter, although not really needed to conclude the game satisfactorily, was very well worth it due to its quite chunky length & the welcome addition to the story!
In contrast the bonus chapter in Cadenza seemed more of an aside & not too much of a loss if you choose the SE!

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

Myths of the World: Heart of Desolation
Myths of the World is one of those series that seems to have a “A” team and a “B” team—some games are very, very good, and some are just “meh”. Heart of Desolation is one of the very good ones, with enjoyable gameplay and insanely great artwork. The scenes are a scrambled stir-fry of Asian motifs from multiple cultures and countries, but they’re executed with a fantastic level of detail and gorgeous color. All the typical Eipix gongs and fireworks. If you’ve liked others in this series, give the demo a try and see if you think it’s the “A” team or the “B” team. BTW, the bonus chapter is not necessary to the storyline.

Image Attachments

Screen_Shot_scaled.jpg

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top