• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I played Fright on a laptop during the recent CCPT and I was surprised how much the smaller screen took away from the experience. I’ve been meaning to try a casual game on the iPad to see what it’s like—thanks for the clue about the ability to zoom in on the HO screens.

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

I recently purchased Maze: Subject 360 Collector’s Edition on a deep Steam sale (I think I paid $2.99 for the CE?), and have really enjoyed it so far. I’m not here to review it though. Instead, I’ve got an observation and a couple questions.

Casual game CE’s purchased on Steam seem to be only sort of collector edition-ish. The bonus content is there, but often times the in-game strategy guides are not. Like this game. The button to bring up the guide is present, but when I click on it a panel pops up, but it’s blank….no guide! I have also purchased other CE’s on Steam that had the guide, and still others that the button for bringing up the guide (which should be available) isn’t even part of the game interface.

Does anyone have an idea why the strategy guides are included for some CE’s purchased on Steam, but not others? The Steam help section for Maze lists BFG as the official customer support site, which leads me to believe they (BFG) licensed Steam to sell it, so why wouldn’t it be the same version as that sold at BFG?

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Mike—

The BigFish walkthrough for the SE version is here. I can only guess as to why the strategy guide isn’t available on Steam. Maybe Big Fish has rights to the walkthroughs/guides to certain games and doesn’t want the walkthrough on Steam? (Giving people a reason to buy them on Big Fish instead?) As I said, just guessing.

For anyone who participated in the CCPT for the first two Enigmatis games—it looks like the next Enigmatis game may be releasing sometime soon. There’s a preview at Allaboutcasualgame anyway!

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 09 July 2016 10:07 PM

For anyone who participated in the CCPT for the first two Enigmatis games—it looks like the next Enigmatis game may be releasing sometime soon. There’s a preview at Allaboutcasualgame anyway!

This is kind of strange. I assume the new game is from Artifex Mundi, but the copy accompanying the screenshots doesn’t specify this. And when I went to the developer site, I couldn’t find any reference to this game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

It looks like Shadow of Karkhala might be being beta tested.
You can download “something” from
http://www.bigfishgames.com/games/11404/enigmatis-the-shadow-of-karkhala-survey/
but there are no screenshots (at least not yet). All I see is a big red rectangle with the words “SCREEN 1.”
That webpage may be a placeholder or something for beta testers.
Since I’ve never beta tested for Big Fish, I don’t know if that’s normal.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The beta testing would be done by Artifex Mundi, not BFG. (Assuming that’s who the developer of this game is.) I used to try out some games for them in the past, but stopped because I didn’t like providing the information they would be receiving from my computer.

Edit: All that said, I’m curious why BFG is holding a game slot for a game that hasn’t been released. If you go to crabapple’s link and click on Buy, you will be told the game is not available.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Enigmatis 3: The Shadow of Karkhala has released on Big Fish here. I’ve played partway into the demo. A dramatic opening that then flashes back to a few days previously, with a return to Maple Creek.  Looks good so far.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Thanks for the news. It is by Artifex-Mundi, which is a good thing. There’s a sale on CEs this weekend. I may just buy it after I finish the demo. I didn’t play the CE versions of the other two games, and regretted it. Even though I rarely purchase anything but an SE, I may give into temptation.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Giving in to temptation is what I do best.  Cool

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I gave in. It’s what I do best as well.

The demo took me a little over an hour. I thought it was very good. There’s an interesting take on the hidden object scenes. I particularly liked finding the objects in the mosaic. I finished without resorting to the strategy guide, but I did use the hint button a few times. I also used the “match two” alternative twice when I couldn’t find the last object. I had another game planned for the next Casual Friday, but, assuming I finish the game between now and then, I may post a scene from this game.

Since we’ve already played the other two, and the main characters are the same, I might nominate this for the next playthrough. I’m glad we decided to hold off until the end of August. The AGCPT doesn’t seem to be progressing with any real pace, and I’m fairly certain that the same fate would have befallen a CCPT.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finished the game. I think it was easier than the second game. I think it would be very hard to write a review without some severe spoiler issues. I’ve not yet played the bonus game. But the end of the SE version reaches a very satisfactory conclusion. I also think it is safe to say that, barring an unusual twist, this is the last game in the Enigmatis series.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I also played the demo of the new Surface game, Surface - Lost Tales. It’s from Elephant Games. It, like most of the other Surface games, has nothing but the title in common. Even with a great sale going on today, I don’t think it would be worth a purchase.

Edit: I may have been a bit hard on this game. It’s a “fractured fairytale” kind of game, with you playing the role of Cinderella, the hero who must solve whatever is going on in Fairy Tale Land. The HO scenes are suitably diverse, but the puzzles are way too simple. For somebody who likes that type of game, it may be worth a buy, and there is a good sale on today. Me, I don’t like this type of game, and probably would not play it at any price.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Has anyone here played either of the Nick Chase games; Nick Chase: A Detective Story or Nick Chase and the Deadly Diamond? They both got 4.5+ ratings on jayisgames and 4-4.1 stars on BFG. I really like gritty detective games with good stories (Tex, anyone?), so these look interesting to me. They’re older games so they might not live up to today’s production standards, but maybe that’s not a bad thing?

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Mike the Wino - 27 July 2016 03:18 PM

Has anyone here played either of the Nick Chase games; Nick Chase: A Detective Story or Nick Chase and the Deadly Diamond? They both got 4.5+ ratings on jayisgames and 4-4.1 stars on BFG. I really like gritty detective games with good stories (Tex, anyone?), so these look interesting to me. They’re older games so they might not live up to today’s production standards, but maybe that’s not a bad thing?

I played the first one and quite liked it. I have always meant to play the second but for some reason never got around to it. I don’t remember much of the details but I remember it as being a good solid game but a bit old style

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2016-07-27

PM

What’s the definition for casual games?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top