• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I just played Mythic Wonders The Philosophers Stone. It’s not a new game (from Jan/2014). It’s a very good casual game but the most important thing is the music of this game. The Aether Realm Theme is just fantastic and one of the most beatiful music I ever listen in a game. The game worth itself just for the music.

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Does anyone here that purchase your casual games at BFG know the answer to this?

I am a BF Game Club member and I have an existing club credit in my account. I also have a Punch Card coupon code available for use. Let’s say I want to “buy” a SE game using the coupon code. However, at checkout their system automatically applies my credit instead. If I enter the coupon code in the appropriate box at checkout, will that override the use of the credit and restore it to my account for use at a later time?

Their help pages on using coupon codes and credits isn’t clear on this. I’ve written their Customer Service for clarification, but thought I’d ask here as well in case other folks reading this have the same question.

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Mike—yes, if you enter a coupon code, it will override the credit and restore it to your account (I’ve done that a lot).

UruBoo—I remember enjoying the game, but I don’t remember the music (I played Mythic Wonders: The Philosopher’s Stone awhile back). Maybe I’ll check out a playthrough on youtube just to listen to the music.

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Thanks Becky!

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I have been playing only a few games recently and none stand out except for this last one - Elly Cooper and the City of Antiquity. I almost didn’t buy it because I played the demo and the HOG objects are tiny to the point of needing a microscope for some. However, the rest of the game is worth it. I got over 7 hours worth of play. It is a basic game. There are inventory puzzles and standalones (things like chinese checkers and a jigsaw). I thought they were challenging enough. There was a game of Yahtzee to play, which I enjoyed, and you could go back and play it at the end of the game. One code puzzle I had to use a WT for. If anyone can explain to me how the code number sequence fits the whole alphabet, I’d like to know. This game had an old fashioned feel, parts of it made me reminisce about the Riddle of the Sphinx.There is no hand holding, and the clues are not helpful for the mini-games. Save them for finding the minuscule hidden objects instead.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I played the demo of this game a few days ago. The only thing that concerned me was the pace of the game, which I found to be quite slow. I finished the demo with only about seven minutes to spare. I didn’t get the bracelet puzzle in the father’s office. Or rather I got one half of it, but when I duplicated it on the other half…nothing! Didn’t make sense to me so I skipped it.

Does the game pick up the pace as it progresses?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

rtrooney - 03 May 2016 03:53 PM

I played the demo of this game a few days ago. The only thing that concerned me was the pace of the game, which I found to be quite slow. I finished the demo with only about seven minutes to spare. I didn’t get the bracelet puzzle in the father’s office. Or rather I got one half of it, but when I duplicated it on the other half…nothing! Didn’t make sense to me so I skipped it.

Does the game pick up the pace as it progresses?

Not really, but I guess it depends on your tastes. I’m quite happy to plod along and take my time with the details.
With regards to the bracelet puzzle:
There are red lines on the bracelet you need to match up to the lines on the grooves. Each side is different.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I swear I did that with the bracelet. The bracelet link with the fewest grooves must be placed fourth and the one with the most grooves must be placed eighth or last. But when I did it on the right side, I heard a click. On the left side…nothing. Gives me pause because not only did I not enjoy the pacing, but the, to me, inconsistency in puzzle design makes me wonder what I will find in the rest of the game.

I loved the graphics! While there is color in them, there is also a sepia-tone quality to them as well. The type faces and other decorative elements carry on the art deco theme.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

There were some puzzles that I solved by trial and error - there were clues, but not clear enough for me to figure out. The alphabet one was just too long to work my way through. Even when I had the solution, I couldn’t get it to make sense. But I would still take a difficult and occasionally frustrating puzzle design over the simplistic mini-games most casuals come with these days.
I agree with you about the graphics. Part of having items so small means a lot of detail, and there was plenty of atmosphere to the game. The Egypt chapter brought back memories of Riddle of the Sphinx. I loved that game.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I played the Elly Cooper demo and bought it with a coupon. I also liked the graphics. The story was a bit different than usual—I was sure she wouldn’t actually get to meet her father, but that he would have disappeared, leaving behind some clue. Wrong. Also, it’s unusual this early in a casual game for the heroine herself to be kidnapped. Here the heroine is as at-risk as anybody else, apparently.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I would love it if someone would write a review of this game. I didn’t like it so much based on the demo. Comments above say why. But I could be persuaded by a great review.  Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

I just finished Grim Tales: The Legacy, and thought it was…good. Beautiful graphics, decent VA, and a pretty good story. There were some pretty challenging puzzles that I hadn’t seen before, too. I haven’t played any of the other games in the series, and probably won’t as there are too many HO scenes for my tastes, and they were all just the list type. Give me some variation, please!

As I mentioned above, I did enjoy it for the most part, but I’m chiming in because of one particular “puzzle” that almost drove me to slosh back an early martini or three. It had to do with unlocking a door that had four different latches, each requiring it’s own object to trigger a puzzle to open that particular latch. Each of the four latch puzzles had multiple steps, and when I say multiple, I mean multiple! And, it was tough! When I was finally finished, I had spent pretty close to an hour on it. After it was all said and done, just for fun I checked the BF walkthrough and counted somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 steps to complete the process of unlocking that one door! (I probably used a lot more than that.) Pretty amazing, huh?

Did anyone else that played it (besides my dumb-ass self) make it all the way through that puzzle w/o skipping? I honestly don’t know why I didn’t. I’m not even sure I felt a sense of accomplishment once the torture was over…more like relief. Aptly, this door that needed opening was in the “Torture Room”!  Tongue

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I recall the game, but don’t recall that specific puzzle. This was about the time I was starting to get pissed at the whole illogical time sequence of the series. I.e., in game three, Brando was still a baby. In came four he was around seven or eight. By game five he was in his late teens. And by the time The Legacy arrived he was in his mid-late 20s. All in the space of about three years real time.

While there are puzzles I consider “tedious,” that is you know the solution, but the time it takes to actually solve the puzzle just takes too long, every now and then I run across a tedious puzzle that grabs me. This sounds like it might be one of those.

BTW, I just finished Mythic Wonders - The Philosophers Stone, which UruBoo recommended. I thought it was quite good, although I didn’t get the same pleasure from the music. The probable reason is that I tend to turn the sound down to less than 40% on most games I play. The only other this I noticed about this game is that the “episodes” seemed to get shorter as the game progressed. That might have been because the episodes were similar in design, and I just got better at them. (Probably not!!) I’ve seen the same thing happen in similarly-styled games such as the 1000 Doors series.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Just to clarify, Tim, “Legacy” is game 2 in the series…Brandon is the infant son of our sister who’s Christening we’ve been invited to (Brandon’s, not our sis). But I agree with you, the puzzle I described above is truly tedious. It didn’t grab me, but I just couldn’t let it defeat me either, so I plodded through it to the end.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

You are right. There are now ten games in the series, and I get confused as to which is which.

1. The Bride
2. The Legacy
3. The Wishes
4. The Stone Queen
5. The Vengeance (The one I was thinking of.)
6. Bloody Mary
7. The Color of Fright
8. Threads of Destiny
9. The Final Suspect
10. The Heir

I’m not sure if I got eight and nine in the correct order. I know I didn’t care much for five, and anything following that was pure crap IMO

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top