• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

That’s why the player doesn’t [spoiler]turn into gold after touching the apple—and why Woland doesn’t turn into gold when he touches it—because it’s already been touched by the King. Like the leaves, once somebody touches it, it’s not dangerous anymore. If nobody could ever touch the leaves, they wouldn’t have made the kingdom rich and prosperous, which they did, according to the story.

Total Posts: 5045

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I don’t want to play this game again right now to confirm. (But I will later Wink.)

I just want to get through the current playthrough vote, and pre-load the next AGSotD.

This coming week is absolutely packed. Need to get a dishwasher door cover replaced. Install a new garage door opener. Take my baby girl to the vet for her annual. Plus numerous other things, that while minor, just seem to add faster than I can get ahead of them.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

In the most recent Friday AGSotD, Advie inquired about a Top 10/25/X of casual games. If anyone would like to post their Top 10, please do so. I will try to get my list posted in the next few days. We can compare and, perhaps, arrive at some sort of consensus.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

My Top 10 casual games list is as follows:

1. Drawn Trilogy  I know that’s three games, but they must be played together and in order
2. Myths of the World - Of Fiends and Fairies
3. Emerald City Confidential
4. Echoes of Sorrow  A very disturbing game with very adult subject matter.
5. Enigmatis Duo  Same as Drawn. Should be played together and in order.
6. E.P.I.C. Wishmaster  May be hard to find except for the Mac Version
7. Angelica Weaver - Catch me When You Can
8. Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove
9. Lost Lands - The Four Horsemen
10. Calavera - Day of the Dead

The order of the games after the Drawn Trilogy could change on a whim. But that’s the order I feel good about today.

This is a result of a question from Advie on this thread

I hope everyone will try constructing their Top 10 list. A composite of everyone’s lists would probably be a good resource to have when making recommendations to those that are new to casual games. Give it a shot if you can.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Here is my top eleven in no particular order. There might be a few more I could add with more thought.

Phantasmat
Dire Grove
Enigmatis: 1&2
Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can
Dark Realm: Queen of Flames
9: the Dark Side
Emerald City Confidential
E.P.I.C. Wishmaster
Nightmare Adventure: Witches Prison
Beyond: Light Advent
Mystery Trackers Four Aces

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I couldn’t get it down to ten. So here are thirteen casual games that I think are good games for adventure gamers to start with—they either have no Hidden Object screens, or the HO screens are varied and/or puzzle-like.

I’ve also classified them loosely by type

F—Fantasy
H—Horror
M—Mystery
SP—Steampunk
SF—Sci fi

Age of Enigma: The Secret of the Sixth Ghost (H)
Azada In Libro (F)
Dark Realm: Queen of Flames (F)
Dead Reckoning: Silvermoon Isle (M)
Drawn Series (F)
Emerald City Confidential (F)
Enigmatis Series (H)
E.P.I.C. Wishmaster Adventures (SF) (currently not available for purchase for the PC, unfortunately)
Fright (H)
Namariel Legends: Iron Lord (SP)
Nearwood (F)
Nightmare Adventures Series (H)
Otherworld: Spring of Shadows (F)

I should note that the first Enigmatis game, The Ghosts of Maple Creek, has quite a few HO screens, but it’s important to play it in order to fully understand what’s going on in the sequel, The Mists of Ravenwood which has a fantastic ongoing story.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m hoping some more people put in their thoughts. Three of us is hardly a concensus. Smile

Of the 22 games mentioned, three were listed by all three of us, and four were listed by two people. I wasn’t expecting that fully one-third of the mentions would be listed by two or more people. All the more reason to get more votes.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2014-05-05

PM

In no particular order, my personal favorites after 86 games completed and 44 games demo’ed (yes I keep score Nerd )...

Cadenza: Music, Betrayal and Death CE
Eternal Journey: New Atlantis CE
Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can CE
The Secrets of Da Vinci
Nevertales: The Beauty Within CE
Dark Realm: Queen of Flames CE
Lost Lands: The Four Horsemen CE
Final Cut: Death on the Silver Screen CE
Off the Record: The Italian Affair CE
Hidden Expedition: Smithsonian Hope Diamond CE
Drawn: Dark Flight
(#2—I haven’t played #3 yet)

PS: They’re having a bundle special on Eipix games (37 of them!) at Big Fish—expires Friday midnight but then they’ll have a Labor Day sale, probably a BOGOF on all games.

These days I go everywhere with a carpetbag containing a crowbar, a flashlight, a screwdriver, an oilcan, a ladder, a zipper tab, and a chihuahua.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I should add that my list was made using the criteria of games I liked that i thought had excellent design and artistic merit. There are also games out there that I like a lot that for one reason or another might be considered average or even awful. Maybe I need a new list!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Hey! All our lists are subject to change without notice. On any given day Fright might replace Calavera. Just depends on the way I feel. Of the ten games I nominated, only two would be considered “lighthearted”. But there are days when a lighthearted game is exactly what I need. I don’t think any of these lists should be considered as “cast in stone”. There’s a game out there that could replace any of my selections. I just haven’t played it yet.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

In January 2015, this was my list as posted at GB:
I played 41 casuals in 2013 and 31 in 2014. So these are my top 20 out of 72 relatively recent games. They are all standard editions unless otherwise noted.

9 The Dark Side of Notre Dame
Alex Hunter Lord of the Mind
Ashley Clark Secrets of the Ruby
Break the Curse Crimson Gems
Corpatros the Hidden Village
Cruel Collections Any Wish Hotel
Grim Tales Color of Fright
Mayan Prophecies Ship of Spirits
MCF Fate’s Carnival CE
Mystery Castle the Mirror’s Secret
Mystery Trackers Blackrow’s Secret
Mystery Trackers 4 Aces
Nearwood CE
Nightmare Adventures Turning Thorn
Nightmare Mysteries Amphora Prisoner
New York Mysteries Secrets of the Mafia
Questerium Sinister Trinity
Surface the Pantheon
Warlock Curse of the Shaman
Web of Deceit Deadly Sands

This year, out of 17 Casuals played, I have these favorites:
Cursed Island Mask of Barabus
Mystery of the Lost Planet
Lost Lands Four Horsemen
Dangerous Games Illusionist
The Emptiness
Beyond the Invisible Evening
Namerial Legends Iron Lord
Big Secret Small Town

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Having some computer issues. I.e., am working on a small, under-powered laptop while the regular PC gets repaired. I hope to get the top casual games list compiled when (if) I get my PC back next week.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

PS to Colpet:

I forgot about Big Secret, Small Town.

I would include it among my favorites, but I am somewhat torn. The game is light on story and very heavy on puzzles. And the puzzles are all 8+ on a 1-to-10 scale. There are some hybrid HO scenes, e.g. find the eight gears needed to complete the puzzle. Except the gears are in multiple locations. Not just the train a la Angelica Weaver.

And then you need to solve the gear puzzle, which is different from any gear puzzle you’ve ever seen.

This is a very “niche” game. I doubt it sold well on BFG. (Something that was discussed earlier in this thread.) Of the regulars here, I think only three or four played it. Me, Colpet and, I believe crabapple and furgotten.

It’s not my favorite casual of all time. (Quasi top 10? Maybe!) But even if it was, I would have a hard time putting it in my top 10. If only for the reason that it would, in my opinion, be too difficult a game to use as an introduction to casual gaming. And that was what i was kind of looking for when I suggested the lists.

There are threads galore that discuss games that would introduce newbies to Adventure Games. There are none for casual newbies.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Ha - I am actually playing a casual game and it’s quite fun - Lights, Camera, Curses - it would be great as a CPT.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

There are threads galore that discuss games that would introduce newbies to Adventure Games. There are none for casual newbies.

Indeed. My favorites would not be suitable for non-gamers, but I think that people well versed in traditional Adventure games may like more of a challenge if they were to branch into Casuals.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top