• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Detective Ross Episode 1: A PI in Paris

This is a Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure that is unusual for the genre because the cutscenes are full-motion video while the environments are made up of photographs. It reminds me somewhat of the Casebook FMV series from a few years ago, though, unlike Casebook, A PI in Paris falls much more clearly into the HO game category rather than the adventure category.

Detective Ross is an American private investigator living in Paris. A wealthy foreigner’s son has been kidnapped, and he demands that Ross find his son without involving the police.

I really liked the portrayal of this quirky American detective—he looks hard-bitten, which fits the noirish atmosphere. And his voice is gruff and expressive. The accent has me puzzled. Sometimes it sounds American, sometimes a bit Australian, with maybe a hint of French.

There’s a fair amount of dialog in this game, and you have the chance to choose Ross’s attitude during conversations – either “friendly,” “professional” or “aggressive.” The second time I played, I selected different attitudes, and this did change the comments and responses in intriguing ways. It didn’t seem to change the story much, however. Cutscenes of the streets of Paris are backed by lovely jazz interludes.

A PI in Paris has frequent Hidden Object screens (list-based and non-interactive) plus a recurring Memory game where you flip cards and match them. Jigsaw puzzles during Ross’s investigation feature gorgeous scenes from Paris. There are inventory challenges and some additional puzzles (figuring out a code, and a photo-comparison sequence, for example). A timed confrontation with an armed villain can lead to a game-over screen, but you are allowed to retry until you manage to best him.

Some oddities – the game doesn’t have an installation program, so you have to unzip the file after downloading. The translation is adequate, but there are noticeable grammar errors in the notebook, which gives you instructions from time to time and also serves as a hint system.

Although my initial playthrough was glitch-free, the second time I played I encountered glitches. Trying to access the hint system during the card-matching challenge froze the screen. And a couple of times I did something that caused the game to loop back to the beginning of the location. Exiting entirely and then re-entering the game fixed this problem, allowing me to progress without having to repeat anything.

A PI in Paris took me an hour and a half to play. This first episode in the Detective Ross series ends on a cliffhanger. Cliffhangers are fine if the next episode is set to release soon. Unfortunately, there’s no indication as to when Episode 2 will be available. It’s too bad, as I was drawn into the story and enjoyed the setting, dialogs and characters. It was refreshing to play a casual HO game that’s full FMV; in a genre that’s becoming quite “samey,” innovation is important. I hope Episode 2 does release, giving closure to the mystery.

You won’t find this game on Big Fish, but you can purchase it from the developer here.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The website and trailer look interesting. At the bottom of the site is the purchasing information, although I don’t know if it’s accurate. It says “4 for only $99.” I can only assume that that means $99 for four episodes. That’s $25/episode, which is quite a cost for an episode that only lasts 1.5 hours. I didn’t investigate deeper, but the site didn’t say if you could purchase the episodes individually.

Call me cautious, but I don’t think I would plunk down the full $99 hoping the developer will deliver the other three episodes sometime in the near future. This isn’t Telltale!

Did you think the game/episode was worth whatever you paid for it?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

If you click through, you’ll see that they meant that the first episode costs $4.99.

I think they put a dollar sign in the wrong place on that first page—it is definitely confusing.

Is it worth $4.99? I’d like to see more FMV detective HOPAs. It would add spice to the standard casual offerings. So if you’re looking for something different, and if story is important to you, it’s worth it. If you’re more interested in extensive gameplay, then you will be disappointed by how short the game is.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Finally, something different then fairy tales, witches, princess and kingdoms in the universe of casual games. I’m talking about Beyond Light Advent. A Sci-Fi story with aliens, spaceships and other worlds. I enjoyed very much. Worth having a look.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I will look for that, UruBoo. Becky and I were just talking about Sci-Fi games, and how few of them there are that deal with aliens and space travel.

I just finished the demo of Grim Façade - Hidden Sins. I would write a review, but the game doesn’t merit one. Not because it isn’t a good game. But because there is nothing new. If substitute the characters from the first game in the series, Grim Façade - Mystery in Venice into this game, it’s virtually identical….right down to finding coins throughout the game so you can buy inventory items from a sleazy merchant which enables you to solve puzzles. It might be a really good game for someone who has never played any of the preceding games in the series. It’s also from ERS, which explains a lot about the repetitive storyline.

I’ve also downloaded the demo for Grim Tales - The Final Suspect, but haven’t had a chance to play it yet.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

By the way, Tom. If you happen to know other casual games with Sci-Fi theme, I would appreciate if you can share them with us or point us to where we can find them. I really need something different from the same old games. I mean, the same old stuff I was talking about above. And I think you will enjoy Beyond. It is a good game with clever puzzles and not much HOs.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The only two I am familiar with, other than the one you mentioned, are Forbidden Secrets - Alien Town and EPIC: Wishmaster. The latter will be hard to find as the developer is no longer in business and BFG stopped selling the game.

Edit: BTW it’s Tim. No need to feel bad. Yours is not the worst guess at what the T in r"T"rooney stands for.  Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I also just finished Grim Tales - The Final Suspect demo.  I’ll be honest. It’s really hard keeping track of this series. Two years ago we were the aunt to a juvenile. Last year we were defending the same person on a murder charge. Except he suddenly became an adult in his mid 20s. Time flies.

Now the sister he was charged with killing is living with you. And you are suspected of murder. Except, at the end of the demo we find out that it was your niece that actually killed the intruder. Can it possibly get any more confusing?

All that said, I think I’m going to buy the game once it’s available as an SE. I’ve played two CE games in this series, and didn’t think much of the bonus material.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Wow!  I just started playing Mad Head’s Maze: Subject 360.  If the rest of the game is like the beginning, this one will definitely be a candidate for a future playthrough.  It already has my adrenealine pumping.  Gasp Thumbs Up

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

They’ve had some good games. The Nevertales - Shattered Image was a really good game. It’s one of those rare occasions were I bought the CE. They also did the Right of Passage games which are also quite good.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Yes, I’ve liked the Mad Head games I’ve played.  Their stories are good, and they go light on the HOPs.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I like Mad Head games as well. The biggest criticism I have is that they use too many cut scenes which to my mind interferes with the pacing and tension.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

EEEK! I missed the three-year anniversary of the Casual Games thread. We should have pulled out the party hats on August 1. Better late than never. Happy Anniversary everyone.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Happy Anniversary, thread. Here’s to many more years of casual gaming goodness!

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Yaaaay!  Heart

Happy Anniversary and many happy returns.

I can’t believe it’s been three years!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top