• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanchrissieKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Cage Match#12 (When Inventions and Discoveries Collide)

Poll: Machinarium vs. The Neverhood
Total Votes: 20
Machinarium
The Neverhood

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

The Neverhood Wins!

Score for the record:-
Machinarium :07
The Neverhood :10

————————————————-

While it sadden my heart to see words like Machinarium doesn’t really look like any other game, except maybe Amanita‘s own previous Samorost series’ at Machinarium review, here, but i still consider, or at least try to convince myself that not all the gamers/reviewers are from the old classic period; to be able to know enough about The Neverhood... I don’t wanna sound biased so, anyways:-

We clearly see that Machinarium is inspired by The Neverhood.
Before the time Amanita Design came forward; The Neverhood was A classic adventure, that has never been duplicated, but when (especially) Machinarium arrived carrying the same spirit of The Neverhood, things have changed, and others like Gomo, Fire, Journey of a Roach ...etc, started follow and flow!.

The distinction is significant for both games; they tell stories (more or less) like independent animations, when most traditionally, adventures are/were some of the most verbal -a heritage owed to the old ones- ...(except for Myst, sequels and clones)

Both are notable for they contain no dialogue(s), most of the puzzles are of logic and environment manipulation type.

Both stories even are almost* similar in a way; surreal worlds with tyranny, being taken over by; The-Black-Cap-Brotherhood(Machinarium) or Klogg(The Neverhood), and about to be completely destroyed.

While The Neverhood is made entirely of/by clay(mation), stop-frame animation, Machinarium is made from detailed hand-drawn artwork, and sketches,  with characters animated by picture-pieces moved like paper dolls, to achieve motion. But they ‘afterall’ are two beautiful animated adventures classics!,  born to live forever, to be always remembered, nevertheless, they are very close to (most of the) adventurers heart.

Ok, enough talking! and…
.. lets push Kalyman and Joseph into the pit!!

‘But wait a sec’, lets have this memorable laugh from those two classics, first.. Wink

Machinarium
The Neverhood

P.S: Both have 4.1/2 stars/score review, here at Adventuregamers.

Image Attachments

KvsJ.jpg

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

what a shame!
at least if Machinarium going to win, then with this score its nuthing more than some shy(ly) win

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I haven’t played either game, so I can’t vote or comment…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

TimovieMan - 04 September 2015 12:18 PM

Or can you?... Of course we already know the answer, as you have already done one of them.

This cage match isn’t even a competition for me, The Neverhood wins hands down.
What with the crazy awesome music, the unique graphics, the great story, and those cut scenes that are so memorable.

Machinarium is a good game, one of Amanita’s best, but it doesn’t have anything on The Neverhood.

FYI The Neverhood does have dialogue in some of the cut scenes, and the the disks you pick up (if you count that). (also the tv guy)

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TimovieMan - 04 September 2015 12:18 PM

well this sounds to my ears as saying, i havent watched ‘Angel Heart’ or ‘The Devil Advocate’, esp* coming from you,Tim.
you try them both.

SpeedBo - 04 September 2015 07:08 PM

This cage match isn’t even a competition for me, The Neverhood wins hands down. .

Machinarium is a good game, one of Amanita’s best, but it doesn’t have anything on The Neverhood

its a competion even if your avatar say differently Speedbo Wink,  i thought you could at leasy be objective, or the least say something like; it just might be an unfair one.
but i had been surprised enough through my time my here, seeing matters (unjustefied) overpowering another, so i become like that saying inquire ‘Jacks complete lack surprise’
Cool

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 05 September 2015 09:28 AM

well this sounds like saying, i havent watched ‘Angel Heart’ or ‘The Devil Advocate’ to me ears, esp* coming from you,Tim.

They’re on my “to play” list. Pretty high, even.
And I own Machinarium already.
Give me some time. Wink
About a decade at the rate I’m going… Shifty Eyed

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I loved Machinarium - a wonderful adventure game - easily got my vote!

Crazy

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I love Machinarium and I find it is greatly superior to The Neverhood (an overrated game in my books). 

My vote goes to robots fo sure!!

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 05 September 2015 09:32 AM
Advie - 05 September 2015 09:28 AM

well this sounds like saying, i havent watched ‘Angel Heart’ or ‘The Devil Advocate’ to me ears, esp* coming from you,Tim.

They’re on my “to play” list. Pretty high, even.
And I own Machinarium already.
Give me some time. Wink
About a decade at the rate I’m going… Shifty Eyed

Let’s have some truth here. If you spend half as much time on adventures as you do on casuals, you would have to write a new sig. It’s not lack of time, it’s your preferences. Nothing wrong with that of course, if casuals are your thing more power to you. Just stop pretending you would be playing classics like TLE or The Neverhood or GK if you had more time.

PS: I voted Neverhood. They’re both great games with great music, but the Neverhood will always be the better one for me. Deeper too, or should I say more ambitious.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 08 September 2015 01:46 PM

Let’s have some truth here. If you spend half as much time on adventures as you do on casuals, you would have to write a new sig. It’s not lack of time, it’s your preferences. Nothing wrong with that of course, if casuals are your thing more power to you. Just stop pretending you would be playing classics like TLE or The Neverhood or GK if you had more time.

ALL of those casuals are Community Playthroughs. And about one a month is actually not that much. The regular AG CPTs are about one every two months. Given their length, that means I spend AS MUCH TIME on adventures as on casuals. I get more enjoyment out of a game as a community playthrough than going through it alone, so if you want to blame my preferences, blame my preference for CPTs, not casuals.
However, given that I spend about 20 hours per month on CPTs, and simply lack the time to play anything MORE than that, then yeah, lack of time IS the problem.

More proof? In 2005 I saw 108 movies in cinema and about 500 total. This year, I’ve seen 2 in cinema and about 10 total. My nick is TiMOVIEMan…

A preference for CPTs is part of the reason, but lack of time is the main issue…

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Well, when you do find time for Machinearium - you have a real treat in store. I’d love to see this game be a CPT - that would be fun.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 08 September 2015 04:42 PM

ALL of those casuals are Community Playthroughs. And about one a month is actually not that much. The regular AG CPTs are about one every two months. Given their length, that means I spend AS MUCH TIME on adventures as on casuals. I get more enjoyment out of a game as a community playthrough than going through it alone, so if you want to blame my preferences, blame my preference for CPTs, not casuals.

Okay, I’ll blame your preference for CPTs.

I see 10 casuals among the recently finished games in your sig. So that’s 10 months of casual CPs = 100 hours. In those 100 hours you could have played 5, 6, 7 adventures. Or watched 50 movies.  Again, I’m not saying you should. But the next-in-line part of you sig hasn’t changed in four or five years.

However, given that I spend about 20 hours per month on CPTs, and simply lack the time to play anything MORE than that, then yeah, lack of time IS the problem.

You think I usually spend more than 20 hours a month on playing adventures? Well, to be fair, I did during my AGSotD year. Played a load of recent ones. But in the three months since then I have played Sunset (short), the new King’s Quest (long for me), Her Story (very short), Shades of Black (short), TimeQuest (replay) and Spellcasting 201 (long). That doesn’t add up to 60 hours.

A preference for CPTs is part of the reason, but lack of time is the main issue…

Yeah, you got married and now you have kids. Life has changed forever. Free time was a commodity and now it’s precious. I bet you wouldn’t have it any other way. Smile

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

An escaped convict?? Oh my god, how exciting! Where, where…?

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Karlok - 09 September 2015 04:41 AM

An escaped convict?? Oh my god, how exciting! Where, where…?

i would say ‘look behind you, a…’ but then I’d sound too Clichéd to me ears Sarcastic

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Mikekelly - 08 September 2015 11:52 PM

Well, when you do find time for Machinearium - you have a real treat in store. I’d love to see this game be a CPT - that would be fun.

Heart

Well, Machinarium is higher on my list of games to play than The Neverhood, and it interests me more. Maybe I should vote for it anyway? Tongue

Karlok - 09 September 2015 04:22 AM

Okay, I’ll blame your preference for CPTs.

No disagreement there. It has made me play some classics too, though. Without the CPTs, I wouldn’t have (yet) played Callahan’s, Obsidian, The Cat Lady, Toonstruck, etc. so it’s not a bad thing.

But the next-in-line part of you sig hasn’t changed in four or five years.

In two years, actually. GK1 was two years ago. And then Zoë was born.

Yeah, you got married and now you have kids. Life has changed forever. Free time was a commodity and now it’s precious. I bet you wouldn’t have it any other way. Smile

Well, I wouldn’t want to cut back on time with the family, no. So the only options left are cutting back on sleep or work. Tongue

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top