• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Ace Attorney 6

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Maya trailer

It’s an english trailer showing the characters and voices

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Game is coming out in September 8th

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

And it’s out!

EDIT: I had forgotten how much I loathed the 3DS eshop. Ugh.  Sick

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Wanted to post in this thread to let you guys know it was out. Unfortunately wasnt able to find this thread.

My backlog of ace attorney games are now:
-Ace Attorney investigations 2
-Ace Attorney 5
-And now this game.

Great. =)

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

3DS doesn’t seem to like public internet connections and now I can’t download the game until I get home Frown

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Remember when this was the silliest a witness would get? I’m not even done with the first case and I’m already fed up with all the theatrics. This is going to be one looooong game…

(At least they give us the option to fast-forward through the dialogue the first time around. That helps a bit.)

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Yissss! Downloading now. Here’s to global release dates!

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Kurufinwe - 08 September 2016 06:35 PM

Remember when this was the silliest a witness would get? I’m not even done with the first case and I’m already fed up with all the theatrics. This is going to be one looooong game…

(At least they give us the option to fast-forward through the dialogue the first time around. That helps a bit.)

i agree with you. it does feel as if the franchise has become less grounded as it progressed. But as long as the murder mysteries are well plotted with good twists i have no serious qualms.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I finished the first case, had some funny bits but was mostly a drag. The new gameplay mechanic was gone all too fast and everything else felt very familiar.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

It gets better. (Except case 4; that one’s a total dud.)

(I’m almost done with the game. I’ll post more thoughts when I am.)

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Done with the game. (Not counting the DLC, obviously; the “real” DLC case releases in a couple of weeks.)

Pleasantly surprised, after a rough start (I did not like the first case, which really dragged).

The Khura’in storyline was particularly strong, and went into interesting directions. While it had its usual quota of sappy family stories, with half a dozen people accusing themselves of crimes they didn’t commit to protect a loved one, the game also built a relentless and powerful case for the rule of law against the dangers of summary justice, bigotry and cronyism. That’s not something I expected, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

(However, Capcom: Can we get into the 21st century and not have a damsel-in-distress in almost every case???)

As usual for the series, the final case is probably a bit too long. This is particularly noticeable here since it has two (almost entirely distinct) parts, the first of which is like a normal case and the second of which is like a very-supersized case. Still, the story is strong and the antagonist is fearsome—(MAJOR SPOILERS) at least until she changes out of her imposing white robes and turns into some ridiculous Disney villain. The battle is epic and the victory (against all odds, as you’d expect) feels very satisfying.

Apollo is still the series’ weak link. For the third game in a row, the final case is deeply connected to his past, and yet I find myself unable to care about him. His personality is just too close to Phoenix’s for him to feel like more than a cheap knock-off. Things happen at the end that may or may not resolve that problem in the future. (Hopefully they will, by leaving him out of the series, at least for a while.)

In terms of gameplay, the game was also pretty strong. Cases 2, 3 and 5 were suitably twisty, kept me guessing, and managed to surprise me a few times. The new “Insight” mechanic, which allows you to see the victim’s last moments through their eyes and challenges you to interpret those visions properly, felt fresh and interesting, especially in the later cases where it was allowed to show its full depth.

However, the Ace Attorney series badly needs to start trimming things. While the Khura’in storyline was strong, the game also felt the need to service lots of characters and ongoing plotlines that had nothing to do with it: Trucy’s magic career, the Gamaryes, Prosecutor Blackquill, an Edgeworth cameo, etc. This just weakened the main story for no particular reason. This was particularly bad in case 4, which completely destroyed the momentum built by case 3’s exciting ending and seemed to exist only to give Athena something to do. (It didn’t help that case 4 is also very Japan-centric and felt very hard to follow for someone unfamiliar with the culture.) Maya had been benched since AA3, and it was a joy to finally see her again in a major role; I think that’s how the series should deal with many of its other characters, rather than trying to bring them back for 5 minutes in every episode.

Likewise, there are too many mechanics. I like that the series introduces new ones now and then, but it shouldn’t try to bring all of them back every time, lest it start feeling like Assassin’s Creed 25. Here, we have the basics (cross-examination and investigation) and the new Insight mechanic, but the game also brings back psyche-locks, Apollo’s perceive Sick , forensics, video analysis and Athena’s analytical psychology. That’s just too much and makes the game feel like it lacks focus. Like characters, they need to start rotating mechanics rather than try to bring them all back every time.

Overall, this was a pretty good game. Its lows (cases 1 and 4) were lower than AA5’s, but its highs (esp. cases 3 and 5) were also quite a bit higher. I finished AA5 feeling that maybe the series had nothing new to say; AA6 has renewed my love for it—as long as it tones down the returning storylines and mechanics in the future.

4/5

(How did this quick post turn into a full-blown review???)

P.S.: Datz for Emperor of Khura’in!!! That guy’s awesome.  Grin Grin Grin

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Great! Thanks for the review, that’s reassuring

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Thanks for review. So they adjusted the official spelling for Kurain into Kura’in?

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Origami - 17 September 2016 03:48 PM

Thanks for review. So they adjusted the official spelling for Kurain into Kura’in?

No. Kurain is Maya’s village in Japan the US. Khura’in is some Nepal-like kingdom in Asia. The spirit medium tradition in Kurain was brought there by Khura’inese immigrants (led by Ami Fey, cf. AA2) 200(?) years ago.

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Kurufinwe - 17 September 2016 03:57 PM
Origami - 17 September 2016 03:48 PM

No. Kurain is Maya’s village in Japan the US. Khura’in is some Nepal-like kingdom in Asia. The spirit medium tradition in Kurain was brought there by Khura’inese immigrants (led by Ami Fey, cf. AA2) 200(?) years ago.

Holy @*#& talk about convoluted.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top