• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady Kestrelluckyloserwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Game Playthrough #12 - Surface: The Noise She Couldn’t Make

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I only vaguely remember the game. I’ve only played it once before, and that was quite some time ago. So I really had no idea what I was supposed to do.

The day one gameplay took me about two hours to complete. Even though it is the weekend, I would wait for people to report back when they’ve finished. Depending on how much time people are willing to spend on this, you may need to postpone the beginning of the next episode until Monday. I usually tried to fit one hour of gameplay per two-day session. That didn’t always work either, so play it by ear. Smile

I like the game so far. The HO scenes are fairly easy, as you said they would be. I like the way the inventory is working. I.e., you find you need a windup key in the Dollhouse, but you actually find it in the bottom of the ship.

I’m a little put off by the interactive map. It tells you where something needs to be done, but it tells you that even if you don’t currently have the item(s) to perform the task. For that, you need to use the Hint button. A little confusing, but I muddled through.

BTW, there’s a 6-hour time difference between Chicago and London. If London is where AG time is located, I would have needed to finish by 4:00PM to meet the deadline.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 29 August 2015 04:13 PM

I only vaguely remember the game. I’ve only played it once before, and that was quite some time ago. So I really had no idea what I was supposed to do.

The day one gameplay took me about two hours to complete. Even though it is the weekend, I would wait for people to report back when they’ve finished. Depending on how much time people are willing to spend on this, you may need to postpone the beginning of the next episode until Monday. I usually tried to fit one hour of gameplay per two-day session. That didn’t always work either, so play it by ear. Smile

I like the game so far. The HO scenes are fairly easy, as you said they would be. I like the way the inventory is working. I.e., you find you need a windup key in the Dollhouse, but you actually find it in the bottom of the ship.

I’m a little put off by the interactive map. It tells you where something needs to be done, but it tells you that even if you don’t currently have the item(s) to perform the task. For that, you need to use the Hint button. A little confusing, but I muddled through.

BTW, there’s a 6-hour time difference between Chicago and London. If London is where AG time is located, I would have needed to finish by 4:00PM to meet the deadline.

I think I’m 1 hour ahead as compared to that in AG so around 5pm for you Tim should do it (I hope!)!

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I reached the scene that Tim posted but didn’t really notice a chapter division.  What should I have been looking for?

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2015-08-27

PM

Lady Kestrel - 29 August 2015 08:38 PM

I reached the scene that Tim posted but didn’t really notice a chapter division.  What should I have been looking for?

I was judging by how much of the map had been filled in and checked off. Right before arriving at the scene Tim posted, there was only one area of the map left without a check mark. Once you get to that scene, if you look at the map, it’s a whole new one with lots of blank spaces and no check marks.

I like it so far. The HO scenes are pretty easy, but that’s nice because they’re not annoying or frustrating. I like that it lets you know when you’re finished with an area. Also the solutions are very straight forward; I didn’t need to use a hint once. It definitely doesn’t have the “use every item every where” issue.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Reached the second part. Took me a lot longer than the two hours that were mentioned. Made me recheck Tim’s screenshot a couple of times just to make sure I wasn’t advancing too far. Maybe I’m just slow?

Haven’t felt the need to randomly click on every item that could be on the list without actually checking the list first during the HO scenes, so that’s a plus. Haven’t had the urge to take a hint either (I’m playing on Advanced, btw).
I’m liking the game. Story and concept are intriguing and the puzzles are pretty good. A lot of backtracking (or moving back and forth between locations), but the map helps to take the tediousness of this away. Not a great deal of difficulty so far, though. Every time you find an object, you either immediately know where/how to use it, or it’ll become clear soon enough.

I like the use of FMV (heck, I’ve always liked FMV, even bad FMV), but the acting of the nurse is pretty horrible. Not that I mind so much, though.

Any idea what happens when Noise wins and takes over? Does our Jane Doe die then, and if so doesn’t Noise disappear as well? Or does it mean a full takeover where Jane effectively *becomes* Noise (and instantly heals completely)?
Also, who is Noise? Is she an outside entity, or - as is hinted at in-game - a split personality that wants to take over? How did she become a part of Jane? The game suggests the cause to be a childhoood(?) trauma. Very wild guess here, but I’m actually thinking along the lines of “Jane has a twin sister who died when they were children. The grief over the loss resulted in a split personality with Noise being an aggressive representation of the dead twin, who became ever more evil and ambitious about taking over as time went on. I’m most likely dead wrong, though. Tongue Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m a good ways into the first chapter. I like the surreal world and the odd logic for some of the inventory puzzles, which works with the exploring-Jane-Doe’s-mind theme and the weird juxtapositions in the surroundings. They’re doing a good job setting up the story, too. And the mini-games are pretty tasty.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Most difficult puzzle so far was the one with the magnets and the diamonds. Took me a good long while to get right…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Sorry Lady Kestrel, that was an error on my part as I thought the chapter divisions were more distinctive! If you’ve reached the scene that Tim posted stop there as it’s the beginning of chapter 2 - you’ve cured Jane Doe’s fever but her heart has stopped.

I’d forgotten how long the 1st chapter was so in view of that I’ll take Tim’s advice & extend the time until 5pm tomorrow (that’s about 10am in Chicago I think?) - so I hope for anyone that has kept up you don’t mind waiting!    Smile

EDIT: That should I think be 12pm in Chicago!

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

TimovieMan - 30 August 2015 11:28 AM

Most difficult puzzle so far was the one with the magnets and the diamonds. Took me a good long while to get right…

I remember it being very fussy the first time I played this.  This time I just plopped the magnets in the most likely places, wiggled them a bit, and, much to my astonishment, solved it in about 3 minutes.  Smile

The game reminds me of Trauma a bit but with more defined puzzles. 

Oh, and yes, the nurse it a bit over the top.  I remember thinking to myself that maybe she should call the doctor if she’s feeling so overwhelmed.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 29 August 2015 03:38 PM

(Please bear with me as it’s my 1st time of leading & I feel completely out of my comfort zone!  Smile )

Imagine my quandary when we decided that a CCPT was a good idea. The first game was Angelica Weaver, which I volunteered to lead. It was the first CCPT. In my mind the future of the idea depended on this coming off really well. And I didn’t have a clue how to post screenshots to this forum. I think that qualifies as pressure. It all worked out. Here we are in CCPT #12. You’re doing great.

And you’ve witnessed first-hand my trying to get a casual into the AGSotD rotation. It seems to be going well too. Again. you’re doing great.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Just finished the first chapter. I’m enjoying the playthrough—I’m surprised at how much seems new since the last time I played it. Maybe a less-than-perfectly-sharp memory is actually a good thing!

Timm and Lady K—that magnet puzzle is one that I do remember, and the second time around, like Lady K, it went much faster for me.  Not sure why. I also liked the animated jigsaw.

Oosaji—I agree that it’s good to know when an area is complete.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thank you Tim for the words of encouragement!  The trick is definitely to be ahead which I confess to not having the time to do when I started the playthrough &......

Becky - 31 August 2015 08:59 AM

—I’m surprised at how much seems new since the last time I played it. Maybe a less-than-perfectly-sharp memory is actually a good thing!

........but unfortunately not in my case despite having already played the game twice!

oosaji - 30 August 2015 05:24 AM

I was judging by how much of the map had been filled in and checked off. Right before arriving at the scene Tim posted, there was only one area of the map left without a check mark. Once you get to that scene, if you look at the map, it’s a whole new one with lots of blank spaces and no check marks.

That’s a great tip oosaji as I never thought to use the map!

TimovieMan - 30 August 2015 09:02 AM

I’m liking the game. Story and concept are intriguing and the puzzles are pretty good. A lot of backtracking (or moving back and forth between locations), but the map helps to take the tediousness of this away. ...

.....I like the use of FMV (heck, I’ve always liked FMV, even bad FMV), but the acting of the nurse is pretty horrible. Not that I mind so much, though.

Lady Kestrel - 30 August 2015 04:32 PM

Oh, and yes, the nurse it a bit over the top.  I remember thinking to myself that maybe she should call the doctor if she’s feeling so overwhelmed.

I can assure you that the acting of the nurse is quite tame compared to some of that in the following Surface games!

TimovieMan - 30 August 2015 09:02 AM

Any idea what happens when Noise wins and takes over? Does our Jane Doe die then, and if so doesn’t Noise disappear as well? Or does it mean a full takeover where Jane effectively *becomes* Noise (and instantly heals completely)?
Also, who is Noise? Is she an outside entity, or - as is hinted at in-game - a split personality that wants to take over? How did she become a part of Jane? The game suggests the cause to be a childhoood(?) trauma. Very wild guess here, but I’m actually thinking along the lines of “Jane has a twin sister who died when they were children. The grief over the loss resulted in a split personality with Noise being an aggressive representation of the dead twin, who became ever more evil and ambitious about taking over as time went on. I’m most likely dead wrong, though. Tongue Grin

Some interesting theories there Tim but I found it difficult to know at this point whether Jane does have a split personality as you as the psychic perceives or that there’s more of a horror/supernatural aspect to be revealed.

Becky - 31 August 2015 08:59 AM

Timm and Lady K—that magnet puzzle is one that I do remember, and the second time around, like Lady K, it went much faster for me.  Not sure why. I also liked the animated jigsaw.

This magnet puzzle is one I just didn’t like but unfortunately the developers of the game did…...  but I did like the jigsaw puzzle!

Becky - 30 August 2015 10:21 AM

I’m a good ways into the first chapter. I like the surreal world and the odd logic for some of the inventory puzzles, which works with the exploring-Jane-Doe’s-mind theme and the weird juxtapositions in the surroundings. They’re doing a good job setting up the story, too. And the mini-games are pretty tasty.

Yes! When I originally played the game I loved the premise of delving into the weird & ‘wonderful’ world of someone’s mind & so far despite the logic seeming odd it’s not so wacky that you can’t work it out!

I’ve enjoyed reading the comments so far & will be back in a couple of hours with some screenshots of this chapter & to start the next one!

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Okay, by the end of Chapter 1 we have alleviated Jane’s fever portrayed in her mind as her being on fire, discovered some locations on the outskirts of ‘her’ town which include a doll’s house & an abandoned ship before gaining access to the town which contains some locked doors needed to be passed to discover a little more about Jane.
Also here we discover that there is an entity portrayed as a young woman dressed in a black Victorian silk dress who is referred to as ‘Noise’. Is she, as you as the psychic thinks, the alter ego of Jane’s split personality? or is she something else? 
It is apparent in this chapter that Jane has some mental issues that she’s bottled up & doesn’t feel able to share with anyone.

To conclude the chapter here are a few screenshots hopefully not too spoilerish for anyone that hasn’t completed so far!

Chapter 2:  Respiratory

This chapter starts of where we got to after the last & the goal of this one is to try & get Jane to breathe on her own as well as trying to discover more about her

I found this chapter as long as the 1st & a little more challenging so you have until Wednesday 2nd September 9 pm to complete it (I think that’s about 4 pm for you Tim? - somewhere around there?)
NB Sorry if I don’t post at exact times but I try to get as near as poss!

Play until you get to the following scene:

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2015-08-27

PM

Finished! This time I had to use a couple hints. Did anyone else find it was really unclear that you could use the spider to get the car key? That’s what I got stuck on. I hadn’t noticed that there was anything on that door other than the piece with the four gold spiders. Did anyone else miss that? ><

Looks like we’re figuring out Noise a little more! It definitely sounds like a psychological thing rather than a paranormal thing now.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I really like the nurse, cheesy acting and all. She provides a bit of balance to the seriousness of the rest of it.

I also had trouble (again) finding the second hotspot on the mill door. I must be a slow learner. The iron spider mechanism is awesome though; I want one.

I’m a bit troubled by drilling on the fuel tank of the car. It would probably be petrol and not diesel right? I think we’re in trouble!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top