• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The 13th Doll KS (now a semi-official sequel to The 7th Guest!)

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2015-07-29

PM

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64161490/the-13th-doll-a-fan-game-of-the-7th-guest

This is a fan-made sequel to the original game, The 7th Guest.

Sorry if this is a bit “spammy”, but I would really like this project to succeed as I am a fan of the original games and followed the development of this project for quite some time (almost 6 or 7 years I believe).

But what I think is REALLY cool, is that they have struck a deal with Trilobyte (the developers of the original) that not only allows them to make the game, but also market and sell the game commercially as well. I don’t think anything like that has ever happened, they only need $40000 to make it a reality and I really think they deserve it.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Let’s move this over to the ‘Adventure’ part of the forum. Wink

Wow, they’re already over a third of the way there. This one’s going to succeed, imo. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2015-07-29

PM

Thanks TimovieMan, I wasn’t sure where to post it as I didn’t want to come off like some kind of obnoxious spambot. I’m just hoping to contribute to spreading the word and helping them in some small way.

They are definitely on par so far Grin .. although it’s not blowing any records at least it has a better chance of succeeding that The Collector did. :x

Cheers!

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2003-12-26

PM

Wasn’t “The 11th Hour” the sequel to “The 7th Guest”?
It’s pretty weird that the kickstarter doesn’t mention it and even says “For years, we waited for a sequel. Several attempts were made, but alas, none were successful”

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

IO’m not interested about the game itself as I don’t like 7th Guest, but It’ll be amusing if you succeed in the KS where Trilobyte originally badly failed.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2003-09-15

PM

Haha that’s awesome. I used to be the Project Manager on the 13th Doll.

Until the volunteers got upset that I expected them do to things, and was put in a position of not being able to actually do my job.

Hope you guys are doing better now.

~Daunting Echo. (Old Crew)

Joined 2015-07-29

PM

Matan - 30 July 2015 03:20 AM

Wasn’t “The 11th Hour” the sequel to “The 7th Guest”?
It’s pretty weird that the kickstarter doesn’t mention it and even says “For years, we waited for a sequel. Several attempts were made, but alas, none were successful”

I’m not sure if its explicitly stated in the KS, but 13D is set in a time period inbetween T7G and 11H and is based on the aftermath of the main character from T7G. So technically it is a direct sequel to T7G, making it T7G 1.5 if you want.

Although Trilobyte and Rob Landeros have allowed it to be made and given it support, the developers of 13D are stressing that it is not considered “canon” for the T7G lore. Though, the T7G lore is shrouded in mystery and obscurity anyway .. so its an easy “immersive transition” .. in my opinion.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Not to mention that The 11th Hour was not on par with The 7th Guest…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

It’s an interesting project, but I wish you guys focused a bit more on the gameplay. I understand that it’s no longer node-based (thank god), but I don’t understand what your puzzle “ideal” is, so to speak.

In T7G, you had “rearranging the soup cans”, the microscope puzzle, the flip puzzle and others. In T11H there were also the scavenger hunts and the rat-maze puzzle.
Do you consider any of the above “bad” puzzles? What about a maze for which there’s no map in the house?

I’m just not sure about your design philosophy. Just knowing there are 26 puzzles doesn’t tell me enough about whether I’ll enjoy them or not.

Joined 2015-07-29

PM

Antrax - 30 July 2015 11:58 PM

It’s an interesting project, but I wish you guys focused a bit more on the gameplay. I understand that it’s no longer node-based (thank god), but I don’t understand what your puzzle “ideal” is, so to speak.

In T7G, you had “rearranging the soup cans”, the microscope puzzle, the flip puzzle and others. In T11H there were also the scavenger hunts and the rat-maze puzzle.
Do you consider any of the above “bad” puzzles? What about a maze for which there’s no map in the house?

I’m just not sure about your design philosophy. Just knowing there are 26 puzzles doesn’t tell me enough about whether I’ll enjoy them or not.

Well this remains to be seen, unfortunately if they were to tell us what the puzzles were exactly I think it would spoil the surprise. But according to the KS there are “card tricks, pathfinding and chess challenges, or even artificial intelligence puzzles versus Henry Stauf himself!.”

IMO, of the ones you listed the only one I really see as “bad” is the can’s puzzle .. but a lot of that has more to do with the slow animation process of that particular puzzle that makes it frustrating. The rest of them I enjoy or are at least “ok” with.

I personally really enjoy the Microscope Puzzle, I just wish it actually rewarded you with anything more than just bragging rights.

I don’t know why you said “A maze for which there is no map in the house”, because the maze from T7G did have a map in the house, its in one of the up-stairs bedrooms on the rug on the floor.

I think it’s safe to say that a number of the puzzles in 13D would involve logic based solutions and you can bet there would be a Chess puzzle of some kind or two.

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2010-04-17

PM

It looks like it will get funded but I can’t see it going much over the $40K. I am backing it even though I didn’t like 7th Guest. I did follow the previous kickstarter but like others withdrew my interest when the insults started flying.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

New announcement trailer for 13th Doll.

Looks like a decent version.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top