• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Friday 3 July

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Casual Friday

For reasons unknown I was unable to do a screen capture for this game, Calavera - Day of the Dead. So I borrowed one from BFG.

There is an obvious reason to think that this might be related to Grim Fandango. But you would be wrong. In this scenario our Manny made a deal with the father of a snake-bitten girl. She was dying. But Manny offered her father fifteen more years of her life in exchange for her soul. She was five at the time of the bite. She’s now twenty and engaged.

Our protagonist, her fiance, must find a way to negate the contract.

The person in the above scene is known as The Vendor. He is the one that will give you things you need. In exchange for money, of course. And, in the end, he will give you a way to buy your, and your beloved’s way out of this Hell Hole.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

So storywise it’s really more Hurley/LeMans - Day of the Dead? Tongue

No Aztec influences, no calaca-like figures?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 03 July 2015 06:41 AM

No Aztec influences, no calaca-like figures?

They are everywhere. Including dogs and cats. Cool

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i really have no idea what am i missing as i never played any casual AG, maybe its some kind anxiety disorder i gained through the years,  to neglect anything or any AG has this word sticking to it,  though i consider myself a very casual man,  in all meaning Grin.

but the question that has been pushing itself nowadays into my head,  why games like those (i dont speak of) arent given this describtion,  maybe i am not very familiar with casual AGs, so i dont really know its rules but i am kinda certain that those (i dont speak of) do not belong to the genre or it sub categories, unless interactive movies are one of the main pillars of the genre,  which brings to my mind that casual AGs might be more interactive, but again if so, then why there are no big casual AGs to be seen around.

sorry if this post is kinda confusing but i only speak my mind toward some certain trades with the genre, that i think i am not completely aware of its whole picture.

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

Advie - 03 July 2015 02:18 PM

why there are no big casual AGs to be seen around.

The Mystery Case Files series is pretty “big” in terms of production value, you should try it, especially (Return to) Ravenhearst and Dire Grove.

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie, you should join a casual community playthrough.

I only knew casuals as a series of HOGs with a poor pretense of a story to link them. That changed rapidly after the casual CPTs and learning of some *good* casuals.
You should try the Drawn trilogy or both Enigmatis games (especially the second one). It will change your mind about them. You’ll see that they are more than a collection of HOGs and really are “adventure-lite”.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I would also add something that TimovieMan said in the AGSotD thread. And that is the fact that more games are produced in the Casual Games genre than in any other AG genre. Now I know that not all games are good. But neither are all games produced in any other genre, including “pure” AG. You should give a CCPT a try.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Advie - 03 July 2015 02:18 PM

but the question that has been pushing itself nowadays into my head,  why games like those (i dont speak of) arent given this describtion,  maybe i am not very familiar with casual AGs, so i dont really know its rules but i am kinda certain that those (i dont speak of) do not belong to the genre or it sub categories, unless interactive movies are one of the main pillars of the genre,  which brings to my mind that casual AGs might be more interactive, but again if so, then why there are no big casual AGs to be seen around.

There are actually a very large difference between those games that you do not speak of and casuals. That is assuming that those games you do not speak of is those games that I am thinking about Wink

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top