• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

gabriel knight 1 vs Broken sword 1 wich one I think is better

Total Posts: 1623

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Advie - 02 July 2015 12:24 PM
chrissie - 01 July 2015 01:52 PM

(Advie - where are you? as we need a Cage Match now! Laughing)

i am here chrissie, and i think this is a cage match already on its own,  tho its not at the same formula, but i reckon it could be more constructive by not demanding a winner here,  at the end.

also i would like to mention that i had had similiar pair ready to be given with one of the next matches, but from a total different prespective; Broken Sword5 Vs Broken Age,  two fair ags came recently outta two classic devs, after going through two successful kickstarters.

as for this current match i choose Gk1, BS would win in my book if the comparison was for BS2 instead of BS1.

wow your one of the few that really like bs2 I also loved bs2 besides the ending which was a letdown to me, it was somewhat anti climatic. I remember when it came out a lot of folks hating bs2, it seems it has aged well and now remembered more fondly. I also really like the director’s cut of bs2 a lot.

yeah not really demanding a winner bc to me there is not right or wrong answer here, and both games are very very similar in puzzle design, characters and structure. the one thing that bothers me a little is fans of gk1 say look at all the research jane did on voodoo to make it more authentic (which obviously she did do a lot) but, I feel like charles did the same amount of research on bs1, but it is never really mentioned. maybe its bc voodoo is generally a less known thing than say knights, templars and the crusades.

by the way can some of yall give me honest opinions on gabriel knight 2, I know some call it the best in the series but I have never liked fmv besides wing commander 3 and wing commander 4. fyi wing commander 4 is my favorite game of all time.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

p.s. Advie what were your general thoughts on broken sword 5, I feel like I liked it a lot more than most people, I thought episode 1 in particular was great and on par with broken sword 1 and 2. I will admit the momentum died of in ep. 2 some but, overall it was a pretty great adventure game. to me it was one of the few times I thought a kickstarter campaign actually delivered.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

its a B+ AG in my book, but strictly looking at it as a whole one game.

i think instead of BA it seemed more solid and well planned from start.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Advie - 02 July 2015 02:06 PM

its a B+ AG in my book, but strictly looking at it as a whole one game.

i think instead of BA it seemed more solid and well planned from start.

I have not played broken age yet I didnt really care for the trailers, the story didnt really interest me from those.

As far as bs5, I only played it as one full game, and even then its obvious when the first ep ended and the second begin. we think alike on the subject I wrote a review for broken sword 5 and gave it an 8.5. The first chapter of the game I thought set up the story and villains great. the 2nd part just didnt deliver especially on the side of the villains they seemed really underdeveloped by the end of the game.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I also think that Broken Sword 2 is the best in the series so the first Gabriel Knight wins this battle in my book.

I actually hold the entire GK-series higher since all three games are great and the BS-games are more uneven qualitywise IMO. I also rate Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis higher than any of the BS-games. The Serpent’s Curse was really good though, in some aspects even better than the first one.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I liked Gabriel Knight 1 MUCH better than Broken Sword 1
(despite all the problems I had with the mummies in the snake mound).

In Broken Sword 1, George had this annoying habit of insulting people he needed information from, so they’d stop talking with him.
I guess it was supposed to be funny, but I didn’t think his corny insults were funny at all. I don’t know if it had anything to do with the order I did things in or not, but I ran into some sort of dead end because of George’s big mouth. After methodically trying every possible action in every accessible location, I gave up trying on my own and checked several walkthroughs (and UHS Hints) to see if I was missing anything. They all said I should go to such-and-such place—and that the option for travelling there would open up after talking to this guy. Only the guy wouldn’t talk to George any more because George had felt the need to mouth off and insult him. I’d done everything else the walkthroughs mentioned up to that point. Everything beyond that required going to the place I couldn’t get to.

I ended up going back to an old save and following a walkthrough that warned about what conversation options to use to avoid George’s insults. I followed that walkthrough step-by-step in order to reach the end of the game. It certainly wasn’t the optimal way to play, but I no longer trusted the game. Hours of gameplay time wasted because of George’s big mouth and unfunny insults. Even if I hadn’t encountered that dead end, I’d have enjoyed the game much more if George hadn’t been such a smartass. He seemed to be less of a smartass in Broken Sword 2, but I didn’t think the locations you visited in Broken Sword 2 were as interesting as in Broken Sword 1.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I prefer Nico over George because yes, George is obnoxiously American. I know not all Americans are like that, he’s just made the stereotype. Nico’s sass is just more enjoyable. But I don’t hate George by any means and he does tone it down, maybe he actually learns something.

I am really into Aztec mythology as well, I don’t think they lose to Templars. But some of the roaming around in the jungles just wasn’t fun anymore. Other than that, BM2 was an enjoyable and interesting game.

Gabriel Knight is actually a lovable jerk, and also a hot one. And I think Jensen does have a great grasp of building a supernatural mystery. I don’t believe in supernatural IRL but I can enjoy it immensely in entertainment.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 5814

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Advie - 02 July 2015 12:24 PM
chrissie - 01 July 2015 01:52 PM

(Advie - where are you? as we need a Cage Match now! :])

i am here chrissie, and i think this is a cage match already on its own,  tho its not at the same formula, but i reckon it could be more constructive by not demanding a winner here,  at the end.

also i would like to mention that i had had similiar pair ready to be given with one of the next matches, but from a total different prespective; Broken Sword5 Vs Broken Age,  two fair ags came recently outta two classic devs, after going through two successful kickstarters.

as for this current match i choose Gk1, BS would win in my book if the comparison was for BS2 instead of BS1.

No, both games are great classics in their own right although players have their preferences. It’s interesting to know that you preferred BS2 as after playing BS1 it took me a couple of years to track down BS2 & was so over the moon when I finally got to play it & to this day am so baffled as to why it’s thought to be the inferior game as for me it was just more joy at getting more of the same!

I thought BS5 was wonderful given that the budget was much lower but it would win in a cage match for me - Broken Age I guess is a very good game but doesn’t appeal because of the ‘twee’ graphics! I don’t want to play games that look like they’re made for kids & there are far too many developers presenting their games like that!

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I have said that I think broken sword 5 is one of the few kickstarter games that really delivered on promises and delivered on the promises in a prompt and timely manner

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top