• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophyceanchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

gabriel knight 1 vs Broken sword 1 wich one I think is better

Total Posts: 1620

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Hello I am new here and have been an adventure game fan for a long long time. I recently finally finished a classic in GK1. I had it yrs ago but never beat it due to computer failure. I had gotten to the clock puzzle in like day 3 I think. Well I recently just beat the remake of it and I must say I really enjoyed it immensely. My favorite adventure game of all time is broken sword 1 and I thought it would be fun to compare the two games for my first post bc the games are similar in a lot of ways, such as the dialogue driven puzzles, the story starting off as a murder mystery, and having lovable male leads.  I will be comparing both the original and remake of GK to BS. I will also be comparing the original GK to its remake. I think this goes without saying but there will be SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Story- Both GK and BS have wonderful stories, that start out relatively small but grow bigger and bigger as you go down the rabbit hole. I love where both stories go and actually find both of the stories to be even. you can tell both Jane and Charles did enormous amounts of research for their games, to create a story that does seemed based in reality. both stories are a 10/10 to me

Characters- Once again both games have a lot of interesting and colorful characters. The two leads are different but a lot alike in different ways. Sure Gabriel is much more of a womanizer but both characters rely on their intelligence, gut, and intuition to solve their cases. The two female leads in Grace, and Nico are also very similar in that they are smart, funny,capable and dont need constant saving. In fact I would say Nico and Grace are two of the best written female video game characters in all of gaming along with Alyx from the half life games. In this category it comes down to supporting cast and I have to say Gabriel Knight takes it for me, bc I found all the supporting characters to be interesting from mosely, to grandma, to Dr John. The supporting cast for BS1 is good but not great with a lot of the characters being annoying to me.

Voice Actors- Im guessing most people will assume that I will pick Gabriel Knight bc of the games all star cast in Curry, Hamill, and Remini, well you would be wrong lol. I like the original cast of Gk but as a true southerner I can tell you that Curry’s southern accent is over the top and too cheesy. Plus he slips in and out of the accent at will especially when he screams NO!!!. In fact I prefer the Va actor from the GK remake. in my opinion 90 percent of the actors are just as good as the original actors for GK, I think nostalgia clouds some judgement here. But that doesnt really matter either way bc Rolf Saxon who plays George in all the broken sword games is far superior to any Voice actor in GK. He really brings the character of george alive with his wit, charm, and charisma. So I have to give it to broken sword here.

Dialogue- Since both game feature heavy dialogue I figured it should have its own category, both games are well written for the most part but I do have some problems with both games too. for instance I think broken sword tries to be too funny sometimes and misses more jokes than it lands. And as far as GK goes some characters are written too one dimensional. Spoiler incoming….... For instance you dont have to be sherlock holmes to realize that Dr John is a bad guy. I figured that much out on day one and its not bc of the voice actor but bc of the dialogue that is written. For the most part though GK is written better than BS so this category goes to Gk.

Setting and atmosphere- Once again both games are great when it comes to setting. I love Jane’s interpretation of New Orleans, this is especially true in the original, with its dark and brooding atmosphere. Broken Sword as a whole has a lot more cheerful atmosphere and setting. One reason I prefer Broken Sword’s setting is bc you just go to more places, I love Paris but, Ireland, and Spain are also both gorgeous locations as well. You get to travel in GK as well but dont get to spend too much time in these new locations as you spend most of the game in New Orleans, I would have loved to spend another day in germany in GK. Once again I have to barely go with Broken Sword here.

Puzzles- Aw the Crux of any adventure game the puzzles, Once again both games feature some good puzzles and some bad ones. In my opinion though Gk puzzles are the bigger offender of the two. What is strange to me is that I think the puzzles start out strong and end strong in Gk, its the middle that has problems from about day 3 to day 6. The clock puzzle is terrible, and the write the voodoo message is also bad partly due to design that you cant just erase one symbol. I really like the puzzle design of broken sword, the puzzles all have an Indiana Jones feel to them. the one bad puzzle in that game is getting the key from the guard at the dig site. Overall though this category also goes to Broken Sword.

Final Thoughts and score- Both of these games are considered classics and for good reason. The story, Characters, and settings are all great and both feature some good puzzle design. there is not right or wrong answer here but for me it goes…

Broken Sword 1- 9.8
Gabriel Knight 1- 9.5

What do yall guys think and ps it is good to be here Heart

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

They both are good games, my personal preference goes to GK1 (the original, the remake while an okay game just didn’t hit me like original did, and did IMO have some pretty poor design decision. It was kinds like watching Gus Van Sant’s Psycho remake really, as they didn’t really bring anything remarkable to the table).

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

As stated above, both are great. But, Broken Sword wins it for me because of the voice acting. I can’t stand the VA in GK personally.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I think the voice acting in the remake is actually a little better it is more subtle and underplayed while the original was way over the top especially by curry

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

tomimt - 01 July 2015 12:50 PM

They both are good games, my personal preference goes to GK1 (the original, the remake while an okay game just didn’t hit me like original did, and did IMO have some pretty poor design decision. It was kinds like watching Gus Van Sant’s Psycho remake really, as they didn’t really bring anything remarkable to the table).

see im 50/50 here the original art style is far better in the original with a dark tone that is set throughout the entire game, but saying that I actually liked how they structured the game more in the remake, and certain scenes just looked a lot better in the remake like in the vodoo secret base plus far less pixel hunting that is the only aspect I dislike about adventure games

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I even installed the remake of GK1 but didn’t end up playing it after all. But the original is a 5/5 game and Broken Sword can’t hold a candle to that. It’s a great game, but only 4/5. In my opinion, GK does everything better.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

millenia - 01 July 2015 01:41 PM

I even installed the remake of GK1 but didn’t end up playing it after all. But the original is a 5/5 game and Broken Sword can’t hold a candle to that. It’s a great game, but only 4/5. In my opinion, GK does everything better.

its all a matter of opinion but I just have to disagree I think puzzle design is far better and more logical in Broken Sword. Also the main plot of the voodoo I figured out pretty quickly had a lot to do with gabes dreams

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Jdawg445 - 01 July 2015 01:34 PM

I think the voice acting in the remake is actually a little better it is more subtle and underplayed while the original was way over the top especially by curry

Welcome to adventure Gamers Jdawg445 with an interesting 1st post! BS1 was the 1st true AG I played & have played many times since. The GK1 is the last in the series I managed to catch up with years after it’s original release so for me I was playing it in windowed mode with comparatively ‘inferior’ graphics to what I was used to at the time but still despite unwelcome action sequences in it found it to have the deeper story but I don’t know which game I would favour! (Advie - where are you? as we need a Cage Match now! Laughing)

I’ve gleaned that you’re from Virginia? & as a native it’s interesting to read your opinion on Tim Curry’s (who is British) southern accent - it comes across as equivalent to the horror from Londoners at Dick Van Dyke’s cockney accent in Mary Poppins ....but maybe the rest of the world never noticed! 
  Laughing

I look forward to your impressions of The GK remake which I still haven’t had time to play!

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Personally GK wins over BS1, albeit marginally.

The New Orleans voodoo culture is an automatic win for me,had a slight fascination for it ever since I was a kid.

I’ll still say that in terms of atmosphere the games are equally great.
In terms of story and music GK is slightly better. Plus GK allows the player to flesh out so much of the story: a lot of dialogue and a lot of clickables.

But here is my personal peeve with Broken Sword and why it falls behind GK for me:
The ending of BS feels so rushed. One moment you are in a train, the other at a castle entrance, then you watch a short ending animation and credits start to roll.

I recommend the movie Angel Heart to all the GK fans. Owh and Scooby Doo on Zombie Island Laughing

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

chrissie - 01 July 2015 01:52 PM
Jdawg445 - 01 July 2015 01:34 PM

Welcome to adventure Gamers Jdawg445 with an interesting 1st post! BS1 was the 1st true AG I played & have played many times since. The GK1 is the last in the series I managed to catch up with years after it’s original release so for me I was playing it in windowed mode with comparatively ‘inferior’ graphics to what I was used to at the time but still despite unwelcome action sequences in it found it to have the deeper story but I don’t know which game I would favour! (Advie - where are you? as we need a Cage Match now! Laughing)

I’ve gleaned that you’re from Virginia? & as a native it’s interesting to read your opinion on Tim Curry’s (who is British) southern accent - it comes across as equivalent to the horror from Londoners at Dick Van Dyke’s cockney accent in Mary Poppins ....but maybe the rest of the world never noticed! 
  Laughing

I look forward to your impressions of The GK remake which I still haven’t had time to play!

I am from sweet georgia, and have visited new orleans many times. I love tim curry and he is a great actor, just not good at a southern accent, I thought tim was great in another game called wing commander 3. Like I said tim’s accent is not the only problem he routinely slips in and out of the accent, sometimes it is super thick, and sometimes its just his normal voice. Listen to when he screams NO!!! there is no accent its just tim curry. The new voice actor at first is very shakey on the first day of the game, but by day 3 and 4 I think he slips into the character nicely and only a few lines sound weak. one big improvement is the new voice actor for malia gedde, she sounds a lot better in the remake. The rest of the new cast are all pretty close to the originals there are one or two side characters with bad voice work but the only bad voice work in the remake is by the guy who plays wolfgang ritter, he is just terrible lol.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Origami - 01 July 2015 01:57 PM

Personally GK wins over BS1, albeit marginally.

The New Orleans voodoo culture is an automatic win for me,had a slight fascination for it ever since I was a kid.

I’ll still say that in terms of atmosphere the games are equally great.
In terms of story and music GK is slightly better. Plus GK allows the player to flesh out so much of the story: a lot of dialogue and a lot of clickables.

But here is my personal peeve with Broken Sword and why it falls behind GK for me:
The ending of BS feels so rushed. One moment you are in a train, the other at a castle entrance, then you watch a short ending animation and credits start to roll.

I recommend the movie Angel Heart to all the GK fans. Owh and Scooby Doo on Zombie Island Laughing

see I find the ending to both games equally satisfying. both games tie up all the loose ends, I will admit I would have liked one additional scene between george and nico. the voodoo houndfort was a cooler last scene than the church in broken sword though no doubt

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

^
But the change in pace with BS was more apparent to me.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I thought Broken Sword was good, but so very very overrated. It’s a mere 3/5 in my book.

GK on the other hand is brilliant, gets a 4.5 in my book, and is in my AG all-time top 20.

GK is by far the better game for me. Better dialogue, better buildup, more satisfying in every way. The pace of GK is one of the best I’ve ever experienced in a game, with the slow start and steadily having the mystery creep up on you until the riveting climax. I’ve rarely seen a game with such a great build-up.
Broken Sword simply can’t compete with that.

And even though I’ll concede that Tim Curry was indeed inconsistent with his acting and dialect, you have to admit that the Cajun narration was as atmospheric as can be…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Bogi, is that you?

Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Jdawg445 - 01 July 2015 01:46 PM

I think puzzle design is far better and more logical in Broken Sword.

I agree. The puzzles has imo always been the weakest points of all of Jane Jensen’s games, and Broken sword is far better in this area. Story-wise, which has always been JJ’s biggest strength, I however think that it is a small win for Gabriel, I simply love the whole voodoo setting. BS however also has a great story, so overall? .. I donno .. both is great, neither is among my absolute favourites.

And neither Nico nor Grace has a leg to stand on against April and Zoë Wink

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Though Nico and Grace are actually both very good female characters, I like them. Grace has an interesting Japanese cultural background that’s actually noticeable in many places, and the sarcastic attitude of course. She’s smart and competent. Nico is an extremely feminine woman but a sassy one that doesn’t take any bullshit. She’s a resourceful journalist and reminds me of Lois Lane in a good way.

But yeah, they might still lose to the actual protagonists April and Zoë.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top