• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarbGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Any news of Bracken Tor or The Last Crown?

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

Boakes has reappeared on his twitter account and shares on January 5th that he had a recent battle with a kidney stone. I can imagine that setting anyone back awhile.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

TimovieMan - 07 January 2017 08:08 PM
rtrooney - 07 January 2017 07:47 PM

I don’t think anybody begrudges the situation or the financial constraints. What pisses people off is the lack of information. If, at the current pace of production, Bracken Tor will not be finished until March 2020 JUST SAY IT! It is what it is.

^ This.

Boakes has deterred a lot of fans, not because anyone feels he *owes* them, but because he has come out with dozens of release dates for an ever-increasing amount of games, and he has missed EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. of those dates.
He’s become a laughing stock because all we ever seem to hear from him is “It’s almost finished and coming out in a few weeks.” and this has been going on for years, with other projects popping up too, delaying things further.

He’d end up with more respect if he just outright stated he didn’t know when any of the games would release, and that it might well take years. Setting the expectations about a release back a bit is WAY better than continually getting everyone’s hope up and then crushing that.

The quality of his previous works is going to ensure that most of the genre fans are going to be interested anyway once the game DOES release. But the lack of solid information, and even complete mis-information is seriously hurting his cause.

^- This. It has nothing to do with fans thinking Boakes owes them anything but the constant stream of broken promises and enthouasiastic stories about new games that are being developed while the old ones haven’t even appeared on the market yet pisses people off big time.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

He’s actually lucky to still have so many fervent fans, but the constant veering off into other projects and the non-communication in a form that’s likely to be seen by most people - he has a website after all - has been hair-pullingly frustrating.  Why must we wait for third parties to leak out info they’ve gleaned from other sources?  He should just man up in my view and tell the truth.  No one will hold it against him if there are things beyond his control holding up the game.

And no, I do not think he owes us anything except common courtesy.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Dara100 - 08 January 2017 03:13 PM

No one will hold it against him if there are things beyond his control holding up the game.

I agree completely.

Shit happens, and you can always have circumstances that cause delays, but years of delays and dozens of missed deadlines aren’t “circumstances” but a chronic case of misinformation. If that stopped, I’m pretty sure all the fan complaining would stop as well. I know I’d rather hear an earnest “probably not before 2020” than a misleading “May 2017” followed by “October 2017” followed by “March 2018” etc.

I’d also rather hear about the development of one single game with ideas for follow-up games, than hearing about the concurrent development of four different games. Several games in production at the same time only result in all of them being delayed…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

So the pleasantness of your life depends on Jonathan Boakes??? Gasp

Grin Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

No, it depends on Matt Clark (and Bracken Tor).

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 09 January 2017 04:49 PM

No, it depends on Matt Clark (and Bracken Tor).

You’ve got a nerve, sonny. Come back when you’ve played Barrow Hill: The Dark PathTongue

Speaking of The Dark Path, I read that only 1300 copies have been sold so far. That’s real sad. And just 5000 copies of Boakes’ Last Crown Midnight Horror ($5) were sold since it came out in 2015. Must be devastating for them.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Karlok - 10 January 2017 08:15 AM

Come back when you’ve played Barrow Hill: The Dark PathTongue

Do I look like a beta tester to you?
They should iron that game first, get rid of the bugs and other vermin. I loved Barrow Hill (2006) for its impeccable gameplay and I expect(ed) nothing less from its sequel.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I played TDP a few weeks after its release and I didn’t encounter any bugs.

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

I didn’t have any problems either and I was one of the first to buy and start playing.

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The bug issue has indeed been resolved. But I think Zobraks hasn’t been entirely honest: He doesn’t do Steam.  Tongue

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

He’s not even sure what “Steam” is.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Terabin - 07 January 2017 10:54 PM

Boakes has reappeared on his twitter account and shares on January 5th that he had a recent battle with a kidney stone. I can imagine that setting anyone back awhile.

Here are Jonathan’s exact words from his blog that he updated the same day. 

2017 - Line up

Blackenrock is up first (sorry! I had kidney stone issues in December), then Shadow Tor’s ‘Bracken Tor’ (now a more logical follow up to Barrow Hill, thanks to Matt’s ‘The Dark Path’). We really must get the older productions out, and done, before DF4 can have its big splash, but it’s certainly something to look forward to. If you like ghost stories, old abandoned places and adventure games then you’re in for a cool spooky experience. It’s the sort of game that I wish there was more of, as a lot of the supernatural games fall back on demons, gore and weapons.

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

Is October finally the month for Blackenrock? I’m encouraged with the recent Gamescom appearance. I replayed The Lost Crown recently too and the game is a masterpiece of mood and storytelling. I focused on the shortcomings my first playthrough and gave it 7/10. It’s up to a 9 or 9.5/10 after the last playthrough.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top