• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Any news of Bracken Tor or The Last Crown?

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I get the impression it’s become more of a joint effort over the years. They always sold each other’s games and they’ve probably been working together on most or even all games.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/mattbearclark

Just look at the “team members”.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Finally managed to get round to playing this!

Karlok - 08 November 2015 11:10 AM

Well, I’m very happy to be back in Saxton, where time has stood still. The game intro has a decidedly retro look and feel with Nigel Danvers floating around as before instead of walking. The animations are still stiff and unnatural. Nigel still pauses every two or three words. If you want to have another go at a puzzle, you’ll have to repeat the dialogue. Only one innovation as far as I can tell: you can skip dialogue lines and doubleclick to move Nigel to the next room. So technology has passed Saxton by. But who cares, it’s as atmospheric as ever. Smile

I thought the speech was a bit better than the first one, particularly the welsh accent for Rhys, but otherwise I’m with car lock, it’s great to be back in Saxton.

I know it isn’t meant to be a proper game and it does have that feeling of the office Christmas party or the last day of term about it. That’s fine, but it does mean that the wonderful atmosphere from TLC gets lost I think, even from the title screen. As long as it’s back for the proper games when we get them in the late autumn of 2024 or whenever i’ll be happy. Wink

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I also bought it now (couldn’t resist any longer now the real game has been postponed again). It’s great to be back in Saxton! I would have been disappointed if Nigel suddenly had talked normal; the broken up sentences are his way of speech. Nanny Noah is as vague as ever and it’s nice to see all the other familiar faces too. I haven’t finished it yet so I can’t say much about the story yet.
Good review Fantasy! The game is as you say there. Let’s see what happens in Blackenrock, if it comes out.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

If anyone is looking for The Last Crown horror jollity before Mr. Boakes releases his game (which, by the way, take your sweet time Mr. Boakes and release the best game possible), LOOK YE to the tremendous BBC horror shorts, “A Ghost Story for Christmas.” Following after M.R. James’ tradition of telling a ghost story he had written for Christmas to his Cambridge students around the Christmas Eve fire (circa the early 1900s), the BBC enlisted Lawrence Gordon Clark to come up with a yearly Christmas ghost story (often based on a James story) for the public. SOG59 on youtube has the whole BBC collection up on YouTube. It is a tremendous collection for those of us in the US who do not have easy access to the British DVD. I particularly recommend “Lost Hearts” and “The Signalman” both directed by Clark. If you watch these, you will easily find Jonathan Boakes’ inspiration for his games to tide you over, until Boakes gives us his next masterpiece.

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2007-07-23

PM

I was surprised to see The Last Crown: Blackenrock listed as “Upcoming” on Steam, along with other games due to be released tomorrow. The page for the game still says “Coming Soon - 2016”, so either something odd is going on, or it really is coming (very?) soon.

http://store.steampowered.com/

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Blog news:

http://jonathanboakes.blogspot.pt/

“Release -  April/early May. Online and boxed.”

Trailer

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

How many release dates has this game had so far?

The trailers look fantastic! I really hope this is the final release date this game gets and we can finally play it!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

tsa - 15 March 2016 02:06 AM

How many release dates has this game had so far?

i know someone who can spare these statistics

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Wasn’t there a promise of a boxed version on Jonathan’s blog, and a release date of end of April/beginning of May? They have disappeared, but on his Twitter account he seems to be talking to a beta-tester about a GOG version as well as a Steam version. Mysteries appear even before the game is out!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I have a theory that Bracken Tor has actually already been released. The game is a new, revolutionary type of real-life adventure game where we search for evidence about what has happened to the original Bracken Tor due to come out in 2011. Has Matt Clark gone missing and where is he?  Have the ancient Cornish legends taken revenge on Matt for their not-entirely-positive portrayal in Barrow Hill? Scour the internet for clues about this supernatural occurrence and solve the mystery surrounding the missing game.

The final piece of evidence is that “Bracken Tor” is an anagram for “Track Borne” - it is WE who are on a moonlit winding forest track borne by the circumstances surrounding the game’s disappearance!

Ingenious!

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 448

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Oscar - 29 March 2016 03:54 AM

The final piece of evidence is that “Bracken Tor” is an anagram for “Track Borne”.....Ingenious!

It is also an anagram of:

“Carbon Trek” (ooooh, let’s go on a mission to find exact duplicates [or carbon copies] of ghostly apparitions!)

“Tracer Knob” (part of a machine used by Mr. Boakes that helps locate the missing game)

“Bank Rector” (the evil person controlling the funds needed by Mr. Boakes to finish and/or release the game)

“Broken Cart” (the message you’ll get when you try to buy the game from an online store)

There are many more, but I’ll stop….

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

wilco - 14 March 2016 06:34 PM

Blog news:

http://jonathanboakes.blogspot.pt/

“Release -  April/early May. Online and boxed.”

Trailer

We’re still waiting.

In the meantime, Jonathan Boakes seems to have vanished from the face of the planet. His blog and twitter feed haven’t been updated since the end of April. Does anyone know what happened?

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

On 4 July he answered a question at Facebook about the upcoming release. Still no release date: Hello, work is continuing on finishing The Last Crown Blackenrock for release later this year, as soon as possible!

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Thanks Karlok! So it’s back to waiting as usual, unfortunately…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top