• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Shenmue III

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

wilco - 01 July 2015 01:44 PM

The game still hasn’t left the 700s, it’s really losing momentum.
They need to change the rewards for more people to up their pledge. I think a physical PS4 incentive would do great.

Yeah, I find this a bit odd too. In the recent Q&A, Suzuki’s answer to this question was “I’m looking into it.”. But, that seemed to be the answer for a lot of questions. Is Corey Marshall coming back, will SEGA re-release S1 and S2 etc, I suppose I can sort of understand it as he wasn’t sure how the KS would do, but you’d think he’d have somethings in place.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Tad - 01 July 2015 07:59 AM

Sort of.

[long post edited for brevity]

There’s so much detail in this game…and that’s just Shenmue l.

WTF? It’s the Holy Grail of gaming! Gasp

SEGA, PORT THIS ASAP!!!!

Also sounds like Rockstar owes a lot to this.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Yup Smile

And Shenmue ll features a chunk of virtual Hong Kong as Ryo continues his journey.

I also forgot to say in Shenmue 1 you can get a job at the docks driving a forklift around. In Shenmue 2, you can gamble, play/work at a lucky hit game, at docks again, mini games like arm wrestling, fighting etc. Oh, and you can actually get the weather in S1 to be accurate to the actual weather back in that area of Japan in the 80s. They’ve done it by looking at weather patterns from back then.

There is another part to all this too, where ever you go, they’ve captured the place perfectly. You can learn so much about the culture of China, Japan and martial arts too.

They achieved all this back in the 90s…yeah. amazing huh?

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Some refinement to Shen Hua’s model:

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2006-08-31

PM

Hopefully they have some other rewards coming because people who haven’t played shenmue before are not interested about corey marshall voice message or corey marshall’s comeback. Better not to talk about paypall or another kickstarter because hey we still have 15 days to turn the boat. I want to believe in miracles Smile . We are doing #SaveShenmue Tweetathon this Friday and also same day we are having $30 on the 3rd of July campaign. Give 30 or raise your pledge with 30 dollars. Ok i’ve already pledged 190 dollars so i can’t do that but perhaps i can go to 200 dollars.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

In this day of constant remasters of games that are recent (sometimes no more than one year old), Shenmue really needs a remaster badly. It is the prime candidate especially that it was released on the Dreamcast, a very beloved but short lived console. As much as I would love to play the old 2 games, I am not buying a Dreamcast only for that.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Shouldn’t really say this, but currently you’re best off trying emulation instead of buying a Dreamcast and games anyway. The games are getting ridiculously expensive and it’s just a pain to have another console out for it. Why these haven’t been re-released I’ll never know. If SEGA don’t after seeing this much money being thrown at it, then it’s offically time to declare SEGA insane.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2006-08-31

PM

Sega has completely lost it. they are shadow of what they were back in 90’s and early 2000. They have done nothing but bad decisions lately. it’s a miracle that they are still standing.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 02 July 2015 03:39 AM

In this day of constant remasters of games that are recent (sometimes no more than one year old), Shenmue really needs a remaster badly. It is the prime candidate especially that it was released on the Dreamcast, a very beloved but short lived console. As much as I would love to play the old 2 games, I am not buying a Dreamcast only for that.

Adviced this to wilco too, you are betteroff with Shenmue2 on xbox, as its better and at anyrate kowloon , hongkong and the story development there should not be missed.
Shenmue 3 and 4 will bring closure and whatnot, but kowloon was Shenmue for me.
I always had hopes to visit it in my life, but the stupid modern urbanization took away everything along with kowloon what made Hongkong The shit in the 80s and 90s.

Shenmue fans will recognize this,

Those were some days.

Edit:

24used for 40$,
Secure your copy
http://www.amazon.com/Shenmue-II-Xbox/dp/B00006IJIS

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

It’s sad really. The bloke who use to run them gave everything to keep SEGA going back in the day - he literally put his own savings in it too keep it going in the end. He sadly died just after the Dreamcast was discontinued and as you said, the SEGA we once knew died too.

They can still create something great every now and then like Valkyria Chronicles, SEGA Racing Transformed, Sonic Colours/Generations, but those moments seem to be getting far and fewer now more then ever. Especially as the restructuring seems to be going for PC and Mobile only. Sounds horrible, but I kind of think the best that could happen to them now is to go under only for someone more competent to buy them.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Honestly I don’t understand the hype. The trailer looked awful and I don’t think the budget is going to be enough to fulfill expecations.

Back in the days I would check Shenmuedojo everyday hoping to see new news for over a period of 4 years. I finally managed to let go and luckily Yakuza was there.

I bought a Shenmue 1 copy for cheap 3 years after its initial release. Copy looks new.
One of my most prized possessions. Smile

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

The sad part about Sega is that for the first time since the inception of E3, they had 0 presence there. They made it pretty clear that they are more invested in mobile going forward, just like Konami and Capcom.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 02 July 2015 12:21 PM

The sad part about Sega is that for the first time since the inception of E3, they had 0 presence there. They made it pretty clear that they are more invested in mobile going forward, just like Konami and Capcom.

Konami and Sega are totally done for, but Capcon is in nextgen transition and once their pantarhei engine will roll , they will bring some heavy hitters i guess.
SFV, Kitchen, Deepdown and probably RE7.
TGS will shed more light.

Atleast SEnix redeemed itself in a big way.

@origami

Its the soul and heart of shenmue that atrracts people, gameplay as i said didnt age well, its clunky and tankish.
And yeah gameplay wise Yakuza shits on it from great height.
Too bad like Shenmue , Yakuza also dont get proper attention it deserves.
Cant wait for yakuza6 at TGS. Laughing

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Origami - 02 July 2015 12:01 PM

Honestly I don’t understand the hype. The trailer looked awful and I don’t think the budget is going to be enough to fulfill expecations.

Back in the days I would check Shenmuedojo everyday hoping to see new news for over a period of 4 years. I finally managed to let go and luckily Yakuza was there.

I bought a Shenmue 1 copy for cheap 3 years after its initial release. Copy looks new.
One of my most prized possessions. Smile

That wasn’t a trailer they showed. It was literally something they threw together for the KS.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

nomadsoul - 02 July 2015 03:18 PM

@origami

Its the soul and heart of shenmue that atrracts people, gameplay as i said didnt age well, its clunky and tankish.
And yeah gameplay wise Yakuza shits on it from great height.
Too bad like Shenmue , Yakuza also dont get proper attention it deserves.
Cant wait for yakuza6 at TGS. Laughing

Honestly, I never critized the gameplay of Shenmue. My criticism was only directed on its aesthetics.

But above poster explained that the trailer wasn’t representative of the game.

I really hope the game will do well and Sony will buy the property. Possbily developing a remake of the first two games? I am not graphics whore lol…far from it but the new audience needs to explore the franchise from the beginning. Also Yu Suzuki’s original vision of it being one big adventure with carry-over features can be realised.

Unfortunately I don’t think Shenmue will ever appeal to the mainstream audience.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top