• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Her Story

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

anyone heard about this game?
I learned of it by watching Jim Sterling’s ‘squirty’ play of it.

Anyway, it’s a murder mystery where the detective can search through a database with videos from interview with a woman in the early 90ies. And by looking for clues you can discover the real story.
I was intrigued by the video.
It will be released June 24st

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

jaap - 11 June 2015 03:01 PM

I agree, it looks like a pretty interesting concept… but man I hate Jim Sterling`s voice, this guy sounds like he`s trying to EMPHASIZE. EVERY. WORD.

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It’s original, but watching videos and videos of a interview with the same character… Mmm, not sure. I do like the desktop investigation stuff.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

jaap - 11 June 2015 03:01 PM

anyone heard about this game?
I learned of it by watching Jim Sterling’s ‘squirty’ play of it.

Anyway, it’s a murder mystery where the detective can search through a database with videos from interview with a woman in the early 90ies. And by looking for clues you can discover the real story.
It will be released June 24st

Its written by guy who wrote SH shatteredmemories , i was waiting for this, neat concept,but he could have selected better actress, i think her acting is subpar and gonna make or break the overall experience.Let’s see.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

I obtained review copy and 100% completed it.

@nomadsoul
Don’t fret about performance. Viva Seifert does her part pretty good aligned with story. Believe me, you’ll be surprised.

Recently, there was a thread here about keeping notes while playing adventure. Well, folks, you’ll definitely need pen and paper for this one. Or dual-monitor setup, with note taking software on second screen.

This game basically plays like a big maze adventure. Database is a maze and, if you want to fully complete it, you have to click on its every tile (video).

Gameplay might prove simple in beginning, you discover new videos pretty easy but more and more you progress, it’s hard to find new videos. Words are constantly repeated in short videos so you have to be imaginative, play with words and their variations (verb tenses, pronouns) to dig out new info.

There are few downsides though. I unlocked last, incriminating video after watching 30-40% videos. After I “finished” game, I returned to database to find all the other videos to get complete perspective about story.

But searching for other videos yielded a lot of “filler” content. Videos that don’t contribute to story (whether in terms on providing new info or misleading players) but still are hard to find. After approximately 10 hours of gameplay and 90% of unlocked content, I gave in and cheated to see last 10 or so videos. In some cases, I could have been more creative, but I’d argue that majority of those undiscovered videos were practically impossible to find through normal search method (and were completely irrelevant as far as the story goes).

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

That sounds promising, lucebend, thanks for the impressions.
How long is each video on average?

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

It varies from one second (with one word) to two minutes. I would say it amounts 10 - 15 seconds on average.

Here’s the first review: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2015/06/16/her-story-review-a-game-about-an-unsolved-crime-that-reveals-the-best-the-medium-has-to-offer/

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Sounds like fun, I’ll keep an eye out for it. Different from a typical game and those can be quite good.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I’m very interested after seeing this preview:

Mind you, it would probably be better to not look up too much info so your experience is not influenced by others.

But yeah, love the interface and its use of FMV.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’ve been at it for a couple of hours, love it. Found 166 videos, still have 105 videos to go. I do wish there was an easy way to organize the video clips so you can see the ones you’ve discoverd in the right order. I guess the developers didn’t want us to. Frown It can be done, but it’s really too much work.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

@Karlok
Best tactic is to tag them very specifically: date, dress color, etc. And then put some defining keyword that will make it clearly distinguishable from others. But trying to organize them prior to discovering all videos is a tedious task. It’s better to go back once you’ve completed all database, find them, put them in order and then watch the whole sequence.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Well, I finished it. It was fun, I like story-driven games and the gameplay in this one was different. Nice details. But…

[critcism of gameplay, only mildly spoilerish and no story spoilers]
[spoiler]Some videos are literally impossible to find. I tried and tried. And tried again. It felt like defeat when I finally started using the “official” cheats. But then the so-called random-cheat (which is hardly random!) produced videos with just three words: What about us? and I realized the search engine with its restrictions will never come up with this particular video or with videos near the end of the interrogation when the only word is yes or no. Bad developer for making me try to finish the game all by myself when that can’t be done! The joke is on us players and that’s not fair.[/spoiler]

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

So does this have an end or a “win” case? I played it for a bit, found out all the details of the crime and whodunnit and how and why and I still have more than half the videos to uncover but I’m not terribly sure why or what I’m looking for.

Is there some missing piece and then the game will go “Hey, you win?” or am I wasting my time?

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Just ‘finished’ it, quite interesting idea, although a bit too similar to other stories in movies etc. Was a fun 1.5 hrs I guess Wink

How to end:
at some point you will receive an invitation to chat, if you indicate you are ready, it’s the end game

How to view all videos
I read that you can search for BLANK, which will give you all videos. You can then view all videos chronologically, and after you have watched them, delete the BLANK tag.

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

Karlok - 25 June 2015 11:13 AM

Well, I finished it. It was fun, I like story-driven games and the gameplay in this one was different. Nice details. But…

[critcism of gameplay, only mildly spoilerish and no story spoilers]
[spoiler]Some videos are literally impossible to find. I tried and tried. And tried again. It felt like defeat when I finally started using the “official” cheats. But then the so-called random-cheat (which is hardly random!) produced videos with just three words: What about us? and I realized the search engine with its restrictions will never come up with this particular video or with videos near the end of the interrogation when the only word is yes or no. Bad developer for making me try to finish the game all by myself when that can’t be done! The joke is on us players and that’s not fair.[/spoiler]

My thoughts exactly. That’s just bad filler content. Frown

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

jaap - 25 June 2015 02:47 PM

How to view all videos
I read that you can search for BLANK, which will give you all videos. You can then view all videos chronologically, and after you have watched them, delete the BLANK tag.

Yeah, some clever people at the Steam forums. But it’s worse than the worst cheat cause there’s no gameplay left. All you have to do is remove the BLANK tag after you’ve watched each batch of 5 (or 15) and search for the next batch. I’m glad I read about it afterwards, just knowing I could use this trick would have taken all the fun out of playing the game.

lucebend - 25 June 2015 03:09 PM

My thoughts exactly. That’s just bad filler content. Frown

Sorry, I read your post later, you said the same thing.

I’m not (yet) entirely sure who is who and who did what when. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top