• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

On mapping and note-taking…

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

I love note-keeping, though there are rarely games that need that anymore. I especially love games that somehow encourage you to take notes.

Anyways, it’s almost always older games. All kinds of maze puzzles, especially, but also puzzles regarding different symbols or stuff. Still, I’d like to - and on a rare occasion have - take notes on also other types of things, maybe more general things that are happening, not just one individual puzzle.

Most recently, I think when I was playing Myst, there was (as usual) the maze. Good thing I made those notes, too - as I remember you had to pass through it a few times. Another thing was, I believe, on my replay of The Longest Journey.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

There are two “mazes” in Myst: Channelwood and that spider thing area. Neither are really mazes.
For Channelwood: There’s a book in the library on the main island with a map of it.
For Spider: It’s a maze of sounds, the device tells you which way to go each time. You correlate sounds with directions using one of the gadgets found earlier in the castle thingie.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Antrax - 27 May 2015 03:55 AM

There are two “mazes” in Myst: Channelwood and that spider thing area. Neither are really mazes.

Does a maze stop being a maze because you found a map? Does a maze stop being a maze because it’s easy once you figure the meaning of the sounds out? Lots of gamers traversed it the traditional way. Lots of adventures have mazes with a twist.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 27 May 2015 05:05 AM

Does a maze stop being a maze because you found a map? Does a maze stop being a maze because it’s easy once you figure the meaning of the sounds out? Lots of gamers traversed it the traditional way. Lots of adventures have mazes with a twist.

I agree. Just because the game provides the means to use the shortest path, doesn’t change the fact that it’s still a maze.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

For Channelwood: There’s a book in the library on the main island with a map of it.
For Spider: It’s a maze of sounds, the device tells you which way to go each time. You correlate sounds with directions using one of the gadgets found earlier in the castle thingie.

But that’s not what I was talking about. I meant the underground train. As far as I could see that was very much a maze.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 27 May 2015 05:05 AM

What about the the Melee Island forest in MI1? It doesn’t have a spatial structure, the only way to get through it by is finding the directions.

I would have thought a maze is something you have to find your way through by trial and error.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Oscar - 27 May 2015 08:10 AM

I would have thought a maze is something you have to find your way through by trial and error.

A maze is a maze - is - a maze is a maze.
The best imo provides you with some clues, so you don’t have to rely solely on trial and error.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2015-05-20

PM

I actually enjoy mapping mazes, mainly because of how nice they play with grid paper. I used to really like mapping Shining In The Darkness. And those maps were very helpful on a second playthrough.

Iznogood - 27 May 2015 09:23 AM

A maze is a maze - is - a maze is a maze.

I do agree here. Difficulty or the presence of a trick don’t change the fact that it’s a maze. It just makes it a different sort of maze.

Walking the fine line between being an original hardware nerd, and being broke from buying original hardware.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2011-12-31

PM

I come from the Text adventure era where maps/notes were a necessity if you wanted to complete the games. Even today, I always use them, though not as much as then.

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

A “maze” is a section where the challenge is to get through, and the way to do so is trial and error. Otherwise, every non-single-room game “has a maze” being the game world itself.

“Having a maze” is a bad thing for games, since it’s padding. So, those games where what looks like a maze is actually clever in some fashion, i.e. the “puzzle” isn’t “waste some minutes mapping this place out”, shouldn’t count as mazes.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Antrax - 28 May 2015 12:27 AM

A “maze” is a section where the challenge is to get through, and the way to do so is trial and error. Otherwise, every non-single-room game “has a maze” being the game world itself.

“Having a maze” is a bad thing for games, since it’s padding. So, those games where what looks like a maze is actually clever in some fashion, i.e. the “puzzle” isn’t “waste some minutes mapping this place out”, shouldn’t count as mazes.

We’re disagreeing on semantics then, as I still count the “clever” ones as mazes.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Antrax - 28 May 2015 12:27 AM

“Having a maze” is a bad thing for games, since it’s padding.

I also don’t agree on this. A maze is just another form of puzzle, and like all other puzzles they can be either well or poorly designed. The poorly designed mazes can feel like padding, but so can all other poorly designed puzzles, and a well designed maze can both be challenging and very entertaining.

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

That’s why I’m insisting on the trial and error part. If the maze is “classic” in the sense the way to navigate through it is keep trying until you find a way out, then it’s not challenging, it’s just tedious. People sometimes like tedious things, but it doesn’t make them any less padding (for instance, I like slider puzzles but I agree when reviews dock points for using them).
You can consider anything a puzzle, but the question is what your semantics contribute. Mine differentiate between busy-work and something you can expect players to enjoy. What do yours do?

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Antrax - 28 May 2015 11:09 AM

That’s why I’m insisting on the trial and error part.

Many puzzle rely on trial and error, that is not something unique for mazes.

Antrax - 28 May 2015 11:09 AM

You can consider anything a puzzle, but the question is what your semantics contribute. Mine differentiate between busy-work and something you can expect players to enjoy. What do yours do?

I’m happy to answer that: Mine is an objective definition, i.e. it is a maze because it has a maze like structure, whereas yours is a subjective definition, i.e. it is a maze because it is tedious padding.

Regardless, this is not exactly the most important issue on the planet, if we have different definitions of what constitute a maze, then so be it!
(I would much rather discuss what is actually required to make a maze interesting, but another time another thread)

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

A definition:

Image Attachments

Maze.png

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top