• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #33: Scratches

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I think this is the only game that has actually managed to make me scream, not once but twice!  The first time from finding the mask had disappeared but then saw it peeking at me after exiting back through the door (not sure if that was just my eyes playing tricks on me) and of course the scare from the furnace.

Boy, I know how you feel. Game did this to me too, which is a good thing for a horror game.

Strangely, the game is very stable on a netbook with windows 8.1.

I have a game called “British horror collection” - this game would have fit right in perfectly.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The first time I played this, when I saw the mask was gone, I kept thinking it was there in the room with me and something bad was going to happen if I turned around.  I was relieved when it wasn’t, only to be suckered when I opened the door.  This time I knew what was coming but was still jittery.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Just reached Monday.

It was a shorter day than the first, because it felt more straightforward, like I knew what to do at all times.
I missed the oil can at first, though, but I had a nagging feeling I had overlooked something there, so went back immediately.

As I type this, it’s 20 minutes ago that I stopped the game, but I think most of the hairs on my body are still standing on end. That dreaded mask gave me goosebumps like nothing else, and the furnace jump scare made me spasm (followed by more goosebumps).

Can’t wait to find out how everything ties together…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Like the other Tim, I’ve reached Monday as well.

If anything contributed to the scariness of this section it was the music. I didn’t find the mask particularly frightening. Reading about its backstory made it seem more ominous than scary.

If anyone remembers the game Shivers, there were two scenes that scared the crap out of me. One was when you were finally able to see the top of the scaffolding, and what you saw was claw marks. The other was when you were ascending the stairs from the oil pit for the first time and the two gleaming red eyes suddenly appear out of the darkness at the top of the stairs.

As to the furnace, the trip to the end of the tunnel was not frightening. Claustrophobic, yes! I saw the silhouette cross the door, and waited for something else to happen, but nothing did. (Now if the image of whatever it was had suddenly popped up in front of me while I was looking at the door….THAT would have scared the bejeezus out of me!)

However, the music, with its harsh chording and steadily rising crescendo signifying impending doom did raise the hair on my neck. I was glad to safely arrive back in the basement.

Edit: I was “forced” to look at a WT because I was having a problem with the old newspaper under the door trick at the door on the third floor. It said that, in addition to the can lid, I was supposed to find a key on the table. I found no such key, but was still allowed to proceed to the next day. Am I in trouble?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Phew… Tons of things to discuss! I’m glad you all made it through the second day in one piece. Indeed, it’s way shorter, but I love how focused and strong it is. And you’ve experienced the two infamous scares of the game, both relentlessly delivered in a row. People are still claiming my head for that Tongue

While the climb outside the window seemed awfully far-fetched on paper, and I don’t think I managed to communicate Michael’s motivation or state of mind properly, it seems to have worked well anyway. It’s way over-the-top, especially with the dramatic music, but luckily it didn’t feel out of place (at least I never heard many criticisms). I think it harkens back to hammy horror movies, in a good way. Or maybe everybody is so excited to find out what’s in that mysterious room that they don’t pause to think just how silly that climb is.

Fun trivia: a scrapped easter egg was supposed to show an apocalyptic red sky when you did that climb.

Now, the third day is a mixed bag, especially puzzle-wise. You will have tons of new places to explore and things to do, so it makes up for the short nature of the second day. In fact, it should be the longest one of all three. It’s very ominous—Cellar of Rats did an amazing job to capture that “OMG something ugly is gonna happen” feel with the music. The final moments of the next day are very special to me as we were wrapping up the game, which provoked equal feelings of sadness, excitement, apprehension… Basically, anxious anticipation to see how everything turned out and how people reacted. In spite of the uneven execution of the game, the final sequence works exactly as I planned. You may love it, you may hate it, but it’s supposed to be that way. I’m looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I’ll follow up with specific replies to your questions soon!

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 2986

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Agustin, please put spolier tags when talking about the climb out of the window.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

rtrooney - 23 May 2015 06:35 PM

Edit: I was “forced” to look at a WT because I was having a problem with the old newspaper under the door trick at the door on the third floor. It said that, in addition to the can lid, I was supposed to find a key on the table. I found no such key, but was still allowed to proceed to the next day. Am I in trouble?

Of course. Surely you either picked it up by accident or the silver key is still on the table and you haven’t noticed it.

Rest assured you’ll need it in the third day.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 24 May 2015 01:41 AM

Agustin, please put spolier tags when talking about the climb out of the window.

Edited it.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

However, the music, with its harsh chording and steadily rising crescendo signifying impending doom did raise the hair on my neck.

Yes, the music in any work of horror is critical and in this game it is excellent. Set the mood and added to the feeling of foreboding and terror.

Great job and I must say - contributed greatly to the game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Agustín Cordes - 23 May 2015 07:10 PM

While the climb outside the window seemed awfully far-fetched on paper, and I don’t think I managed to communicate Michael’s motivation or state of mind properly, it seems to have worked well anyway. It’s way over-the-top, especially with the dramatic music, but luckily it didn’t feel out of place (at least I never heard many criticisms). I think it harkens back to hammy horror movies, in a good way. Or maybe everybody is so excited to find out what’s in that mysterious room that they don’t pause to think just how silly that climb is.

Yeah, it was quite funny to hear Michael mentioning not wanting to go outside because of the rain when you click the exit and after 5 minutes he goes all acrobat with the rope climb.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sefir - 24 May 2015 01:45 AM

Of course. Surely you either picked it up by accident or the silver key is still on the table and you haven’t noticed it.

Rest assured you’ll need it in the third day.

I picked it up by accident, but apparently I did something out of sequence because it wasn’t one of the last two inventory items.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Phew… Tons of things to discuss! I’m glad you all made it through the second day in one piece. Indeed, it’s way shorter, but I love how focused and strong it is. And you’ve experienced the two infamous scares of the game, both relentlessly delivered in a row. People are still claiming my head for that

I’ve finished day two and yes, day two was much shorter than day one - but a better day by far.

The scares were very good, I myself didn’t expect them at all - which added to the shock value.

Heart

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

...The night is dark and full of jumpscares…

I see that we all survived last night. Time to move on to the final day. Originally, I was thinking of splitting this day in two chapters, since major pieces of the storyline are revealed and I wanted us to discuss each one of them together. However I can see that the majority prefer a fast pace playthrough (or the game was easier than I expected). Thus, no deadlines this time. Just finish the game already!! Smile

You will find this chapter harder than the previous ones. The riddles are trickier, and there is sometimes a “lack of orientation” that we saw in chapter 1. It is still a very strong chapter, due to the unravelling of the story and a very clever riddle which is probably the game’s most memorable one (of course I am talking about the shoveling) IMHO.

I would like to thank all members who participated in this playthrough and most of all Agustin Cordes who provided us with some excellent first-hand info (and I’m sure much more will follow later in this chapter Wink ).

Be free to discuss any ideas you may have concerning what is going on in Blackwood manor as you proceed. Always in spoiler tags of course.

Scene of the week: Gotcha! Naughty

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I had a heck of a time with the shiny object in the greenhouse. The drain where you first see it runs right under the front door. Metal objects, as a rule, don’t move against the tide. Why would you expect to find a hotspot on a pot that isn’t even in direct flow of the water?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I had a heck of a time with the shiny object in the greenhouse.

I had trouble with this one too. A fairly major puzzle. Not impossible - just difficult.

The hardest part for me was finding the shiny object at the tree, that took a fair chunk of time.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top