• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #33: Scratches

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 05 May 2015 01:46 PM

I attempted to modify the SCream.cfg file at noted in crabapple’s post, but, even though I am administrator for this machine, I was not allowed to save the change to the file.

Have you checked if the file is write protected, and removed that before editing the file?

If that is not the problem, then there are in Win7 some folders that you even as an administrator do not have write access to. In order to change that you need to first take ownership of the folder, a guide to how you can do this can be found here - But if this is actually the problem, then it might be easier to simply reinstall the game in a folder where you already have access.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sefir - 05 May 2015 02:02 PM

rtrooney, we already mentioned more than once that the game is not available on GOG or Steam. It USED to, but not anymore.

I beg to differ.

Sefir - 05 May 2015 04:56 AM

Hmmm….I also use Win-7 64bit in my laptop and the game runs fine. I use the GOG version btw. Have you tried to run it into an emulated environment like Virtual PC?

Izlimak - 05 May 2015 08:49 AM

Have been wanting to get involved in one of the community playthroughs, but haven’t had the time, so this will be my first. I am currently downloading the game from GoG.com and will advise if it works on Windows 10 64bit, build 10074. Btw, first time playing Scratches.

Agustín Cordes - 05 May 2015 10:11 AM

The Steam/GOG/Big Fish versions are fully patched, so the refresh rate bug is fixed.

Nowhere was it mentioned that gog/steam/BFG no longer offered the game. (At least not in this thread.)

As for Amazon, I’ll PM Becky. Two of the eleven reviews of the download version are quite bad.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2988

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

rtrooney - 05 May 2015 02:26 PM

Nowhere was it mentioned that gog/steam/BFG no longer offered the game. (At least not in this thread.)

Sefir - 05 May 2015 04:26 AM

It is a shame, but for reasons unknown to me (something about publishing and selling rights if I’m not mistaken), GOG and Steam no longer have the Scratches on sale. I am one of the lucky ones to had it bought before.

Agustín Cordes - 05 May 2015 10:11 AM

It’s a shame that the playthrough is happening just when the game is no longer being distributed. The contract with the previous publisher expired and the game is in limbo for the time being. I hope this will be resolved soon, and that’s all I can say for now Meh

Please rtrroney pay attention to the previous posts…
As for the Amazon versions it is currently on 9.99$ in donload. Becky mentioned that it runs fine on Win7 64bit, but pming is a good move (though if 2/11 reviews being bad means 9/11 are good ones. I would have given it a shot if I were you).

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Reviews of the game itself are quite good. The two negatives are about the download itself.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I have the GOG version and it runs fine on Windows 7 64 bit. I have a question for Agustin though.

http://www.gog.com/forum/scratches/does_the_gog_version_include_the_developers_final_farewell_updates_to_the_game

According to the post, there are 2 patches that were available on the website before it went down. Agustin, do you know if the GOG version has those patches, and if not, what is the implication to the game?

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2010-09-04

PM

I was not allowed to save the change to the file.

I suggest copying the file to the desktop, editing it, then copying it back overtop of the original. Other ways run afoul of admin privilege issues. 100% guarantee this will work (you might have to disable read-only, but I doubt it).

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2010-09-04

PM

SoccerDude28 - 05 May 2015 02:54 PM

According to the post, there are 2 patches that were available on the website before it went down. Agustin, do you know if the GOG version has those patches, and if not, what is the implication to the game?

http://www.patches-scrolls.com/scratches.php

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

wisnoskij - 05 May 2015 03:57 PM

I was not allowed to save the change to the file.

I suggest copying the file to the desktop, editing it, then copying it back overtop of the original. Other ways run afoul of admin privilege issues. 100% guarantee this will work (you might have to disable read-only, but I doubt it).

That seemed to have worked. At least the game loaded, and I was able to get through the introductory cut scenes. Many thanks.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

It would appear that I’m ready to go.

I hope chrissie saw the above post. If it worked for me, there’s no reason it shouldn’t work for her as well.

Side note re: Amazon download: It’s interesting that many of the reviews mention the price they paid for the game. In most instances it was either $3.99 or $5.99US. I’m assuming this while there was competition in the marketplace. Now that the game is no longer available on gog/Steam/BFG the price foir a download is $9.99US. Coincidence?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 05 May 2015 05:04 AM

I’ve never tried running anything in Virtual PC Sefir! & am too concerned about what’s in the coding of the game to upset my PC so much to try anything more on my current system!

These in combination worked for me. Hopefully they will work for you as well.

crabapple - 05 May 2015 10:02 AM

I found this tip for fixing the BSOD on another website:

You must edit the Scream.CFG file. To accomplish this in Windows 7, go to C:/Program Files/Nucleosys/Scratches. Find the Scream.CFG file and right click. Select Properties and from within that window, change the Open With option to either Notepad or Word Pad. Change the Rate from 0 to 60. Save the file, exit and restart the game.

The game was in a different directory, Got Game, I believe. But you should be able to find it.

My reply:

rtrooney - 05 May 2015 01:46 PM

I attempted to modify the SCream.cfg file at noted in crabapple’s post, but, even though I am administrator for this machine, I was not allowed to save the change to the file.

Did the following and it worked.

wisnoskij - 05 May 2015 03:57 PM

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2988

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Lady Kestrel, Advie, Intense Degree, Noddy, diego and Mikekelly are the ones who voted and still not confirmed if the game runs fine for them. They still have some days before the 9th,  but of course the sooner, the better.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i am ready to roll, boss.. sure i don’t wanna miss this.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Yep, I have the game on Steam from a while back and I booted it up quickly last night. All appears to be running fine on Win 7 64.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Sefir - 06 May 2015 04:11 AM

Lady Kestrel, Advie, Intense Degree, Noddy, diego and Mikekelly are the ones who voted and still not confirmed if the game runs fine for them. They still have some days before the 9th,  but of course the sooner, the better.

Hi Sefir,

I’ve ordered the disc version (Director’s Cut) and just waiting for it to arrive, should have it today/tomorrow. Hopefully can then get it working ok (win7 64bit) but looks like the workarounds listed will do the job if it doesn’t work initially.

Looking forward to this!

Cheers
Nod

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2011-07-05

PM

Izlimak - 05 May 2015 08:49 AM

Have been wanting to get involved in one of the community playthroughs, but haven’t had the time, so this will be my first. I am currently downloading the game from GoG.com and will advise if it works on Windows 10 64bit, build 10074. Btw, first time playing Scratches.

Download finished, couldn’t get it to work full screen (weird refresh rate issue), but works fine in windowed mode (changed via the cfg file).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top