• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophycean

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AGSOTD

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 26 March 2017 12:11 PM
Karlok - 25 March 2017 09:21 PM

rtrooney - 25 March 2017 09:15 PM

I don’t know what to make of this situation. Of more concern than the fate of the AGSOTD thread is the fate of the forum, itself. Because I think they are intertwined.

The daily AGSotD threads have been going on for 4 or even 5 years. Maybe it’s time for something new. I don’t see why the future of the forum has anything to do with that.

I have to agree with Karlok here that the future of the forums really doesn’t rest on AGSotD but re that if it’s time for something new what is it? & if there is something new why can’t it be as well as? .....trailer of the day!
Smile

I can’t say my comment was take out of context, because it wasn’t. I think it was misinterpreted through. It was intended as a metaphor in the same way a community’s crumbling bridge can symbolize the disintegration of the infrastructure in general. Yes, new buildings go up, but the things that have been around seemingly forever, like the pipes beneath the street, are no longer sufficient to support them.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I don’t mind being a pipe or two for a little longer!  Laughing

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Come on you guys & gals lets just carry on debating & fighting (if we have to) - I choose that rather than corporate numbness so I’m not giving up!  Laughing

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

rtrooney - 25 March 2017 09:15 PM

Every business needs to reinvent itself occasionally. If only to remain fresh. I though that was one of the reasons for the corporate changeover at AG. Other than the masthead logo, I’ve not seen much change.

Do you mean like the change in JA & I’m sorry to have to mention GB also where the forums are now filled up with mods announcing new games with very few threads generated by members for discussion – at least here new game announcements are separated & there IS still some discussion!

I really hope it doesn’t become like JA. They have a fairly active community but it is no longer an adventure game community. Steam doesn’t really have a community at all, just a lot of random strangers asking for hints and technical help. You would never see a group playthrough or quiz there.

I like the Adventuregamers forums how they are and don’t think change is necessary, I just wish there were more people, more discussion, more debate. If you scroll back to 4-5 years ago there was a much larger range of people having discussions on all kinds of interesting topics. I don’t see much of that now.

If there is a way to “reinvent” Adventuregamers so as to attract new people, without turning it into a multigenre site or filling it with advertising and shops, I would be all for it.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Karlok - 25 March 2017 09:21 PM

.... When I fell seriously in love with the Witness, I went to reddit to read the enormous number of interesting discussions. Adventuregamers can certainly continue to offer something unique (staff/gamer reviews of bothe recent and older games, background articles, etc) but it can never compete with that.

That’s interesting - why couldn’t players playing the Witness be lured here for a discussion?  Mmm…... how search engines work maybe?...... so we could have game discussions here about any AG luring in all who are interested…........just a thought!

Quantity in itself does guarantee at the very least some quality by individual posters. Hive mind too, btw. Smile We have a subforum Adventure Games with maybe two Witness threads. A site like Giantbomb has a subforum The Witness with 110 threads. Yes, threads. Not posts. I couldn’t tell you how many Witness threads Reddit has, probably over a thousand. There’s no way you can lure people here when they can find everything they need there. AG forums have to offer something unique, like the playthroughs and quizzes. But I’m afraid not many people are interested in that.

Oscar - 26 March 2017 05:35 PM

I really hope it doesn’t become like JA. They have a fairly active community but it is no longer an adventure game community.

Fairly active?? Last time I visited JA to see if there was anything worth reading, there were a few oldtimers in the chitchat forum and the adventure forum consisted of administrator Karla’s posts announcing new releases. Before that, it was the playground of Len Green, but I guess he’s too old now to dominate JA. Truth be told, the JA forums are braindead and dependent on life saving equipment.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

1. I’m sorry I deserted AGSOTD without saying a word. I’m a bastard. Currently, I’m on a mission to play many more adventure games, and I’d like to post in AGSOTD in the future about games I’ve played.
2. Forum is more active then when I registered (or at least at the same level). I don’t care for newcomers (I’m a bastard), they’re kids anyway who think Life is Strange is the epitome of adventure. Grin Crazy . I’d like for old members to remain active. That’s all I’m asking. I know Advie will keep active. I love you Advie!!!!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

diego - 27 March 2017 09:03 AM

I know Advie will keep active. I love you Advie!!!!

I love ye Man!! Cool

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Advie - 27 March 2017 09:08 AM

I love ye Man!! Cool

Get a room, turtle doves!

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 27 March 2017 09:12 AM

I love ye Man!! Cool

We love you too, Karlok!!!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

diego - 27 March 2017 09:21 AM
Karlok - 27 March 2017 09:12 AM

I love ye Man!! Cool

We love you too, Karlok!!!

no, i mean i dont do threesomes

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 27 March 2017 08:44 AM
Oscar - 26 March 2017 05:35 PM

I really hope it doesn’t become like JA. They have a fairly active community but it is no longer an adventure game community.

Fairly active?? Last time I visited JA to see if there was anything worth reading, there were a few oldtimers in the chitchat forum and the adventure forum consisted of administrator Karla’s posts announcing new releases. Before that, it was the playground of Len Green, but I guess he’s too old now to dominate JA. Truth be told, the JA forums are braindead and dependent on life saving equipment.

Oh, is Karla posting about games now? That is exciting news. Last I checked she only ever posted about her ongoing struggles with every evil version of Windows since 98…

And RPG reviews too there. Really hope that is not the fate of this site.  Sick

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 27 March 2017 10:06 AM

Oh, is Karla posting about games now? That is exciting news. Last I checked she only ever posted about her ongoing struggles with every evil version of Windows since 98…

LOL!
She also posted a lot about her fear of spiders.
You must be a JA regular I don’t recognize. You’re not Bonsai in disguise, are you?

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 27 March 2017 07:13 PM

LOL!
She also posted a lot about her fear of spiders.
You must be a JA regular I don’t recognize. You’re not Bonsai in disguise, are you?

No. Bonsai posts here occasionally, doesn’t he?

I can’t even remember if I posted on the JA forums. If I did it was very rarely, and very long ago.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

1. I’m sorry I deserted AGSOTD without saying a word. I’m a bastard.

Recap: Currently only Friday and Saturday posts get posted with regularity. Oscar and I share Fridays. Lady K does Saturday, but may not be doing it much past some date in April. chrissie and Advie were doing the split like Oscar and I. But they were doing it on an every other month basis rather that a every other week. So, when one of the two drops out it has a much larger impact. Wilco gave us advance warning that he was pulling the plug. No blame there. I think he was doing Thursdays, but I’m not sure. I think Diego was doing “Cartoon Sunday” until he wasn’t.

If Lady K pulls the plug on Saturday, which she has every right to, because she will be hosting the game-fest which starts on April 1. That leaves chrissie positioning a pipe for however many days she wants. ???

I will consider sharing a Friday, as I did with Oscar. But I won’t do another 52-week solo.

Edit: All this means is that, at best. only three days are covered. Need other people to step up.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Hmmm, well I’m one of the bad people who deserted his post without so much as a “by your leave” i’m afraid! Foot in mouth

There were a number of reasons for it which include a big change in life circumstances and the fact it was starting to become a bit of a chore, but another major reason was that I began to feel less and less “at home” in these forums.

I’m old and ugly enough to know that forums change as people come and go and that’s fine. Unfortunately (for me) the forums here had changed into a place I was less “in tune” with so I wasn’t (and to some degree aren’t) inclined to read and post so much.

I’m not blaming anyone for that or complaining about it, it’s just the way it worked out I think. Maybe the way things are at the moment is just sufficiently different from how things were in the past that means some of the new people who would have been naturally “at home” here aren’t so much at the moment.

Swings and roundabouts really. Things will change again I hope and all will be fine. Until then I can stay in my self imposed “time off” and everybody’s happy! Laughing

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top