• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

kanaifu

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

How would you evolve the adventure genre?

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2014-08-20

PM

If it were up to you to evolve the adventure genre to stay in step with modern gaming, what would you change? How would you evolve the genre to be more competitive in today’s market?

Total Posts: 130

Joined 2010-12-09

PM

I dont think the Adventure Game genre needs to be evolved. Its the shark of genres!

But honestly, the ‘natural’ evolution of the AG has happened. I see RPG’s as an excellent distant cousin of Adventure Games. In many ways they are AG’s, with a wider variety of ways to go about solving a puzzle.
The best RPG’s are the ones that embrace that - that remove the need for combat and allow you to solve problems using your intelligence and additional skills you’ve picked up in the game world.

As soon as you start to modify the AG formula it starts to become other genres - because so many of those genres have their roots in AG’s.

But I suppose ‘gun to my head’ - Id love to see Adventure Games where the worlds are more reactive to the gamer. Where dialog trees change completely depending on HOW you play the game.
But again…push that far enough and you have the core of many RPG’s. Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Like it is right now: expanding the genre with innovative “indie” ideas, while at the same time remaining true to the core (and still producing classic games and even retro games).

“Modern gaming” is turning more and more to indies, which is where the AG genre is right now, so I quite like how things are “evolving”. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

try saying evolve 3 times as fast as you can!

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2014-08-20

PM

Pyke - 11 April 2015 06:51 PM

I dont think the Adventure Game genre needs to be evolved. Its the shark of genres!

But honestly, the ‘natural’ evolution of the AG has happened. I see RPG’s as an excellent distant cousin of Adventure Games. In many ways they are AG’s, with a wider variety of ways to go about solving a puzzle.
The best RPG’s are the ones that embrace that - that remove the need for combat and allow you to solve problems using your intelligence and additional skills you’ve picked up in the game world.

As soon as you start to modify the AG formula it starts to become other genres - because so many of those genres have their roots in AG’s.

But I suppose ‘gun to my head’ - Id love to see Adventure Games where the worlds are more reactive to the gamer. Where dialog trees change completely depending on HOW you play the game.
But again…push that far enough and you have the core of many RPG’s. Smile

The thing is, adventure games and the genre in general started off where you were able to do anything. In the earliest adventure game, Colossal Cave, killing was a big part of it. Sierra and LucasArts narrowed the genre down to the ‘no action’ rule and other limitations. The Adventure Genre as it once was, at it’s beginnings, was capable of anything. Which is why I don’t see say, QTE as making an adventure game something different. I view modern RPGs also as modern adventure games. There is a difference to me between games like Diablo, and games like Baldur’s Gate. In my eyes Baldur’s Gate was a modern adventure game.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

There is a difference between Diablo and Balder’s Gate. Not sure I’d say either is an adventure game though. However, I have a hard enough time accepting Quest for Glory as adventure game, so take that with a grain of salt. Wink

I do think QTE stuff from Telltale and Quantic Dream are adventures, but I’m more interested in the merging of platforming with adventure gaming. Games like Valiant Hearts, The Cave, Contrast, Rain, Brothers, Stick it to the Man, Stacking…I think these are pretty great examples of modern adventures. As well as the likes of L.A Noire and Murdered Soul Suspect, the latest Sherlock Holmes efforts and Life is Strange; proof a modern Telltale game WITHOUT QTE is perfectly possible. 

Nothing wrong with the classic-style either. Dead Synchronicity and Book of Unwritten Tales 2 have been among my highlights for the year thus far. 

I want more of all of it, really. Smile

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Dance Magic Dance - 11 April 2015 06:37 PM

If it were up to you to evolve the adventure genre to stay in step with modern gaming, what would you change? How would you evolve the genre to be more competitive in today’s market?

As I see it, adventure games are already more evolved than mainstream anyway. Look at all the variety of adventures we’ve developed, while mainstream gaming still has you roaming around shooting/bashing people in the head. I mean come on guys, Wolfenstein was over 20 years ago, move it along!

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Agree that genre always beyond modern gaming,from Jordan Mechner to Jane Jensen,from Tim Schafer to David Cage created evolutionary leaps on genre.If someone melt together all of these works strong points may reach further than but highly unlikely.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

DS was revolutionary and evolutionary, as i mentioned earlier in some thread, that i loved the creative use of Hardware itself in AnotherCode and Hotel Dusk.
Then on Xbone i was moved by Kinect use in Dark Dreams Don’t Die, best use of Kinect infact.

The interface/hardware itself can bring out more potential in this genre in exploring aspects from different angles, rather than being departmentalizing Genre in sierra/lucas
blueprint.

I think VR and hololens is perfect fit for next Big step, i myself has so many AG ideas, so i can expect that there would be some Dev with atleast one killer app AG on both VR and Hololens, regardless of it being mainstream hit.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’m playing contradiction right now and lovin it - more FMV games would be great. Or games with rendered graphics so well done they look perfectly realistic.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

The only “evolves” that are necessary are those that allow games to run on new, just-purchased computers without bugs.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I the general diversity available in adventure games now, but I would like to see games that offered more exploration and freedom to the player, less linearity and hand-holding. Bigger worlds also.
Don’t know if would make them more competitive but it is also I would like to see.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

The word “evolve” implies the whole genre changing into something else.
I do not see that as a benefit at all.

Evolving is not the same as experimentation.
I have no problems with experimentation.

“Evolving” everything in the same direction is actually anti-experimental.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 12 April 2015 02:46 PM

I the general diversity available in adventure games now, but I would like to see games that offered more exploration and freedom to the player, less linearity and hand-holding. Bigger worlds also.

Me too.

crabapple - 13 April 2015 12:03 PM

The word “evolve” implies the whole genre changing into something else.

Not necessarily, it just means that it gradually changes, but it doesn’t have to change into something completely new.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Oscar - 11 April 2015 11:09 PM

I mean come on guys, Wolfenstein was over 20 years ago, move it along!

I couldn’t agree more. Though, I’ve played my fair share of fps’es, I was pretty hooked on counter strike back in the day, and more recently I played a lot of Modern Warfare 2, but I’m so fed up by all the fps’es that the industry keeps spewing out. “Shoot these things, only this time with different/more/bigger weapons”. Shoot this, shoot that. I’m sick of it. Why aren’t people bored with this genre yet?

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I think this generation we’ll see some decline in the FPS genre. Yes, they still sell, but I don’t think they’ve been anywhere near as dominant as they used to be.

As for the adventure genre, like others have said, they’ve evolved quite a lot over the years and will continue to I expect.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top